Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What hardtail frame?
  • kevin1911

Evenin' all. Looking to call on the collective knowledge of STW for some advice.

I currently have a Rock Lobster B-52 hardtail that I use for blasting around the local woods and getting very muddy in the winter. It's basically a re-badged Kinesis Pha5e as far as I can work out. I really love it, but made the mistake of going for the 17.5" frame when I bought it instead of the 18.5" that was available at the time. When I ran it with a short(ish) stem (80 or 90mm) I found the handling was great but I'd end up with a sore lower back after most rides due to being too hunched up.

So I've had to go for a 120mm stem to compensate, which has sorted out the lower back issue but affected the handling a little negatively.

I've been hunting for ages for an identical 18.5" frame but not had any joy…

So I'm looking for suggestions of what else I should be looking at as a similar alternative. Looking to spend £150 max, so will probably need to be second hand. Only restrictions are that it must be able to take a 130-140mm fork without feeling like a chopper.

So far, I've considered:

– Orange Crush (maybe a bit overkill and heavy – I'll only be using it for trail riding)
    – On One 456 (not sure I want to go back to steel and having rust inside the frame – where I ride is VERY wet)
    – SC Chameleon (a bit expensive, and was a little underwhelmed when I test-rode one an Glentress last year, although it was too big and had a pretty heavy build)
    – Cove Stiffee (Again quite expensive and probably too stiff for my ass)
    – Mythic Scirroco (rare as hens teeth 2nd hand)
    – GT Avalanche (I love my Zaskar, but would a 140mm fork upset the geometry too much)

Anything else you can suggest? Sales pitches are welcome too 🙂

GW
    Free Member

if your saying 30mm in the stem reach has sorted you back, can't you simply bend your elbows very slightly more and keep your back in the exact same position?

kevin1911

I suppose i probably could, but not sure it would be much more comfortable. The one thing i've learned is that there's no substitute for a correctly-fitting frame.

bland

Im riding a Pipedream Sirius and love it. Have it set up with Rev's on (130mm)and it just flies through things. My 2nd bike is a 140mm Prophet and i still ride this the same as i do that.

Linky to site

They also have a preorder discount on their new one (i paid 390 for a 2nd hand one)

slowrider
    Free Member

prob be helpful to know the top tube length of the frame you are on now to give you an idea of what might be good and that bit longer. id add a marin rocky ridge frame to your list. (and not just because im selling one, it really is a cracking frame)

james
    Free Member

How much layback does your seatpost have, and how far back on the rails is the saddle? It might be you can get another 30mm out of the two?

Ti29er
    Free Member

On-One are having a sale.
    See web site for more info – you might try the Ti456 even!

CountZero

Get a steel frame and sqirt a load of Waxoil into every vent hole you can find. If you can find an 853 frame cheap or s/h, the main tubes don't really corrode, so you just need to waxoil the stays.

kevin1911

Thanks all. The top tube of the Rock Lobster is just a tad over 56cm, so I reckon something around 58 would be ideal.

James – I started off on a layback seatpost but found it odd sitting so far behind the pedals, almost like riding a go-cart. So did the proper set up with the plumb depth thing and ended up on an inline post, which nowputs me too far forward – classic signs of a frame that's a little too small.

I'd love one of those Ti456's – it not out of the equation yet but I'd be in the doghouse for quite a long time when I told the missus. She just gives me a knowing look when I come out with "It's too good a bargain to pass on".

Bland – I hadn't considered the Pipedream – but that's now on the shortlist. The Ti frame they do looks pretty good too.

Oh, and the Marin Rocky Ridge is on the shortlist already – if I could find one in Large in my price range I'd be very tempted!

All ideas welcome!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.