Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What GPS to help me follow race gpx files
  • jobro
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m currently using a Garmin 200 to record my rides. Basic, but it does enough for me.
    A lot of the events I want to do next year seem to have limited signage or marshalling but rely on downloading the route as a gpx file which you then follow on your gps unit.
    I don’t think the 200 will be detailed/large enough for me to follow so what devise would you suggest? What do you use successfully.
    Thanks

whiter74
    Free Member

active 10 sat map. works good for me, on OS Maps

richellicott
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin Edge Touring. Really like it, I don’t have any use for Heart rate monitors or power meters so I think the edge is just about right. Nice easy to read screen and dead simple to download gpx files onto.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

i think following an off road route correctly first time on any gps will always be kinda hit and miss.

jobro
    Free Member

Scu98rkr – this was my initial worry. What would give me enough detail on an off road course to be able to follow it without going wrong.

amedias
    Free Member

On road the 200 is fine for following a route, you cna see when there’s a turn coming up and match it with junctions without much bother, and on the rare occasion you miss a subtle split it beeps at you to say you’ve gone wrong, normally within a 5-10 seconds of your error too so not bad.

But offroad it can be trickier, doable on big wide tracks and fire roads where any turn is obvious, and ok on well defined singletrack, but anything with multiple route options or vague moorland and it can be a bit trickier so something with a bigger screen and actual mapping is better, be that bigger GPS, smart-phone or a paper map.

cp

My edge 800 is great, either with OS maps (What I run in the UK) or with either Garmin road maps or open street maps for european adventures.

acidtest
    Free Member

I use a second hand Motorola Moto G, got it for £60 of ebay. I’ve attached it to my stem with a GoPro mount glued to the case. Then use the Viewranger app to follow/create routes, as it’s a smart phone you can load up all the usual apps for HR/Cadence etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What GPS to help me follow race gpx files’ is closed to new replies.