Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Ground Anchor and Chain? Alarm?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Decided to install a couple of ground anchors due to the recent spate of thefts in my area, but not sure what’s good.

Also looking into installing one of these. May be worth it just to bring the insurance down over time as well. Only seems to make about £20 worth of difference to a quote from M&S though.

chiefgrooveguru

http://securityforbikes.com

Great stuff, good prices, excellent service!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get the correct insurance first. Almax chain and squire lock

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

These guys probably do a bundle deal on anchor, chain and lock

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive got the almax iv 19mm and the squire lock its a beast. It was from when i had my motorbike. I dont use it now as bikes indoors. You wouldn’t want to drop it on your frame tho

baldman
    Free Member

+1 security for bikes

If getting chain go for the looped end on the chain (I didn’t and in hindsight wished I did)

thegreatape
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    http://securityforbikes.com

Great stuff, good prices, excellent service!

Plus one

bugcab
    Free Member

Another vote for Security for bikes, their 16mm chain with squire ss65 lock is great for peace of mind in garage/shed. You will need concrete floor for a ground anchor to be any good. If not set your own large block and build in a U channel (I used 110 mm flexi pipe). Lay steel rebar across the top of the U when pouring and you have a much more secure locking point than any ground anchors available.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

All the locks in the world are useless as if they want it they always get it, as demonstrated on here everytime a bike goes. And the issue everytime a new stolen post comes up? No alarm in outbuilding, giving them all the time in the world to break the locks.

So that £160 yale alarm is a supurb investment, it even dials your mobile if shed etc is breached, and with main house alarm also ringing, thieves presented with some decent 16mm locks, they dont have a lot of time to work with.

I use pragmasis 16mm protector with the untouchable padlock, and various d locks through the fork stanchions of bikes, rear triangles etc.

ransos
    Free Member

I use these people: http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/

julians
    Free Member

So that £160 yale alarm is a supurb investment, it even dials your mobile if shed etc is breached, and with main house alarm also ringing, thieves presented with some decent 16mm locks, they dont have a lot of time to work with.

That assumes there is either someone in the house to hear and act on the alarm , or a neighbour who will act on the alarm.

My experience of alarms is that they are next to useless. Our house was burgled a few years ago, It was approx 3pm in the afternoon (daylight) , we were both at work, but neighbours were around. the house was alarmed, and the alarm triggered as it was supposed to. The thieves still took £11k’s worth of stuff. Everyone just ignored the alarm going off .

If they want it badly enough , they will get it. Thats not to say you shouldnt try and make life difficult, but dont presume that your bike is safe because its chained up, and in an alarmed & locked garage.

My bike is in a locked garage, chained with 13mm chain to a ground anchor , to try and deter all but the most well tooled up thief.

alanf
    Free Member

Concrete in ground anchor.
    So there is nothing above ground to attack.
    Basically a U shaped tube that gets concreted into your floor and just has the two ends of the tube showing a ground level.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

My bikes are mounted to the wall. I’m considering a wall mounted ground anchor, combined with the 16mm chain to shackle each bike to the wall. I could use some pipe lagging to protect the frame.

However, is it a bad idea to mount the anchor to the wall? Can I secure multiple bikes to a single ground anchor? Sorry if these questions seem a bit silly. I currently have a couple of D-locks that I’ve use to secure the rear wheel of the bike to the frame.

bedfordrd

Are there any small tracker-type GPS devices that are bike specific? I know that powering such a unit could be tricky, though.

As someone who has (this week) had a bike stolen, just wondering if there’s a way I could track the next one down?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s a cost effective way to do it.

You need something that can:
    – Identify itself via a signal.
    – Track the signal. Unless you have access to a satellite network?
    – A power source.
    – Be hidden in a bike inconspicuously.

Maybe something like Findmyiphone with a cheaper older model will work. You still need to be able to attach the phone inconspicuously to the phone though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thinking about something like this for the wall:

http://securityforbikes.com/torc-ground-anchor-fitting-kits.php#blockwall

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Any advice on mounting this to the wall, or anyone got any different solutions?

bugcab
    Free Member

Wall is second best but better than nothing. As others have said all you are doing is deterring because nothing is theft proof. More deterrents the better, alarm, chain, cctv etc. Look at how long it would take to overcome the weakest point and that is how good your set up is.

These guys do bike trackers. http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

large418
    Free Member

Locks and alarms as mentioned above, but I am planning to have about 4 alarm sirens/sounders inside the garage. If scumbags aren’t deaf before they go in, they will be deaf afterwards! Hopefully the aural pain would make then want to spend even less time in my garage!

teamslug
    Free Member

I haven’t got a ground anchor but have a mate with a steel structures company. He cut me a scrap piece of H section and punched some holes in to fit my big master cable and a kryptonite chain. Weighs about 50kgs. No access to lock as it sits underneath. I take it when I go off in van too to chain bikes to.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

julians – Member

That assumes there is either someone in the house to hear and act on the alarm , or a neighbour who will act on the alarm.

My experience of alarms is that they are next to useless. Our house was burgled a few years ago, It was approx 3pm in the afternoon (daylight) , we were both at work, but neighbours were around. the house was alarmed, and the alarm triggered as it was supposed to. The thieves still took £11k’s worth of stuff. Everyone just ignored the alarm going off .

If they want it badly enough , they will get it. Thats not to say you shouldnt try and make life difficult, but dont presume that your bike is safe because its chained up, and in an alarmed & locked garage.

My bike is in a locked garage, chained with 13mm chain to a ground anchor , to try and deter all but the most well tooled up thief.

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Julians I agree presuming they’re safe as chained and alarmed is foolish. But from a risk perception point of view, a wireless alarm, pretty much completely removes a night time theft, (assuming decent chains and locks used so not a wheel out job!) and in the daytime if your local you can return when mobile rings, or ring a neighbour/police etc

To have £000’s of bikes in an outbuilding with no alarm is falling at the first hurdle IMHO.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Absolutely agree that a determined crim will make off with your stuff. It’s just damage limitation really.

Maybe securing the bikes is the difference between them making off with one instead of all. That sort of thing. Agree about alarms. Bloke opposite my house’s alarm went off in the middle of the day on a weekend. I was the only person who headed across to check on it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Ground Anchor and Chain? Alarm?’ is closed to new replies.