Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What hard tail for hardcore trail ripping
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I borrowed a Dialled Alpine today for a bit of fun having not ridden a hardtail for over 5 years (but having spent 15 years on a hard tail before that). I have to say, I had a blast once I rememebered that in order to ride a hardtail with any kind of speed you need to be standing up and pumping like rent boy down the docks 😀 (no offence intended).
    So if I’m going to get a hard tail, for really aggresive trail riding, what would the short list be, if we’re including the Alpine as first on that list (and no, I don’t want an On One).

tails
    Free Member

lizard

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

seems to me you’ve answered your own question

with the right answer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

dialled alpine
    chameleon
    BFE
    stiffee.

all much the same. pick the one with the nicest colour.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

nicolai argon fr,
    evil sovereign,
    alpine,
    cotic BFe
    santa cruz chameleon

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and no, I don’t want an On One

BAN HIM!

geetee1972
    Free Member

‘All I said was that piece of fish was good enough for Jehova’

Is the Cotic Soul up to the task if your smooth with your riding?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

What about the Merida long travel h/t? 3500 or something?? Anyway, prob worth a deko.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Nearly – Merida Matts TFS 350Trail D is the beastie I’m thinking of.

auricgoldfinger

Geetee1972 – I’d like to say a Nicolai Argon FR too, but I can’t yet as mine is still un-built (the one over on the MTBR thread)…..One day I hope to let you know…..

hora
    Free Member

I own a Santa Cruz Chameleon and a On One 456 Summer Season. I’m the ultimate gear-queer yet both are very very capable. Evil (no offence) is overpriced.

the_lecht_rocks

geetee : ‘don’t want an on one’ ?

rips the same trails as my Helius AM, in a different, more complex and more gratifying way 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

A nicolai would be a great choice but the cost is prohibitive (although the wait for a Nicola might give me the chance to save up to pay for it!)

What colour are you going for? It’s always the hardest part of buying a Nicolai.

HTTP404
    Free Member

genesis alptitude
    whyte 19
    pace 305
    cove stiffee or handjob

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got an Alpine, its well good. I’d recommend that.

DMR Trailstar is also an obvious choice, they ride really well and are cheap too.

auricgoldfinger

Geetee – it is the yellow one on the thread over on MTBR. There is a problem with it though, which is unresolved at this point – getting some new dropouts (hopefully this week….). Problem with rear wheel alignnment in the frame – hoping it is problem with the dropouts as the frame seems to be mm perfect.

the_lecht_rocks

the Nicolai, Chameleon and the Stiffee are just that – too stiff… lack finesse and lack subtelty.
    what you want is a frame that’ll flatter the front end, and 140mm is bang on the limit for any HT ime. alloy frames are just OTT once paired with longer travel forks…….heresy ? perhaps, but based on my experience, true.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

how big are you geetee?

i may be looking to get rid of a nic.

the_lecht_rocks

auric – i heard about it – seems as though the dropouts were the wrong code no ???

dropoff

Tlr, I can’t get into an argument about this ‘cos my experience is limited to the Stiffee BUT when youre flat out on a Quantocks downhill and the rocks are bouncing your eyeballs out of theyre sockets how do you feel this finesse and subtelty ?

HTTP404
    Free Member

alloy frames are just OTT once paired with longer travel forks…….heresy ?

Care to expand on that? because that just sounds like plain bollox.

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

hardcore ripping is da bomb-lulz.camelion=1one.

smokey_jo

Loving my ZEN. Lower BB than an On-One and a steeper seat angle to get the weight over the front better. It just eggs you on to attack the good bits. Been riding a slidey drop-out inbred for a while.

The inbred is super stable on fast rocky stuff in a straight line though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tlr, I can’t get into an argument about this ‘cos my experience is limited to the Stiffee BUT when youre flat out on a Quantocks downhill and the rocks are bouncing your eyeballs out of theyre sockets how do you feel this finesse and subtelty ?

Id have to agree with this. If your riding smoothish stuff at a slow to medium pace then a ti or nice steel frame probably feels smoother than a stiff alu one.

But if your braying it down a rocky track at about 30mph then I doubt it matters what the frame is made from, its still going to be harsh at the back end.

the_lecht_rocks

lol @ dropoff in the quantocks – i live in the north east of scotland, where we have real rocks and proper mountains……
    subtlety exists in Ti and steel, esp 853…..

alloy frames mated to long travel suspension fork….lets think about it…..suspension fork provides give and tracking…..stiff alloy frame provides acelleration and direct input without give or tracking………go figure…..sheesh !

dropoff

So sorry, not trying to be rude but just don’t get what youre trying to say. Maybe you could explain.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The thing is though, a Ti frame doesnt move 5 inches like a sus fork does. Surely all it does is take the edge off bumps very slightly and makes the ride a bit more comfy, particularly if your sat down.

I doubt it provides more grip like a sus frame does, it still bounces about at back like any other hardtail

auricgoldfinger

TLR – not sure yet, could be. Just waiting to get some new ones to find out….We’ll see soon over at the other thread…

the_lecht_rocks

ti and 853 frames have the ability to be fabricated to provide non lateral flex which translates as give.
    aloy doesn’t as it would fatigue earlier thus failing in service.
    now i’m bored.
    geetee – buy a Ti456 – best HT i’ve ridden and my Hummer’s also available for sale consequently 🙂

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Put a fat tubeless tyre at lowish pressure into the equation and things would start to even out though.

the_lecht_rocks

taylforth – true, but Ti mesmerisingly does have superb tracking and feel – if designed correctly of course..superior in every way to aluminium based alloys.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Simply Oil Y

I guess you mean height right? 5ft 11″ – long in the torso though so need a top tube of about 23″. What have you got? I might be interested.

the_lecht_rocks

oldgrump – true also, but on rock, you’ll puncture loads and loads – even tubeless (i do frequently)…….2.4″ Big Betty on the Ti456 currently – still puncturing on my fave rock descent….

IHN

and no, I don’t want an On One

Good job too, you’re not cool enough to join our club anyway.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

hhhmmm,

probably too small (why i’m getting rid), size small nicolai argon fr. in ano black.

the_lecht_rocks

the irony is, the on one Ti456 is the ultimate proponent of hard core trail ripping available 🙂

geetee : one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456 one one Ti456

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

but tlr,

if a nicolai argon fr is expensive,
    how can he afford a ti 456? i would love one, but they don’t seem to come up for sale, as no one wants to get rid!

dropoff

My mate rides a Kobe Ti and is one of the best riders I know, he’s owned a huge variety of hardtail frames made from all types of materials. He openly admits that he can’t feel any difference when the bike is ridden hard on very rough terrain. I do believe that some steel and Ti frames do take the sting out of a trail but the tubes have to be more flexible in order to do so, this however makes them weaker.

the_lecht_rocks

dropoff – i had a Kobe Ti, have a Hummer and a Ti456.
    believe me when i tell you the Ti456 is in a different league 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

A steel 456 isn’t that compliant a ride and is comparable to other alloy frames I’ve ridden in comfort.

Alloy frames can be designed to give a compliant ride – like the RC305 and Whyte 19. It’s all to do with tube profiling, design and geometry. To dismiss alloy frames because somebody who loves a bike with a damned ugly top tube says so on an internet forum is even more OTT.

Go out try.
    But don’t buy a frame designed around a banana. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What hard tail for hardcore trail ripping’ is closed to new replies.