Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • What good TV series to tide me over until Breaking Bad returns?
  • aye-aye
    Free Member

Breaking Bad, The Wire, DeadWood and Boardwalk have all been excellent viewing but I’m struggling to find anything else that is of equal quality to watch.

I’ve seen the Sopranos, The Walking Dead, Generation Kill, Spiral and House of Cards (both versions).

I’ve tried the list below and they don’t do it for me, sorry.

Hannibal
    Dexter
    Sons of Anarchy
    Wallander
    Battlestar Galactica
    Justified
    Prison Break
    Oh and Game Of Thrones, I don’t understand how anyone over the age of 13 can enjoy that?

There must be another intelligent, well acted series out there?
    Ta

shermer75
    Free Member

House of Cards!

aye-aye
    Free Member

Ta but

I’ve seen the Sopranos, The Walking Dead, Generation Kill, Spiral and House of Cards (both versions)

shermer75
    Free Member

Oops! Sorry about that!!

aye-aye
    Free Member

No worries, it is one of the better ones out there. I’m running out of ideas now that i’ve watched it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Awake
    Elementary
    Homeland
    Vikings
    Dollhouse
    Underbelly (1&2)

darrell
    Free Member

Fringe
    Person of interest

crush83
    Free Member

Falling skies, Arrow or Revolution

warton
    Free Member

Eastbound and down, for a bit of light relief

sausagefingers
    Free Member

Suits is good and Person of Interest but I’ve just started watching Southland and if it keeps going as well as the first two episodes it will definitely be on my favourites list – excellent stuff

vinnyeh

Six Feet Under for intelligent, well acted. Up there with the best.

Enjoyable for me, and not on the list so far, were
    Entourage
    Fringe

But they probably aren’t the series you’re looking for..

rwc03
    Free Member

Treme is good, same guys as the wire

rocket
    Free Member

Didn’t see Mad Men mentioned – best of the lot imo. Other half hooked on house but I can’t stand it.

mega
    Free Member

mad men

surfer
    Free Member

The Wire and The Shield. Havent watched all of the first but what I saw was very good. The Shield was excellent from start to finish.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I watched the 1st episode of “The Americans” last night which started on ITV last Saturday.

Set during the Cold War period in the 1980s, The Americans is the story of two Soviet KGB officers posing as an married American couple, living in Washington D.C. and spying on the USA.

Although there has only been one episode, it looks like it has potential and it has already been renewed for a 2nd series.

I’m surprised nobody else has recommended it but I’d also suggest “Homeland”.

Pigface
    Free Member

I have watched the first series of Breaking Bad and it hasn’t grabbed me yet, should I persevere?

Dexter has jumped the shark, but need to know how the next and last series will go after the last scene of the most recent series.

banks
    Free Member

The killing

gribble
    Free Member

The Shield – very under rated show, best thing to come out of Channel 5. Box set probably cheaper now. I will be watching the rest of the series once I have finished The Wire.

Great Cop show that like The Wire and other series in the Genre, has some really flawed characters that you still feel a connection with. Just saw the surfer had recommended too.

Have not watched Breaking Bad beyond the Pilot episode, but it is on my list. Supposed to be excellent though. And also Homeland Series 1 was good – Series 2 should be out soon I am guessing.

AlasdairMc

I’m watching Arrested Development at the moment. It’s passing the time for me.

huggis
    Free Member

The Killing and Spiral…..

chakaping
    Free Member

You have very similar (and fussy) taste to me. I don’t think you’d like The Killing either. Far more formulaic and irritating than the hype would have you believe.

I did enjoy Treme in spite of a few “larger than life” characters being given too much screen time. Bunk is great in it.

True Blood is very enjoyable trash.

Mad Men is definitely worthy of the hype, best TV show since Twin Peaks?

Such a shame they didn’t make the final series of Deadwood though!

wrecker
    Free Member

I enjoyed sons of anarchy and Justified. Couldn’t get into treme. The killing is good, the bridge is truly excellent.

DezB
    Free Member

How much Sons of Anarchy have you watched? You’ve got to get to the 2nd series before it really comes alive.
    Best series ever by a fair margin I reckon.

_tom_
    Free Member

+1 for The Shield, awesome tv series.

alwillis

Homeland?

Pigface
    Free Member

2nd series of SOA when his son gets xxxxxxxx and the Mrs xxxxxxx got a bit silly IMO did it come good again after that?

tonyd

Another vote for Homeland.

Sounds like you’re a bit of a connoisseur, how about Heroes?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Every time a ‘what boxset’ thread comes up I immediately recommend the Shield. Sublime TV with some genuinely shocking moments. Quite why it’s only been seen by about 14 people in the world is a mystery to me.

Get hold of the Region 1 version though. A key, show–defining episode is almost cut down by half in the UK version for some bizarre reason. Bit of a travesty.

martinhutch

Did you watch the shite British Wallander with Kenneth Branagh, or the Swedish one. The Swedish one is excellent.

First series of Heroes is excellent. Life on Mars (the John Simm one, not the Keeley Hawes rubbish follow-up), and another John Simm offering, State of Play, which is fab.

Milkie
    Free Member

The Following!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v88_EgB7gEA[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

got a bit silly IMO

MO is different from yours.

flange
    Free Member

I really like Justified with Timothy Olyphante or whatever he’s called.

You do need to sit through a fair few SOA’s before it gets good, but it does get really good. Season 3 is a little weak but the rest are awesome.

I struggle with Person of Interest – the main character is just a bit too cheesy.

Suits is probably my favorite after The Wire. Superb acting, funny – very much worth a watch.

As for Game of Thrones, I must be missing something. I think its rubbish – your view may differ…

z1ppy

Got nowt to recommend as the OP watching habit are of a more ‘serious nature’ than ours but I will out a couple of suggestions:

“The following”, well even though were watching it, were both shouting at the police/fbi for being the biggest dumbasses in the world, let alone the idea that 20/30 pychopaths will get all chummy & live together.
    “Persons of interest”, I love this but its just a modern equalizer

“fringe” loved every series except the last which was unnecessary, but doubt the OP will like it (please do try it though)

Ok maybe I recommend some – Awake, (just don’t watch the last episode 😉 ) & Sherlock – how can you watch Elementary if you’ve seen Sherlock? Oh and maybe the Good wife, I don’t watch it, but do tend to get sucked into lurking, when my partner does. OK one last favorite, “Life” quirky & great fun

osteo1
    Free Member

…jumping on this thread any decent series that are not American?
    I’m quite happy watching Breaking Bad, The Wire, Revolution, Walking Dead (and I recommend them all) but the other half is getting wound up by all the American accents on our TV!!

osteo1
    Free Member

Oh and Lie To Me, I love that!

Pigface
    Free Member

MO is different from yours.

makes the world go round 😆 will have to revisit then.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Shield is quite entertaining, but sometimes gets a bit much.

This is a better bet…

Northwind

West Wing

Not sure exactly where Oz lost the plot and where it regained it, but the first 2 series are fantastic, and ideal if you felt Breaking Bad just wasn’t grim and amoral enough.

zippykona

The Shield. The last episode of the last series was the best thing I think I have watched on telly.
    Just what did Vic do ?
    I I think you could watch the last series first as you would want to know what caused the shit storm that lands at Vic’s feet. Talk about every wrong doing coming back to bite you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What good TV series to tide me over until Breaking Bad returns?’ is closed to new replies.