• This topic has 70 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jobro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • What happened to bar ends?
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

I know they’re not fashionable anymore but when was that memo distributed? I had a long spell of not biking. Did/does anyone like them? Or what was wrong with them?

scotroutes

Nothing wrong with them…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nBgk6d]IMAG0216[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

6079smithw
    Free Member

Nice bike scotroutes!

scaredypants

Took mine off the geary bike earlier today to avoid catching on overgrown bushes, not sure I’ll put them back on. SS, though, definitely staying

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Use mine more than the grips.

dti

Put them on last year – great for changing body position on climbs.

jam-bo

Wide bars is what happened.

Lionheart
    Free Member

A few pairs on bikes here so must have missed the memo as well – some of (if not most) of our kit is becoming distinctly ‘old school’!

Lionheart
    Free Member

We’ve even got a set of ‘egg’ rings!

teethgrinder

I’d love a pair of welded Onza titanium L-bends

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I rely massively on them for long (esp hilly, and it always is) mtb treks. I’m sure it’s a fashion crime to mount them on riser bars but they function very well on straight too :-p

scotroutes

Pretty much the same for me too. I have a set of Dual Control shifters in the garage and I was wondering if I’d be able to change gear from the bar ends with them 🙂

zippykona

Bush grabbers I call them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I only had some in the 90’s because of fashion/peer pressure. Never really knew what they were for but I tried to used them just to fit in.

nach
    Free Member

I had some on my last bike, which was 8 speed XC, and found them really handy. I’ve found the extra hand position nice on long commutes too.

Now I’m on a ten speed with much wider bars, they’re really not necessary though. The bars give me any leverage I need.

dooge
    Free Member

Probably down to less racey positions on bikes. My Nomad is more sit up and beg than stretched and racey so maybe bar ends arent practical or fitting. As someone said above, wide bars also happened.

Northwind

I still like them on long rides just for the extra hand positions, it’s not that they’re better, they’re just different. But I think wider bars took away a lot of the point, I used to use them for honking up hills but that was mostly because we all had bars the length of a pencil.

I think it caused some people physical pain when I took my lovely Soda with its 710mm risers and stuck cane creek ergo bar ends on it 😆 Gopping.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a stubby set of control tech ones on my hard tail, great for climbing as they always have been. Flatbars only though, they look gash on risers.

downshep

Both my MTBs have risers and bar ends. I also wear lycra.

Practicality and comfort over fashion.

bigrich

nuthin’

they are ace on climbs.

jekkyl

Eff fashion, do what’s good for you.

slackalice
    Free Member

Lovely! 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

What happened to bar ends?

MBUK decided they were too ‘jey’ [sic] perhaps?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love my power studs, as above I use them more than my grips.

chestrockwell

General rule on retrobike is they are fine for flat bars but a no no on risers. Nearly everyone has risers now so that’s what happened. 😉

Or, geometry has changed, as mentioned above, so there’s less need for ’em.

Still can’t beat mk1 X Light Stubbies in blue. 8)

br
    Free Member

Note, all (almost) the bikes pictured above have older-geometry and narrow bars – therefore the bar ends are needed to get the right ‘hand-position’.

NZCol

I use Ergon grips with stubby ends, the liftie in Whistler laughed at them as he took my bike off the chairlift…

cookeaa

I had some L bends in the 90s on my DB ascent, they never made it on to another bike after that though so I’d say they were drifting out of favour by about 95-96 perhaps…

To a certain extent MTB “fashion” happened and their associations with XC racing when DH and trail type riding was more en-vogue and we were all fitting shorter stems and riser bars…

TBH these days they probably wouldn’t be much use to me, except if I was building a MTB up for touring or bikepacking, I can see the benefits of having a flat bar with bar ends for churning out miles on a laden MTB…

bigrich

Note, all (almost) the bikes pictured above have older-geometry and narrow bars – therefore the bar ends are needed to get the right ‘hand-position’.

not me!

780mm bars, 70mm stem, 140mm Revs.

what they do is enable you to open out your chest, change your stance and give you more leverage on the ends of the bars.

Good for muscling the bike up the hill with a 1×10.

I like what works.

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t get this either – what they’re great for is rotating the wrist to a much more comfortable position. Ergon grips and the like help, but for climbing there’s nothing like having parallel grips to pull on.

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    …but for climbing there’s nothing like having parallel grips to pull on.

Which is why dropbars are so good… 🙂

(But a lot of faff to fit on an mtb)

bencooper
    Free Member

Which is why dropbars are so good…

True story: when I was young and foolish, John Tomac started racing with drop bars. I wanted to do that, so fitted drops to my British Eagle. Then I found that the STI brake levers were too far away, so I bent the brake levers to fit.

A year or so later, I took the drops off and put flat bars back on – and of course the brake levers were now touching the bars, so I bent them back.

First big downhill, pulled the brakes hard, and both brake levers snapped off. That’s when I learned about metal fatigue 😉

bigrich

Which is why dropbars are so good…

you’ve got a CX/gravel bike, surely?

plus-one

Left in the 90’s thankfully 😉

PhilO
    Free Member

….what they’re great for is rotating the wrist to a much more comfortable position. ….for climbing there’s nothing like having parallel grips to pull on.

This.

I find that without the option of turning my palms inwards I get something akin to Tennis Elbow. So I have Fleegle bars fitted with bar ends, and a second set mounted on the bend inboard of the levers. Fashion Police be damned, it works for me!

As for the common ‘they snag on vegetation’ argument, I really don’t get this. They don’t make the bar any wider, and I’d rather smack a bar end into a tree than my knuckles any day of the week. 😉

teasel
    Free Member

As for the common ‘they snag on vegetation’ argument, I really don’t get this. They don’t make the bar any wider

I’ve had a couple of falls as a result of them getting snagged on brambles and the like. I don’t know whether or not a non-bar ended bike would have fared better in the same circumstances but I haven’t had the same style of crash on the bike without them.

I still use them for all the reasons given above and, as a few have mentioned, spend more time on them than the grips. Well, sort of palm on bar plug/fingers on bar end kinda style, if you get my drift.

andyl
    Free Member

I have bar ends mounting inboard of my grips. Reasons are snagging, risk of damaging the end of the bar if the bike goes down hard on the bar end and so I can use the brakes and shifters when using them. They feel great and put me in a nice position for slogging up climbs. My wrists are screwed from breaking them so i spend most of a ride on them, just switching to the normal grips when I am in twisty or downhill stuff.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

bars were originally racey narrow and bar ends gave leverage and also different positions for long grinding climbs. They were essential, extra leverage on short climbs and extra positions for long climbs, where open chest position was often more comfy.

Now bars have grown wider and wider and they largely cover these other positions. We are all unique, our bikes are also unique, so its no shock people still add them.

I rebuilt a retro bike with original Answer Hyperlites recently and was quite shocked at the narrow low position… it brought back a lot of painful memories! I’m looking ofr matching Answer barends if anybody has any.

m360
    Free Member

Cane Creek Ergo bar ends are the way forward (and have been since the end of the 90’s). Wouldn’t be without mine.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nearly every pic with them in this thread the bike seems to look more like a tourer/hybrid owned by the over 50’s than a MTB . Maybe that’s why MTB’ers who just rag their bikes round the woods/trail centres don’t see the need them?
    The MTB equivalent of the Zimmer frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘What happened to bar ends?’ is closed to new replies.