Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What GPS or MTFU?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

What GPS unit should i use to navigate the Gap Ride on Friday?

Only done it once before and the phone that one guy was using died, we missed a turn, blah blah blah. The phone was great for the turn by turn thing, having used it several other times im slowly being converted to GPS.

Ive used a gps watch a bit for both riding and running, but battery life seemed to top out at four hours, which is a little limiting for a day out on the bike.

I want to mount it on the bars, I want it to easily hold enough map (?) I want it to cope with an all day ride, road or off road

Or just buy the two OS maps and get on with it?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Garmin 1000

soobalias
    Free Member

ta, as ever great GPS review from
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-1000-depth-review.html

the line…
    “… since the Edge 500 was released, and quite frankly – that’s by far the most popular GPS cycling computer ever made. And it’s the only one that I repeatedly hear people asking when a “new little Edge” will come out.”

the tight git in my will have to now read the edge 500, 510 & 810 notes. If any person here present knows of any reason not to touch them, speak now.

Order by lunchtime, recieve tomorrow, sort maps wednesday, learn how to use it in the car on route wednesday.

soobalias
    Free Member

now cross checking with the 820, which is nearly a 1000 without a couple of features….

Rubber_Buccaneer

The biggest difference between the 820 and 1000 is the screen size. I’m assuming you want this for far more than one ride otherwise the two maps makes much more sense

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

GPS complements maps rather than replaces them

(IME a good manta to follow)

zilog6128

now cross checking with the 820, which is nearly a 1000 without a couple of features….

other way around I think, the 820 is newer and has features that the 1000 doesn’t (until future software updates).

As said above, the only advantage of the 1000 is the screen size. (which could be a disadvantage if you crash a lot!) I have an 820 and that screen size is fine for me.

Superficial
    Free Member

My Edge 510 does turn by turn navigation, it works well. The issue is that if you go off the course it’ll tell you, but it won’t tell you how to get back on track (other than a simple as-the-crow-flies arrow). If that ever happens I and my sense of direction fails, then I just whip out my phone. If I don’t have signal AND I’m off the OS maps that I have downloaded to ViewRanger then I guess I could come unstuck. But that’s never happened yet.

I believe the garmin touring models have similar function (if you don’t want the heart rate / cadence features of the 510).

soobalias
    Free Member

Im slowly being converted.
    I could just get the relevant OS sections printed and save £300

one has the bigger screen, the other is a little cheaper
    neither are cheap enough to get the decision wrong

sounding like i would need to hold the 820 and 1000 in my hand to decide

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

the main advantage of the 1000 for the older cyclist is the display size ^^ 🙂

I up graded from 800

The 1000 map includes all of Europe and its continually upgraded for free. Its very good. Better than OS IMHO. I have Micro SSD OS for MTB off piste

zilog6128

Im slowly being converted.

mapping is only the half of it! So many features now; I wouldn’t be without one. Routing, Cadence/HR/power, Live Strava, virtual partner, etc, etc. plus many other functions that you could have on your phone but with better battery life. Of course some people will not want/need any of that. I would suggest an evening trawling through the DC Rainmaker site to help make up your mind!

jonba
    Free Member

I like my 800. Not tried any of the newer models but if you can get a cheaper 810 I would think about it. Maybe even the touring if all you want is a map with a line to follow and pointer marking where you are.

Garmins can be a bit of a pain as they aren’t 100% reliable and the software not always that intuitive. I’ve not seen another unit that works any better though.

You can take maps if you want but they are slower to use and map boards look naff. Whether you need a backup depends on where you are going. I used to carry paper maps as backup but now don’t most of the time. I have various means of offline phone navigation, normally a couple in the group with GPS routes and on the road in areas I know reasonably well I can follow road signs or ask.

Rubber_Buccaneer

virtual partner

My virtual partner is like a mate on an e-bike, buggers off into the distance

mtbguiding
    Free Member

You could hire a guide for the Gap for a lot less – just saying 😉

timidwheeler

My local Aldi still has an 810 for £170.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Only done it once before and the phone that one guy was using died, we missed a turn, blah blah blah.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the OP has answered his own question….

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, i didnt buy the 820, it might be a christmas present

Sandwich

My virtual partner is like a mate on an e-bike, buggers off into the distance

Set the average speed when plotting on connect or other software to be lower than your normal average and you should beat the virtual partner. Once you have an idea of your best average you can set a stretch target for the partner and turn yourself inside out trying to catch up.

zilog6128

Also if you have Live Strava Segments you can set the virtual partner to either your PR, the KOM or the closest friend ahead of you on the leaderboard which is a great motivational feature!

Spin
    Free Member

GPS units are doubtlessly nice but an os map is all you need for almost all MTBing. I’d only get a unit if you think you’ll use it regularly.

Spin
    Free Member

map boards look naff

Printed section sealed in a polypocket and tucked in a pocket or down your t-shirt.

soobalias
    Free Member

printed a bit of a map and have loaded some gps & mapping to an old samsung.
    probably wont give me a feel for a real/proper gps as the battery is dead after about 4hrs with the gps & screen on, but without wifi/3g the battery is good for 36hrs on standby, so might be useful if we get stuck.

I at least know the turning we missed last time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What GPS or MTFU?’ is closed to new replies.