Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What happens if you decrees the rear shock length on a FS?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Obviously it will decrees travel & slacken the head & seat tube angles, & lover the BB hight a tad, but on a 155mm travel FS just how much difference would there be going from a 200mm ETE rear shock to a 165mm?
    BTW the front fork has Talas so I would bring that down to 120mm from 150mm to help compensate the angles.

All thoughts appreciated!

Cheers.

spooky_b329

Reckon you’ll ruin it!

Pedal strikes all the time, probably mess up the geometry so it could bob loads, or could increase the leverage so make it blow through its travel easier.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If it’s 200mm eye to eye, it’s probably 57mm stroke, so going down to a 165mm eye to eye means you’re cycling the rear suspension 61% into its travel.

I would imagine that apart from anything else, and even with a shorter stroke length, the rear wheel will hit the frame. Migh not but then you’re into the issue of leverage design and being that far into the travel means the way the suspension works is likely to be screwed up. The bike will probably be designed with a progressive rate, so the further in the travel you are, the harder it is to compress. If you’re starting at 61% of the intended travel that would make the bike ride very stiff with little or no small bump compliance.

It will be a dog mate. I’ve short stroked a bike myself before but only by 7mm on a 57mm stroke shock. Even then I could feel the impact on the way the suspension worked.

geetee1972
    Free Member
    2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks, I was looking at options to reduce the travel, but it seems a bad idea when you look at the leverage ratio.
    As before, many thanks to you all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What happens if you decrees the rear shock length on a FS?’ is closed to new replies.