Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What happens when your Garmin's memory is full?
  • franki
    Free Member

As title, really…
    My Edge 200 has (iirc) 130 hours of ride memory.
    If I were to run out in the middle of a ride, what would happen?
    Does the unit just stop recording and you lose the rest of the ride, or do you get an alert and the opportunity to delete some old files before carrying on?
    I know I can clear some history now, but I’d rather keep the rides in the GPS until I have to make room, but I can’t be sure I’ll remember to keep checking if I’m getting close to the max.

wwaswas

pretty sure it just starts overwriting the oldest data in memory.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My old 810 stopped recording..
    My 1000 hasn’t got to that point yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

pretty sure it just starts overwriting the oldest data in memory.

Pretty sure it explicitly states in the manual that it does no such thing.

It says it will display a message, then you will have to manually delete activities to free up space. It doesn’t say whether it pauses your current ride or finishes or deletes it or what. Either way you’ll lose data because you’ll have to delete an earlier ride.

legend
    Free Member

pretty sure it’ll burst into flames, being a Garmin n all*

*issue will be cleared in the next 20 updates

wwaswas
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Delete the rides now. Garmins have tonnes of software bugs and one of them is corrupting the whole thing if there’s too many old rides in there.

Just connect to a PC and copy everything from the Activities folder to your PC if you want to keep the files, then delete them on the device, either from the folder or using the menus on the Garmin. You can keep the ‘totals’ that clocks up your miles etc.

If you want specific routes to follow you can load them onto the Garmin as routes. Garmin Connect and then syncing with Express in theory can do this though I found it rarely worked (I find Express a bit flaky anyway). There’s also Garmin Basecamp for the desktop which is quite powerful for doing routes.

Oh and tip for saving space – delete languages you don’t need from the ‘Text’ folder. If you only need English, delete everything in there. The languages take up a lot of space.

Also, backup the device profile and settings while you’re at it. Garmins do corrupt themselves whenever they feel like it and while you can reset it, it’s a pain setting it all up again. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B87d71a10-4ac5-11e2-e8a7-000000000000%7D

franki
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Probably best to delete some of the history then – I’d already saved all the “activities” to the pc.

(I’ve had no success syncing with routes to follow either. You’d think it would be a doddle. Never had an issue the other way round.)

faustus

I have an edge 200, and all rides are on strava. It was getting full up so I just deleted the lot via the PC. I didn’t keep copies on the PC because it’s not like you need to keep it as proof you did a ride is it? There’s no point being sentimental about a gps track…:-)

Did you mean uploading a course to follow? I’ve had no trouble just copying a file into the ‘courses’ folder

andytherocketeer

depends on the exact model, and whether it’s the internal track log memory or external microSD.
    eg old etrex has a 100 or 200 file limit on the microSD, and gives no error messages or anything, and just appears to stop saving files.
    I copy them to PC, file them in a big folder that will never be looked at ever again, and delete them.
    iirc internal store tells you there’s no memory left, but I’ve never ridden a bike far enough to hit that limit, before my occaisional purge and loading up of tracks, routes, etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

faustus – Member
    I didn’t keep copies on the PC because it’s not like you need to keep it as proof you did a ride is it? There’s no point being sentimental about a gps track…:-)

True. Some maybe 😀

Though I keep them as they’re the original FIT files, just in case I want to do something with them. They’re all uploaded to Connect as well as synced to Strava anyway, but then they might lose them… err, okay maybe I don’t really need them 😀 . Not like they take up much space though backed up to the PC (on in OneDrive in my case).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What happens when your Garmin's memory is full?’ is closed to new replies.