Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • what gun for mtbing?
  • hatter

Not an M1 rifle?

Nope, M1 Carbine

willard

hot_fiat, I’m not wishing to defend 2nd amendment people but, statistically, swimming pools are more dangerous to small children that household firearms.

I do think that some people get carried away with it all though. That might be about as British an understatement as I can say.

5thElefant
    Free Member
    officialtob
    Free Member

Christ I’m glad I live in the UK.

This^ + 1000

outspoken
    Free Member

There are plenty of guns in the UK!

plyphon
    Free Member

Not concealed ones there isn’t.

TooTall
    Free Member

I live in the US. I have about as much chance of being involved in a gun-related incident as you do in the UK.

A vocal minority does not make a whole nation. Look at gun deaths in the USA. The figures are broadly:
    younger black urban males killing other young black urban males
    older white rural males killing themselves

It’s a bit mad here but the gun issue is all bent out of shape by a very vocal minority who use very traditional values to stir it up.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not concealed ones there isn’t.

You’d have to tell us how you know that – or do you have X ray vision?

GrahamS

There are, but people (that I know) don’t make a habit of carrying a sub-machine gun while walking the dog or packing a 9mm to go cycling. 😯

Number of firearm deaths in UK: 0.25 per 100,000 population.
    Number of firearm deaths in US: 10.30 per 100,000 population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

I have about as much chance of being involved in a gun-related incident as you do in the UK.

Not according to that^ you don’t.

rusty90
    Free Member

Not legal concealed ones there isn’t.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Number of firearm deaths in UK: 0.25 per 100,000 population.
    Number of firearm deaths in US: 10.30 per 100,000 population.

Or 0 per 1000 and 0 per 1000.

Not according to that^ you don’t

Pretty much not going to happen.

grum
    Free Member

I live in the US. I have about as much chance of being involved in a gun-related incident as you do in the UK.

Hmmm…..

GrahamS

Or 0 per 1000 and 0 per 1000… Pretty much not going to happen.

Okay to put it another way, if it was a disease then it would rank as joint 12th next to Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis on the CDC causes of death, ahead of such things as renal disease and Parkinson’s.

But no one ever dies of those eh?

yunki
    Free Member

Back to the OP… For Most UK trail centres a cap gun should suffice, but if I’m riding wild trails, I prefer a spud gun

5thElefant
    Free Member

But no one ever dies of those eh?

You’d better not look at deaths from cars…

TooTall
    Free Member

Not according to that^ you don’t.

If it were uniformly applied across the whole population, you would be correct. However, as I indicated elsehere in the post, there are greater details available in the statistics and they involve age, race, gender and location. Four variables that mean I do not have the same statistical risk as everyone else here.

I don’t agree with the gun laws here, but I have examined them and the statistics more than most, partly because I moved here and partly because ‘what you see depends on where you are standing’. I still disagree with the whole gun lobby here, but I understand it a whole lot more.

Hmmm…..

Do you have the statistics for ‘gun deaths involving white, 42 year old suburban British mountain bikers in the USA’?

hatter

He’s failed his history then.

Yup, and physics, once got into a long conversation with him about energy security only for it to become apparent that he didn’t know the difference between nuclear fusion and fission. Attempting to gently explain this without embarrassing him was a pretty toe curling process.

Fox news; it makes you dumb.

GrahamS

You’d better not look at deaths from cars…

I do. I love the stats me. But saying cars are really dangerous doesn’t mean you can just ignore other dangers from heart disease or guns.

Four variables that mean I do not have the same statistical risk as everyone else here.

I agree your personal risk is lower than the US population average.

I suspect it is still quite a fair margin higher than the UK population average though – but obviously I don’t have the data to show that.

I do think there is a danger in the American gun debate for certain conservative quarters to argue: “it’s okay, it’s not ‘Americans’ dying, it’s just blacks killing blacks”.

I’m not convinced that is entirely borne out by the stats – and I’m not sure that it makes any difference if it was.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I do. I love the stats me. But saying cars are really dangerous doesn’t mean you can just ignore other dangers from heart disease or guns.

Now that’s where we disagree. If something is low risk I don’t worry about it, so something else equally low risk is equally of no worry.

But, I’m not the anxious type.

GrahamS

If something is so low risk I don’t worry about it then something else equally low risk is equally of no worry.

So because the risk of being killed by a car in the US is 10.4 per 100,000 – roughly the same the risk of being killed by a gun – then you don’t “worry” about either of those?

But, I’m not the anxious type.

Neither am I – I just consider risks.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So because the risk of being killed by a car in the US is 10.4 per 100,000 – roughly the same the risk of being killed by a gun – then you don’t “worry” about either of those?

Yes, neither is a meaningful risk. It’s simply not going to happen.

wiggles
    Free Member

The car vs gun thing is pointless though.

