Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what happens if you get chain suck on a carbon 456?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

As title really, from the pics online there doesnt seem to be a metal protector on the chain stay ! if you kept on getting chain suck would it weaken the carbon ? cheers

Rich

compositepro
    Free Member

buy a protective stick on pad

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

fair enough 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Let’s put it this way;

It’s not as bad as Chainsuck on an 853 Inbred.
    Chainsuck killed my Inbred chainstay in a year. My C456 has a lot more chainring clearance and doesn’t suffer from it at all

fadda

Richie, don’t say you’re another one with a Superlight/c456 combo!

I had this on my c456, and sent pics of the resulting (fairly grim-looking) gouges to On-one. The response was that it’s so over-engineered there that it’s unlikely to ever be a problem.

Doesn’t look very nice, but you can fill it with fibreglass filler, apparently…

stevemtb
    Free Member

From having chain suck on another hardtail it’s very quick to rip off any clear stickers/tape stuck there for protection. Are there special stick on pads that’ll stop this?

If it happens once get an anti-chain suck device. Haven’t tested my device in the mud yet but if you’ve got the X9 build c456 with 3×10 that’s the drive train that sucked badly on my Niner – reports from the bike shop at Relentless 24 were that the majority of people coming in with bad chain suck had SRAM 3×10…..

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have a befe at the moment but saw the c456 at the bike show picked up the frame and thought what a very light frame ….and its cheap 🙂

brant
    Free Member

richieokeefe1

Did I spend a while talking to you and your mate?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

yes you did i’m on a verge on buying one as you know …thought I might ask the question ask I forgot to ask TBH….no harm intended …my credit card is in me hand 🙂

Northwind

Apparently there’s a load of extra material in there, so it’d take a huge amount of damage to cause a problem. I’ve cabletied mine up just like I’d do with a metal frame and other’n that, it’s just going to have to get on with it.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

thought as much ..its just that when I saw the green 456 in the flesh it looked gorgeous !!! I will just have to man up and get it scratched !!!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I haven’t had chainsuck in a long time.

andyl
    Free Member

Cableties work very well. Apparently the ACS thingy doesn’t fit (and it’s £30).

I made my own anti-chainsuck device. Tempted to try and market it as it works amazingly well (touch wood – bugger now I have gone and tempted fate!)

Northwind

The K-edge thing is lovely, but doesn’t really work by all accounts- every thread about them ends in a picture of a mangled one. Not a bad idea though, I copied it by whacking a bolt through the stinger on the big bike, works very well and the extra metal in the Stinger keeps it all together.

tony24
    Free Member

Had mine since the first lot of pre orders had chain suck 1 time only took small layer of the matt clear coat off no damage to carbon at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what happens if you get chain suck on a carbon 456?’ is closed to new replies.