Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What gopro hd set up? The helmet cam or the naked with a chest mount
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

For those with the camera was wondering what set up you found the most usuable and best for video quality. The helmet hero seems to be the one marketed for mountain bikers but the chest mount is getting more and more popular…does it still work ok if wearing a camelbak with the chest straps?

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I have the GoPro HD Hero bike kit. I then bought the chest mount to increase activities I could use it for.

I’ve only tested the chest strap once and I was in 1080 mode so the affective field of vision is reduced from 170degrees to 120 or something. I found that because my riding position means my chest is pointing downwards, the camera physically didn’t have enough room to go as vertical as it needed to to get a decent view because my chest was in the way.

I use the helmet mount loads and it offers a decent view, but I also used the chest mount when I did Crib Goch and Snowdon

Can’t see any Camelbak problems

rsvktm

I use mine with the chest harness, works well under the camelback straps but have added an extra strap to pull the case down to stop bouncing. To get the ‘right’ field of view I mount it the wrong way up and use the new software to record both stills and vid upside down.

Found with the helmet mount ended up smacking branches and didn’t like the extra weight on my head. Can mount all over the bike as well for alternative shots, seatpost, frame, fork etc

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Thanks for the info…the wiggle 20% weekend is proving quite expensive so far 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

to mount on the bike will i need another clamp for that or will the helmet one be suitable?

rsvktm

Its a case of trial and error, the proper bike kit looks like would work well. In fact I think I will be getting one soon. I ended up searching the net for different ideas, and there are lots. Cable ties, bits of plastic etc have featured heavily for me. Good luck playing, you will enjoy. I use the random stills more than the vid mind.

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I used the helmet mount on my road bike but it was slightly loose, you’re probably better off getting the proper bracket. You get a few adhesive mounts in the bike kit though so you can attach to a surf board, car bodywork etc

devon_roadie
    Free Member

Yes stills is fun too. Here’s a few stills from some of my rides

You have to hang right off the bike to get yourself in the shot if mounted on the handlebars

View is fine using chest strap as standard but sat down

Works pretty well as a camera

Finally, just some fun. Tied the camera to some string and lowered it over bridge for a different perspective

Andituk
    Free Member

Vids done with the chest mount look cool, like the way your arms are in shot, makes it feel a bit more like you’re riding rather than watching over someones shoulder. I saw a video with the chest mount backwards, looking to a rider behind. That was good too.

Northwind

devon_roadie – Member
    “I’ve only tested the chest strap once and I was in 1080 mode so the affective field of vision is reduced from 170degrees to 120 or something. I found that because my riding position means my chest is pointing downwards, the camera physically didn’t have enough room to go as vertical as it needed to to get a decent view because my chest was in the way.”

The HD doesn’t fit perfectly on the chest mount unfortunately because of the different shaped case, bit of a slip from Gopro. Some people mount the camera upside down to get round it, I’ve added some foam to the back of the mount to tilt it a little, but Gopro just launched an adaptor which should sort it too (it’s just like the regular extension arms but with both sets of slots parallel so you only need one)

Variety’s the spice of life, single POV films are pretty dull IMO so bar mount, seatpost mount (same bracket for both) and helmet mount are nice to do occasionally. The rollbar mount works as a frame mount too but I’ve not had much luck with that and it can leave the camera very exposed in a crash.

jam-bo

Just out of interest, where is that bridge?

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I plan to try and fit a couple of mounts to the bike at some point to make videos more varied

jam bo it’s Wimbleball Reservoir, although you may have guessed that!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

i prefer the helmet mount, off the side rather than on top.

I have the chest strap too but dont feel this gives such a good shot. Have to mount it upside to get anything.

With a camelback the hose is always knocking on the side/moving in front of the lens plus i carry a still camera on the camelbak chest strap which again inteferes with the field of vision.

But the go pro is great, lots off different places to mount the camera. Have a look at some of the videos in my profile

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What gopro hd set up? The helmet cam or the naked with a chest mount’ is closed to new replies.