Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What hardtail 29er for £750 please….
  • qwerty
    Free Member

For a guy at work, he’s 6’3″.

Will be his first proper mtb, and he wants to hit some trails.

Max is £750 as a one off payment, he could go a little higher with 0% finance, but does need to buy basic kit.

I’m stuck on my phone and really need a laptop to trawl properly, any ideas appreciated.

ska-49
    Free Member

I think it’s hard to look past the On-One Parkwood

There’s also various boardman/13 bikes from Halfords or maybe some of the Pinnacles from Evans.

Bregante

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Parkwood and sell the reverb?

2015 Ragley Marely’s 650b and the same kinda spec for £850.

z1ppy

Parkwood if he can push it, Voodoo Bizango* or Pinnacle Ramin 3 if not.

Bizango options could include flogging the fork, use that cash and the spare £150 to buy a much better one. Note if he wait for a discount day (sign up for there emails) he’ll get 10% off without trying, then there BC discount and quidco.

prawny

I’d go bizango too. Fork isn’t even that bad. I’ve made mine almost bearable by putting reverb oil in the lower legs. I don’t think you’d get any forks substantially better for much less than £300.

CheesybeanZ

There’s a budget hardtail review in this months issue , can’t remember what won tho.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a budget hardtail review in this months issue , can’t remember what won tho.

It was the usual non comital “they’re all good at different things”, GT Zaskar was the most racey , the Rockhopper was the best for all day long rides, the Ragley for hooning about on.

Northwind

Voodoo Bizango is bloomin awesome, you could stick a Specialized sticker and a £1000 pricetag on it and it’d sell. If I had £750 to spend on a new bike, I’d get a Bizango and 41 kilos of haribo jelly babies.

I’ve not ridden the Parkwood though it does look pretty excellent. I’d not be comfortable recommending anyone shop at On One though these days.

acidchunks
    duckman

Mine! Used Niner Mcr with Rebas and new crossrides. Looking at it now and realising I haven’t even sat on it since May.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like the look of that Parkwood, though if he’s new to mtb maybe too gnarr of a bike? I guess it depends on the sorts of riding he wants to be doing. If it’s just a bit of causal xc then something like a Rock Hopper may be a better bet.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I love my Charge and am the same height as the purchaser so personally would go with this Cooker

Otherwise would go with the Pinnacle Ramin

tomcrow99

I’ve just bought a Bizango, also 6’3″. The 20″ is ok, at first it felt a little short but then realised the stem was the wrong way. I paid £480 for mine on a discount weekend and with bc. Incredible bike for the money. Was a bit heavy though so went 1×9 and put in a deore crank which saved a kilo, then swapped the awful bar and seat. All in its cost me £600 and weighs about 13kg. Loving how it rides. Total bargain.

chipster

I was kicking Bizango tyres in Halfords yesterday. Apparently, there’s 10% off all bikes this coming weekend.

barney
    Free Member

You can get the Specialized Rockhopper 2014 for £750 at the moment. However, I found that the fork was a bit noodly (28mm stanchions). Very good frame though. OP was after 29ers, and the Ragley and Zaskar are both 650b and over budget – OP’s budget is £750. FWIW, in a review of bikes of different characters the Ragley ‘won’ it for me. But there really aren’t many crap bikes these days.

2015 stuff tends to have better spec for the money but you can get a lot of 2014 stuff cheaper now as they clear the warehouses to make way for new stock.

winston
    Free Member

Sunn Modular S1 29er at CRC ? – pretty unbeatable spec for the price

Rev solo air 120mm
    X7/X9
    Ti railed saddle
    all up weight 11.8kg
    and more importantly comes in a 20.5″ for your taller gentleman

qwerty
    Free Member

That Cube LTD 29 is an awesome spec, otherwise the 2014 Ramin 4. I think colour preference is gonna be the decider.

bikecrack
    Free Member

Cube LTD 29″. I’m ride that bike, and he is very and he is very confident in mountain.

ads678

Cube LTD 29″. I’m ride that bike, and he is very and he is very confident in mountain.

What?

bikecrack
    Free Member

Cube LTD 29″ – perfect ride in the mountains.Very good cornering stability

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What hardtail 29er for £750 please….’ is closed to new replies.