Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What GPS? apologies
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I know this has been asked alot, but using the search hasn’t really helped me.

I don’t know which garmin to buy, I have joined Strava with a view to upload and download routes in Mid Wales.

I need something that is reliable and robust for off road use, not too worried about cadence or heart rate monitor really.

Performance monitoring is not my main concern.

Good usability, reliability of use are my main objectives – using a mobile is out as I’m not really someone into phones ( I want to get away from contact).

Any recommendations and links to other sites for route download / sharing appreciated.
    Regards

Denis

geoffj

If you don’t need mapping, get an edge 200. If you do, go for the edge touring.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks, need mapping though, as I can record some local rides and share the routes etc.
    Regards

Denis

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

etrex 20?

nedrapier

need mapping

Might be stating the obvious, but…

I think what geoff was on about was whether you need maps displayed on the device, countours, roads, footpaths, bridleways etc. The Edge 200 doesn’t display this but it does display a breadcrumb trail of where your route goes – you’ll have a scale and know whether it’s straight on, left a bit in 100 yards, sharp right etc.

You map your route on your laptop (or take a friend’s route file) download the route to the device, and follow the course when you’re out. you get a little chirrup if you miss a turning and go off course, which is very handy.

Where this falls down is if you need to change your plan when you’re out or you want to know a bit more about where you are – you don’t have any further context. Perfect if you’re following shorter routes, if you want a small, simple device, if you use paper maps but just want something to let you keep the map in the bag for emergencies, rather than regular consulting.

If you want something to replace a map, to see where you are in the landscape, what’s around you, be able to change plan and bail, cut or add a loop, you’ll need a fancier one which displays maps on the device itself. I’ve got an Oregon 600 which is bigger and heavier and not quite as intuitive for following biking routes, but does a lot of other stuff well (I use it for hiking and backcountry skiing too) and has replaceable AA batteries – might be worth considering if you’re out overnight or on very long days.

I bought an Edge 200 a few years before, and I still use it often when I don’t need the bells, whistles and bulk of the Oregon 600. Wife likes having it when we’re both out and I’ve got the Oregon – she really likes to make her own goals, break the route up, manage her expectations etc.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Etrex10/20/30 would be the best bet if you want maps and not performance stuff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree for OS mapping ona Garmin the Etrex 20 is th ebest option

Other models have better features once you start to navigate [ you can do it on the fly iirc] but if you cannot navigate using a route on a map with a line and a point showing you where you are on the map then probably best to stick to trail centres and signposts 😉

Can be had for about £120 new maps can be “acquired very cheap ”

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve made getting lost a bit of an art form over the years, but that’s just me….

I’ll have a look at the recommendations, thanks.

Regards

Denis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What GPS? apologies’ is closed to new replies.