You can’t drive your gun to work…

*cue loads of smartarse posts of military vehicle pictures*

TooTall
    Free Member

You can’t drive your gun to work…

But what if you drive with your gun to work in a car?

😯

BikePawl
    Free Member

A BB gun, it does fire bottom brackets doesn’t it, or am I getting confused.

GrahamS

Yes, neither is a meaningful risk. It’s simply not going to happen.

That’s why you never hear of anyone being killed in a car crash?

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve used a bike to move along logging roads with a 30-06 rifle slung over my back while moose hunting in Sweden. Historicaly moose are hunted by a team with a dog but stalking clearcuts can be very effective. It’s not thought to be ethical or legal to use a car to move around once you’ve started but a bike is. Very niche probably 3 bike hunters out of 300,000 hunters in total. Hope hubs not ideal!

JoeG
    Free Member

Obviously, the firearm material needs to match that of the bike! 🙄 All of us Americans know that FFS! 🙂

So, if you have a carbon bike, a polymer framed Glock would be a good choice.

Steel framed bike = steel framed firearm.

And yes, you can get firearms in Aluminum and Titanium as well! 😀

Edit – so if you have a several bikes, you may need to have several guns as well! 8)

batfink
    Free Member

The whole firearm/death statistics debate is extremely tiresome…. in terms of cost benefit – what are the benefits of large numbers of guns circulating in society?

Aside from the occasional person that likes to go hunting, or target shoot, guns (in general circulation) serve absolutely no purpose at all…. there is no benefit side to the equation.

cars, swimming pools, drinking etc are all dangerous…. but at least their primary purpose is not to be harmful.

outspoken
    Free Member

I’ll stick this in the mix then,

It’s not the gun that’s dangerous it’s the person operating it…..

🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

The whole firearm/death statistics debate is extremely tiresome…. in terms of cost benefit – what are the benefits of large numbers of guns circulating in society?

Same could be said of beer. Or pies.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

outspoken – Member
    I’ll stick this in the mix then,

It’s not the gun that’s dangerous it’s the person operating it…..

So an idiot with a gun is no more dangerous than an idiot without a gun? Unless the idiot without the gun was battering me to death with his bare fists and could easily be confused by a safety catch I’ll take my chances with the one without the gun.

GrahamS

It’s not the gun that’s dangerous it’s the person wapper operating it…..

FTFY

willard

Never underestimate how dangerous an idiot can be. And that’s with or without something like access to firearms.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    It’s not the gun that’s dangerous it’s the person wapper operating it…..
    FTFY

This is indeed true. I seen it in a documentary on BBC 2.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It just seems crazy that these guys are out in the woods etc, enjoying riding their bike and they’re convinced that there’ll be a crack den or a hobo out to mug them so they feel the need to carry a gun! I think it’s the paranoia thats more scary than than the stats for actually being shot etc. But I find it equally worrying that creationism holds ground with so many people in the States too.

The guy on the MTBR forum forum banging in about mountain lions was funny though, especially when he talks about how amazing an encounter with one is….as long as he gets to kill it! Why?

5thElefant
    Free Member

t just seems crazy that these guys are out in the woods etc, enjoying riding their bike and they’re convinced that there’ll be a crack den or a hobo out to mug them so they feel the need to carry a gun!

It’s no different to wearing a helmet. The fear that there’s a slim chance it might be useful somehow gets warped into “you’ll die if you don’t”.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It is though. By wearing a helmet you are protecting yourself and not harming anyone or anything else.

By carrying a gun, you can harm or kill something that you perceive to be a threat. Its also more likely that any such situation gets more blown out of control.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’ll find many people who carry pen knives on a bike over here don’t stab anyone.

The yanks carrying [legal] guns is about as useful, and dangerous, as carrying a lightning rod.

natrix
    Free Member

Back in the mists of time I used to be a civilian working at a military establishment. On some Fridays I had to draw a pistol from the armoury for a demonstration in the afternoon. However, the armourer finished at three o’clock on a Friday and so I was told to hang on to the pistol until the following Monday.

I shared an office which didn’t have a locking door or even a locking cabinet (I kept the pistol ammo in an unlocked desk drawer) and so I wasn’t too happy leaving the pistol in the office over the weekend.

The only solution was to cycle home with the pistol tucked into my bar bag, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was (it was single shot). Luckily I never encountered any bears (not too many in Wiltshire) or crack dens (not many of those either). Good job I was never stopped by the police (I didn’t have a gun license), but back in those days I expect the MOD police would have smoothed things out for me……………

Looking back on it, it was a strange way of doing things. The establishment had its own gun and explosives licenses which I could borrow to purchase whatever ammunition and explosives I wanted.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘what gun for mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.