Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What glue for this broken dishwasher part? Or new at £95?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

£95 to buy a new fascia panel shown below. Should I glue it instead? What glue is good for this sort of job?

P1060055.JPG by cakefest, on Flickr

spchantler
    Free Member

epoxy, but its not a glue issue really, more of a clamping issue while glue sets…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

I be more worried about it self combusting than a cracked fascia. You checked to see if its on the recall register?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Use a bit of mesh too to reinforce it too

properbikeco
    Free Member

duck tape will sort that

cakefest
    Free Member

Definitely not on the recall list so no combusting I hope.

craigxxl, what’s the mesh you’re talking about reinforcing it with? how would i do that?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cosmetically, its going to look a lot worse after the glue has been used. Unless its a structural piece, I’d learn to live with it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Loctite 770 primer then loctite 406 to glue it. Pretty instant so no issues with clamping.

spandex_bob

Assuming you can take it off to get to the back, I’d try araldite, probably bonding some lollysticks as splints across the crack. assuing there’s clearance and its not packed against loads of electrical gubbins when reassembled.

Or alternatively, plastic weld it back together? I’ve seen motorbike fairings neatly welded back together, again you’ll need to remove it and either have a go (soldering iron?) or take it to a pro.

finishthat
    Free Member

Chloroform is perfect for mending plastics…..

trout
    Free Member

Chloroform is perzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tom-B
    Free Member

chorlton
    Free Member

My Hotpoint has cracked there too. It was like that when i got it second hand. Ok it’s where you pull open the door but recently I’ve stopped using mine cause of a burning smell. Opening it up revealed a burnt live feed connector right where the crack is so I wonder if it’s connected.

andyl
    Free Member

epoxy might struggle to glue that due to the surface energy. I’d look for a primer and glue as above. Don’t use too much and figure out a way to clamp it together for the bonding period before you start and it should look okay.

lasty
    Free Member

soldering iron to weld the plastic together and run it over with a hot glue gun and mesh – done it dozens of times…

From the back obviously … 🙄

giantx4
    Free Member

Mitre mate!… Spray curing spray first,then once that dries apply the resin to the crack… Hold together for 10 seconds….! Job done!!.. Get it in good hardware stores or interweb!… You will thank me for this….

craigxxl
    Free Member

If it was me I’d rough the reverse side up and apply Araldite with either some aluminum mesh or plasters joint tape to give a bit more strength to the repair to cope with the vibrations from the washing machine.

supremebean
    Free Member

What giantx4 said! Mitre fast is ace, fixed loads of things with it.

The only thing I have found that wouldn’t stick is plastic cable guides to my frame, still looking for that solution.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What glue for this broken dishwasher part? Or new at £95?’ is closed to new replies.