Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • What happens if the coalition breaks down?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

fatmax – Member

I read page 1 and then flicked to 4, and the discussion had moved on.
    however, i fail to see why people show such blind faith in labour after the last few years, i just don’t get it.

That’s the problem when you quickly flick through stuff…….you just don’t get what people are saying.

I have seen no example of anyone suggesting “blind faith in Labour”. Although apparently you have seen several examples of this.

Still as always…….don’t let your blind prejudices get in the way of the facts.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Mancjon that’s life I’m afraid, and things will never be perfect and I suspect there’s no workable solution to your issue.

We just all need to accept that life is what we ourselves make it. We should rely on ourselves to provide and not the state.

Lifer
    Free Member

Awwwww I got excited then.

fatmax

ernie – take you point about skipping a couple of pages.
    but i don’t have any blind prejudices – i’m not a fan of any of them! voted lib dem at the last election…so i ain’t particularly happy!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NorthernStar

We just all need to accept that life is what we ourselves make it. We should rely on ourselves to provide and not the state.

🙄

Disabled, blind, learning difficulties, chronic illness, etcetc

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Tandem Jeremy don’t be petty – of course I’m not advocating not supporting people genuinely in need.

To people who keep quoting GDP. Well this is only half the problem. What we really need to be looking at as a country is the balance of trade between what we import and what we export. This is something the private sector can help with. The public sector can offer virtually no help in this area.

There has been many studies done which shows that the health and size of the private sector in a country is inversely proportional to the size and influence of the public sector.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but i don’t have any blind prejudices – i’m not a fan of any of them! voted lib dem at the last election…so i ain’t particularly happy!

I apologise unreservedly for my comment in that case.

Lifer
    Free Member

There has been many studies done which shows that the health and size of the private sector in a country is inversely proportional to the size and influence of the public sector.

Source? Link?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Germany is a good example – higher tax, higher public spending, health economy – remember healthcare is mainly in the private sector in ~Germany and accounts for 12 % of GDP

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

health

private sector

Suppose it depends on who’s judging the health. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NorthernStar – Member

Tandem Jeremy don’t be petty – of course I’m not advocating not supporting people genuinely in need.

So infact you don’t believe

Lifer
    Free Member

Actually thinking about it, the ratio between private/public is quite fatuous, of course the private sector will increase as the public sector decreases as it picks up the roles/services left behind.

However, is the public or private sector better at providing certain services? eg would it make sense to push for more private sector involvement which may help the economy if it is detrimental to the services provided?

I think not, as the example of Atos assessments of fit for work shows.

Also infrastructure outsourced to the private sector is heavily subsidised, we pay more subsidies for the rail network now than we ever did for BR.

mancjon
    Free Member

Mancjon that’s life I’m afraid, and things will never be perfect and I suspect there’s no workable solution to your issue.

But there is a solution, make the better off pay more. Not asking for perfection just a more balanced society. To say that it’s just life is exactly how govts such as the present one get away with what they are currently doing.

It’s also a cop out ie. “yes it’s unfair, yes it’s not right that some people earn a fortune but others struggle daily but heh, that’s just life isn’t it ?”

We should always accept that the primary responsibility is with ourselves but unfortunately not everyone can manage and that is where i believe the state should help out.

konabunny
    Free Member

There has been many studies done which shows that the health and size of the private sector in a country is inversely proportional to the size and influence of the public sector

Eh? You mean, the “health and size of the private and public sectors” as a proportion of GDP or what? If so, that’s a pretty meaningless statement.

uplink
    Free Member

i’m not a fan of any of them! voted lib dem at the last election.

I wondered who it was

konabunny
    Free Member

voted lib dem at the last election.

How’s that turned out? 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

There has been many studies done which shows that the health and size of the private sector in a country is inversely proportional to the size and influence of the public sector

WTF has it got to do with anything. I think we all understand if we nationalised everything the private sector would shrink and if we sold everything the private sector would grow and vice versa. Why anyone would need to do a study to understand this is lost on me
    WTF does health mean in this sense?

Lifer
    Free Member

4OD still has the excellent and very relevant documentary based on Naomi Klein’s book available to watch:

The Shock Doctrine

Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘What happens if the coalition breaks down?’ is closed to new replies.