Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What hard tails have a tapered head tube?
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Just replaced forks on my trance x and now have a spare fork, wheels and a few other bits, with which im going to build a hard tail as a spare.

So what hard tail frames are there out there that will take the tapered fork, selling my fork and buying another isnt an option as i want all bits to be interchangeable between the 2 bikes.

Are there any frames out there that are a few years old or is the whole tapered thing too new?

its a 120mm fork so looking at an xc frame

orena45

The Ragley MmmBop has a 1.5″ headtube so will take a tapered fork (I’ve got one on mine), and is designed around a 120 – 150mm fork.

Not available new anymore but you should be able to pick one up 2nd hand. It’s not a looker but it rides great!

avdave2

Well a new C456 can be had for £300 although it won’t work with all tapered forks. I don’t recall if that only applies to the 16″ though.

si-wilson
    Free Member

The Chumba HX1 has a tapered HT, plus they are now £299, and i’ll go out on a limb here and say there is no better finished frame around for that money 🙂

Chumba HX1 by srbwilson, on Flickr

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

really loving my On One Carbon 456.
    to add to the above post, from their website:
    Note: 16 inch frame is not compatible with certain models of tapered steerer forks (Rockshox Reba / Sector / Revelation). Please contact us if you are unsure.

backtothetop
    Free Member

i like that chumba, off to find out more,thats the sort of thing im after. cheers people.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I’m afraid our website is down at the moment, but you are welcome to email me with any questions.

tony24
    Free Member

carbon 456 without a doubt !

qert6
    Free Member

Any frame designed to take a semi integrated (44mm) heatset should take a tapered steerer providing they dont have a super hydroformed head tube that necks in a lot just above the lower race. you just need to get the right headset. Hope sell theirs as mix and match as do cane creek and I think nuke proof too. I have a nuke proof XX44 to taper set up on my genesis and seems to work well. The only small watchout is that the lower cup becomes external so you gain a little stack height and slacken the front end a touch.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Orange Elite? Can take a 120mm fork. I really like mine (not sold on the colours, currently being resprayed), for me it’s the best frame I have owned and I have owned some very fancy Hardtails and full susses, in the past. Lovely handling bike.

geologist
    Free Member

Ive got a tapered fork (Revelations)in my 2011 Blue Pig frame, used the Nuke Proof headset reccommended to make the adaption.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well a new C456 can be had for £300 although it won’t work with all tapered forks. I don’t recall if that only applies to the 16″ though.

They have a fix for that IIRC.

Get a C456, they are ace

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What hard tails have a tapered head tube?’ is closed to new replies.