Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What grease do YOU use in cup and cone hubs?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Would this be any good – reason i ask is that i need some that is ok on fork seals too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5954

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Use different greases for different purposes. Personally, I think the Weldtite Teflon stuff is utter rubbish; it just doesn’t stay put.

Finish Line Teflon as a general grease and then Stendec Easy Glide for suspension servicing.

rjhazell
    Free Member

I bought a pot each of bearing grease and copper grease from a hardware store 2 years ago, both do a great job, cost a fiver each and will last forever!

only other things I use are gt85 and whatever chain lube is on offer

rjh

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m tempted to say jack of all trades, master of none. I’m sure there’s something in grease that thickens it, or makes it more water resistant, that’s not good for plastic parts. For me, it’s Silkolene RG2 in the hubs. I don’t use grease in my forks. I kit seals with a bit of fork oil an lube stanchions with finish line stanchion lube.

cp

I use the weldtite stuff in the op. It’s a bit crap I find. It starts to.stink with age too- not out of the tube, but after a few weeks in hubs, it stinks.

I’d reccomend the general shimano grease for most stuff on a bike. I use carbon assy paste on any clamping surface, regardless of whether the parts are carbon or alu, and I still have remnants of a small pot of rock shox Judy butter for filling wiper seals – quite thick but very effective.

duncan

Castrol CL for all cup and cone bearings, suspension-specific stuff for suspension.

singlespeedstu

Phil Woods waterproof grease is the awsum in any bearing.

takisawa2

PBC. If it’s good enough for Nuclear Power Plants I figure it should be ok for hubs. 🙂

somafunk

Lithium based grease or any grease based upon hydrocarbons is not recommended for use where it may contact rubber seals or fork seals if they are of EDPM or Polyurethane as it may swell or degrade the rubber seal, A synthetic silicon based product such as Millars Red Rubber Grease or if you wish to be fancy then Stendec Easy Glide grease will do the job but at an inflated cost, if it’s for personal use rather than a workshop where forks are serviced on a daily basis then i imagine a small tub of Stendec will do you fine as it will last the lifetime of your forks.

For “other” uses regarding general bearing stuff such as Hubs/Headsets/BB/Pedals etc i partial to using Exus E-G01 ptfe/teflon grease, it’s a nice blue colour so it’s obviously better than anything else, and their grease gun seems to work better than others.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Moly grease!

singlespeedstu

Exus E-G01

Phill woods smells much nicer though.

And it’s green.
    Everyone knows green is faster than blue.

You ever heard of British Racing Blue?

No I don’t think you have.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But RG2 is red (and a bit sparkly). Nothing is faster than red.

singlespeedstu

Again.

It’s British Racing Green.
    Not British Racing Red.

And the blue stuff is also a bit sparkly but also slower.

Case closed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pretty sure GB cars wore blue before they wore green. And you think classy, you might think BRG. Think fast and you think red.

scaredypants

I use some soapy marine grease from a yachtery – I don’t worry much about the seals

Course, you lot wouldn’t know what soap is. It’s very very fast though

bedmaker

For bearings SKF LWGW2.0/4

Red rubber for sus seals

singlespeedstu

Think fast slutty and you think red.

Course, you lot wouldn’t know what soap is.

I hear you discovered soap in the showers with Mr Big. 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slutty is fast.

somafunk

What about those of us that are colour blind?, i’m not btw but in true STW pedantic fashion i am standing up for a minority that is not represented in this discussion and i stand by my blue grease, i also like Muc-Off C3 pink ceramic chain lube as it smells of that strawberry stuff that bakers fill their tarts with, and by “tarts” i mean the pastry strawberry filled type with cream toppings not the slack legged bend over and show their slanty smile type that used to sexually abuse us after a night on the piss.

British racing Blue?….that’s got a nice ring to it………

singlespeedstu

Slutty’s ok for a Friday night after a skinfull but you’d not want it every day.

Edit.

soma.

We’re up your way at the end of April.

We could meet up and sort this arguememt out man to man over a few beers in The Anchor. 😀

scaredypants

ssstu – Mr Big wasn’t so fast, and surprisingly gentle

<considers reoffending>

singlespeedstu

I hear he’s a gentle lover.
    Despite his beard and tats.

somafunk

Sounds like a definite plan, how long you up for?/where you staying?

singlespeedstu

Very close to The Anchor. 😀
    There for a week. We should be able to find you room to stop for a night if you want a few sherberts.
    Be great to catch up again. 🙂

somafunk

A week?, cracking………that should give me plenty of time to end up on my face at somepoint….are we planning to ride bikes or just rolling about drunk on whisky? 😉

What bikes are you bringing up?,

singlespeedstu

Ride and roll about.
    As long as you try not to re arrange your face on the floor again. 😛

What bikes are you bringing up?,

I’d think a rigid one and one that moves up and down a bit and maybe a fat one if we’ve got room…

matt_outandabout

I bought a big pot of Shimano posh XTR’y grease a few years back, seems to stay put much better than the Weldtech(?) stuff I had before.

somafunk

Excellent, you need to bring a rigid one and a fat one for sure, a mate (mark) who i work wi at next level bikes (check out our facebook page if you use that insidious medium – personally i **** hate it but i have to update and use it) has an irrational distrust of anything rigid with clown wheels or oversized fat tyres so your bikes will upset him greatly – fantastic! 😀 , he’s firmly of the full sus is the only way variety being ex scottish d-hill champ and i try to upset him on a daily basis by my rigid forked/singlespeed shennanigins of yesteryear.

Looking forward to it……

singlespeedstu

I’ll bring a rigid fat one just for you then.

You still on the same phone number?

sobriety
    Free Member

copper grease

If you mnean coppaslip, I hope you r wear gloves when you use it, that stuff is porperly carcinogenic 😕

somafunk

Yep, ending 505, you still on 071?, roll on end of april.

singlespeedstu

Just texted you.

somafunk

that stuff is porperly carcinogenic

Being formally trained as a vehicle mechanic many years ago i’ve had my hands slathered in that stuff for hours at a time along wi every other fluid such as atf/gearbox oil, engine oil, degreaser etc…..guess my time is limited then……………

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Evinrude Johnson TripleGuard Marine grease, got a load of it for the ski boat’s prop shaft greaser thing. Seems to work well in the bike hubs.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Silkolene Waterproof

crush83
    Free Member

whatever is lying around at work, usualy RED stuff!

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite like that luminous green Shimano stuff. Sticks to metal but not to fingers

Davesport

Texaco XHP 222.

The stuff that comes in bike components especially for use in MTB’s lasts about 30 seconds. XHP 222 is for heavy duty applications. I’ve never had a bearing fail in service that’s been filled with this stuff.

D.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

that stuff is porperly carcinogenic

Any source for that? A quick google seems to highlight just a bunch of forum posts with similar assertions, and little else

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What grease do YOU use in cup and cone hubs?’ is closed to new replies.