Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What grips? Callus annoyance…
  • chiefgrooveguru

I used to have Raceface GoodnEvil grips which didn’t give me significant calluses but I’d occasionally get finger pain (not arm pump) on long rocky rides. So I put some ODI Troy Lees on and they’re easier on the fingers (much thinner and stickier) but are causing big calluses to build up which then blister underneath, which hurts.

I’m not sure whether the problem is due to the grips being too skinny or too grippy or both? I think my gloves are sticking to the grip, thus rubbing that bit between fingers and palm, where gloves often bunch up. My guess is I want moderately thick (GoodnEvil v thick vs Troy Lee rather thin) and moderately grippy grips? The problem seems worst when it’s hot so my hands are damp with sweat, so a grip that is maybe harder rubber but with a grippy texture for wet/mud might be the answer? Or maybe something that grips laterally but not in rotation like those BMX grips?

Not foam – too slippery and they fall apart too fast. Lock-on for convenience / protection of carbon bars.

Tom83

Superstar do some thick grips for bigger hands, might be worth a shot? If not esi silicone grips (not lock on i know, but having used them for a few years now, i really wouldn’t switch back!).

chiefgrooveguru

Tom, how do the ESI grips grip in the dry vs wet mud? I think I want grips which have relatively poor dry grip, but good wet grip – like a mud spike tyre rather than a super tacky high roller.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Esi grips sound right up your street OP, the only bad thing I have to say about them is they are a bit fragile, I managed to tear two pairs in two weeks this summer. Currently using Troy lee lockons, they are very soft too.

GW
    Free Member

Ditch gloves, accept calluses for what they are and fit ruffian style lock-ons

chiefgrooveguru

Fragile isn’t good – between clipping trees/foliage and laying my bike on the ground and against walls I’ll knacker them in no time!

Wondering if ODI Rogues would be too big? Or maybe ODI Longnecks with the ribbed BMX pattern?

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t notice the calluses when riding, just afterwards when I have three sore spots in each hand. No gloves = scratched up hands from foliage and slipping on the grips from sweat, though I do ride gloveless commuting and on the BMX.

continuity
    Free Member

ESI Tore for me also; started on a clipped tree and now they’re a bin job.

Also they’re lethally slippery without gloves in the wet; (think oiled rubber).

Apart from that they’re good.

So not good.

Going ODI Rogue or TLD next time.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bite them off ya Jesse . The calluses, not the grips.

chiefgrooveguru

I cut them off actually! But I’d rather solve the problem than have to do that, especially as up to a certain thickness they do what they’re meant to do but after that they partially pull off mid-ride before I get to cut them off.

Tom83

Never found the esi’s slippy in the wet, with or without gloves. However if you’re worried about tearing/ripping them avoid. (I’m yet to rip them!) I’d still say the superstar xl lockons might help, you might have to try a few different brands maybe.

I think calluses are just part of riding tbh.

continuity
    Free Member

Calluses are your hands telling you that you are more of a man. Removing them is a fool’s errand.

_tom_
    Free Member

Just accept that if you ride bikes you’ll have callouses. They only hurt for a bit when they’re new then it goes away..

chiefgrooveguru

But what happens when the callus gets so thick that its height causes the callus to lever itself off the skin below? That’s whats happening to me! I’ve played bass for half my life and don’t have a desk job – I know all about calluses…

continuity
    Free Member

Use a pumice stone.

I’m solvin’ problems all-over da shop today.

Next?

chiefgrooveguru

Leaning towards some Lizard Skins Chargers. The pattern looks like it won’t be too grippy in the dry but not too slippery in the wet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use odi rogues on the full Susser and ergons on the soul, both supercomfy, especially the ergons.

wallop

I have the superstar XL grips and still have calluses.

BadlyWiredDog

Change your gloves.

dantsw13

^^This^^ You need tighter gloves that aren’t slipping over your hands, then the only slippage will be between the glove/grips, not over your skin.

chiefgrooveguru

I already changed the gloves! How do you get your hands into a glove that is tight enough to have no slack on the palm side when your hands are curled around a grip?

suffolk
    Free Member

It is the gloves. The rubbing between clammy glove and your sweat-softened palm is what is causing the callouses – have you tried relaxing your grip on the bars, as clinging on (too) tight also makes blistering more likely. Light hands

tinsy
    Free Member

Just try the ESI grips they are not that fragile.

The ODI mushroom type grips are a very good grip and lovely if you dont wear gloves, very comfy, not used them on an MTB but theyre great on my scooter!

titusrider
    Free Member

I personally love goodn evil grips nice and sticky and thickly padded on the front with thinner padding round the back

just wish they did a lock on (althought the metal locks would probably reduce the comfort!)

philtricklebank

Are you sure it is the change in grips? Have you increased the frequency of any other callus-inducing activities recently?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i thought calluses were normal. mine have been there for 15+ years

binners

I always loved the chunkiness of Race Face Good n Evils, but fancied lock ons. I found Bontrager Race Lite Lock Ons to be the perfect solution. As chunky as Good n Evils

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve just swtiched to Renthal Kevlar after using them on the motox bike for a couple of years. Love them.

Very soft and comfy due to no lock-on tube, as well as strong and grippy. Downsides – need gluing/wiring in place and colour not to everyones taste.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have the superstar XL grips and still have calluses.

+1

It’s only been an issue since I changed gloves. Now back to using super snug Rajis I can barely get my hand in.

dantsw13

Find gloves that have a tight hand, but with stretchy panels for the fingers. I use these

Scott D30

Remember all gloves will stretch, so buy them too tight.

yodagoat
    Free Member

MTFU bigtime.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What grips? Callus annoyance…’ is closed to new replies.