• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What GPS running watch?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Am on the lookout for a GPS watch I can wear while running. Have been using the phone + Strava for the last few months but it’s too obstrusive.

Not too fussed about where I’ve run just how far and how fast.

I run a fair bit on poorly lit and badly maintained lanes so the display needs to be super-legible

Have been looking at the Garmin FR220 maybe a 230 but any other recommendations would be welcome

Ta folks

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Forerunner225. Is a decent piece of kit.
    Integrated HRM.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve just sold my Garmin FR220. They are a really good watch, quick to pick a signal accurate and easy to use. Training schedules can be created in Garmin Connect then transferred to the watch.

The FR230 is the replacement for the FR220 and includes new features. The FR220 has come down in price as a result. At the same time the FR225 (built in HRM, no belt required) has been replaced with the FR235. The FR620, which has all the top end features, is replaced with FR630. All the older models are discounted now for the new products.

tomnavman
    Free Member

If you’re after a basic watch I’ve got the Forerunner 25 – its basically the edge 25 with a wrist strap. Not really any fancy features, but does the job great.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ is a great source of sports tech reviews if you haven’t seen it – he does a summary “what gear should I buy” every few months to highlight his favourites.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve got a polar M400 which can be had for under £100
    Good GPS tracking, does step counts, phone notifications, good waterproofing etc.
    At some point i’ll replace it for something fancier but in the meantime i think it’s a steal

nickb

Sweatshop are doing the Garmin Forerunner 220 for £99 this week – bargain!
    http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/weekly-offers/weekly-offer-2

bensales
    Free Member

The only observation I’d make about watches with built-in HRMs is that you can’t wear them over clothes and still get HR data. This fact passed by some members of my running club until the winter arrived…

craigxxl
    Free Member

These don’t include the HRM but you can still pick one up for around £35.

CraigW
    Free Member

The only observation I’d make about watches with built-in HRMs is that you can’t wear them over clothes and still get HR data. This fact passed by some members of my running club until the winter arrived…

Yes, that’s why I use a Forerunner 220, plus a separate Mio Fuse HRM, both on the same wrist. I probably wear a long sleeved top or jacket for about half of the year. So I can wear the Mio on my skin, plus the Forerunner on the outside of my clothes.
    Also the Mio can be a bit fussy about position for reading heart rate – I find it works best on the inside of my wrist, a bit further up than I would usually wear a watch.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

That is indeed a bargain. I’ve used my 220 almost every day for 2 years (with a separate heart rate monitor), and it’s been great.

My wife got the new 235 for Christmas, and I’m most impressed with that. It’s got an activity tracker, as well as the HRM and GPS. She really likes it.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire – Member
    I’ve got a polar M400 which can be had for under £100

I’ve gone of these as well, good hardware at a great price. Though Polar use Bluetooth rather than ANT+ sensors (like Garmin do) so if you already use a Garmin on the bike then your existing sensors will be incompatible.

mikey74
    Free Member

I picked up the 220 from Amazon, with HRM, for £120 last week. It may be worth looking there.

I’ve only used it once but it’s good so far. Not as solid feeling as the 210 it replaced, though.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve gone of these as well, good hardware at a great price. Though Polar use Bluetooth rather than ANT+ sensors (like Garmin do) so if you already use a Garmin on the bike then your existing sensors will be incompatible.

Yeah that put me off buying a garmin bike computer for now (was looking at the edge 25).
    There’s some new bike comps coming from Wahoo and Bryton that do both ANT+ and bluetooth though so may get one of those. Otherwise the polar m450 and v650 are getting v good reviews

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and links fellas

The 220s seem to be getting quite rare & £100 is a good price

pjbarton
    Free Member

Garmin Vivoactive worth looking at, for around £150 it’s a great allrounder. VERY slim too and does notifications.

CraigW
    Free Member

And they have a discount code, for 20% off – 9100000000671
    So you can get it for £85 delivered, which is definitely a bargain.

leffeboy

Garmin Vivoactive

vivoactive is lovely but not so good if you want any training type features such as intervals. Don’t know how much of a problem that is though

hammyuk
    Free Member

Infinity have the Tomtom for £65
    No built in hrm but as above wouldn’t work over clothes anyway

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a 220 and it’s very good as a running watch.

IHN

I’ve got a BNIB Garmin 910XT that’s available for a very reasonable price, if anyone’s interested. Unwanted gift for ‘er indoors.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What GPS running watch?’ is closed to new replies.