Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What glue for metal to metal?
  • skiprat
    Free Member

So i’ve made a space for some dropouts both of which are steel and i need to hold the spacer firmly in place. I don’t want to tack it in place as would rather not need to have to grind the weld off to get it out after.

So what glue?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Frame building or transport ?

Transport , make the spacer tapered

Frame building , thread the ends and use 4 bolts to secure it in place and at the right width.

skiprat
    Free Member

Its for horizontal dropouts that i can’t use chaintugs on. Spacer is to go in front of axle, just lookng to make sure its secure.

spchantler
    Free Member

epoxy? the trouble with metal to metal is its hard to get it clean and dry, use weak acid, water and thinners, in that order, thoroughly drying with cloth in between each stage. still no guarantee tho. thats what i’d try…

nickjb
    Free Member

Editted.. re-read it. Epoxy would be my vote

mountainman

Chemical Metal (plastic padding product) car assesory shop/hardware .

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have a big pot of West System epoxy at home that I use for everything and I would not trust any adhesive alone in that application, way too much force and poor bonding to the substrate esp. without acid cleaning etc, only any good as backup to a mechanical fixing (per loctite)

andyl
    Free Member

got a picture?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Slow drying two-part epoxy. Key the surfaces with abrasive paper or a file, clean with full strength (99.9%) isopropanol (available at the chemists I think, failing that Ebay).

skiprat
    Free Member

Right, bit of a sketch for you. Pink bit is the spacer with the axle of the wheel pushing it into the dropout. This is the drive side so will be pushed forward even more. Just want to try to secure it with some glue.

Chain tug won’t work as theres a gear hanger on there too.

Have got IPA at home so no problems cleaing it/degreasing it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What glue for metal to metal?’ is closed to new replies.