Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What grips have solid end caps apart from Superstar?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I like the Superstars because the end cap is a complete unit that protects the bar end and locks the grip down too (rather than a separate lock ring and a plug). It gives better bar protection and I find plastic plugs usually break after a few install/remove cycles, rendering grip useless usually too.

What other grips use this system?

(like this ->

)

tthew

I have some Pro ones, a grey Atherton team version that have a single lock-on collar inboard and the grip iself is closed right over the end of the bar. There’s a little allen key head there too, so I assume there must be an expaning wedge of some sort, but I’ve never taken them off.

fudge9202
    Free Member

odi grips can be matched to their odi bar ends, I have a brand new pair for sale if interested.

brakes
    Free Member

sunline – best grips ever

crush83
    Free Member

Ragly logo grips do, nice thick grip

LMT
    Free Member

Charge do a grip with the metal end cap, where on sale at evans a few months back so i picked up a few.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of black charge ones that are up for sale. £5 plus postage. Brand new and boxed.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

IA

+1 on the ODI endcaps, similar to the superstars.

zilog6128

Any old grip with Hope Grip Doctors?

qtip

You can use the Superstar ones on ODI grips.

mattjg
    Free Member

thx all

I tried Grip Doctors once, I don’t really want a plug at all, just a solid locking cap.

tinybits I’ll take your Charges. My mail in profile.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sunlines’s wear out in just a few rides IME. And charge (foam lock ons at least) are overly thin and harsh.

Why are you removing/fitting them so often? Install, wear out in a few months, bin, I’ve never had problems with the basic plastic end caps, added bonus they don’t look scruffy like alloy ones do after they’ve been leant on a wall for the first time. On the odd occasion they’ve broken or worn out then any £1.99 replacemnts from a BMX shop do the job, and usualy 3mm+ thick so never wear out regardless fo how may times you crash.

mattjg
    Free Member

Because I switch bars/controls/set up around a lot.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My PRO Vanderham grips have a lovely solid metal end cap on them. You really wouldn’t want them down the side of your car.

mattjg
    Free Member

now they ^^ look nice

mattjg
    Free Member

except it seems they are unobtainable in black

brakes
    Free Member

Sunlines’s wear out in just a few rides IME

which ones? I have the thin logo ones on two bikes and they show minimal signs of wear after a couple of years. do you have sandpaper hands?

scruff
    Free Member

I got some straitline caps from CRC, work great with anything ODI.

cardo

+1 for Sunlines

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

which ones? I have the thin logo ones on two bikes and they show minimal signs of wear after a couple of years. do you have sandpaper hands?

Twisted waffle, thick, the ends wear down really quickly for me so, OK if I rotate the grip 90deg, but they havent lasted long at all, maybe 500miles? Not riding in the mud or anything daft either, they just didn’t last as long as anything else I’ve used for no obvious reason. Gone to foam grips on most of my bikes now anyway, saveing a lot of weight and no noticeable loss of grip, comfortable and no wear.

Because I switch bars/controls/set up around a lot.

May I suggest you cure you’re upgrade-itis then rather than mitigating your symptoms, it’ll be cheeper in the long run 😛

mattjg
    Free Member

May I suggest you cure you’re upgrade-itis

no it’s half the fun

HermanShake
    Free Member

Although I didn’t like the ODI snapcaps at first I see that they’re actually quite clever. Bar ends accumulate knocks and bumps and tatty anodising looks crap.

ODI FTW!

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx maybe I’ll give them a go then.

Mister-P
    Free Member
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What grips have solid end caps apart from Superstar?’ is closed to new replies.