Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What glue for handlebar grips ?
  • DrJ

My grips are slightly too big, and work loose over the course of a ride. What is a good glue to keep them in place? Superglue seems like overkill…

scuttler

Lock on grips grandad 😉

They come on and off at the flick of an allen key.

wwaswas

hairspray.

tubthumped
    Free Member

IMO invest in some lock-on grips. Well worth the money.

If you want to keep with the ones you have, I’d imagine Renthal grip glue would be fine. I used it on my race bikes (as in motorbikes) and never had one fall off. I also used lockwire – but that’s probably a bit overkill on a MTB!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Hairspray and lock wire. Or just get some lock-on grips.

sazter

As above, Hairspray. Spray on, when wet allows the grip to slide on then sets nice and solid.

IHN

The strongest nastiest cheapest hairspray you can find

stoffel
    Free Member

The strongest nastiest cheapest hairspray you can find

This. I’ve discovered that expensive stuff is useless (must be a different chemical compound). Sainsbury’s Basics hairspray is about 50p a can and lasts for ages. To remove, simply push a thin spoke under the grip, spray in more hairspray, and it will come off easily.

DrJ

Maybe I can borrow some hairspray. I feel a bit daft buying it, seeing as I have no hair … 🙁

sharkattack

You can still buy non-lock-on grips?

Who knew?

mudshark
    Free Member

Non-lock on save weight I suppose – so weight-weenies like.

Maybe I can borrow some hairspray. I feel a bit daft buying it, seeing as I have no hair

At least you can be sure it’s not for you, hate to be thought of as the kind of guy that uses hair spray 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe I can borrow some hairspray. I feel a bit daft buying it, seeing as I have no hair …

I’d feel dafter not using lock-ons 😛

stoffel
    Free Member

Lock-ons are expensive and wasteful; you can’t replace the rubber bits so you end up with the useless metal collars to throw into the landfill.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

get perfume free extra firm hold hairspray.

IHN

you can’t replace the rubber bits

Yes, you can.

DrJ

I have lock-ons on my proper bike, but my work bike grips need a bit of surgery so lock-ons not feasible 🙁 I will swallow my pride and buy hair spray.

Classified:
    One can of hair spray, 99.99% unused. Will accept any offer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

grip glue. off ebay.

chambord
    Free Member

I will swallow my pride and buy hair spray.

Self service checkouts were designed exactly for this reason

edhornby

I used to feel ever so slightly daft buying (the cheapest possible) hair conditioner to use as open cell wetsuit protector, with a no2 haircut 🙂

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I feel a bit daft buying it, seeing as I have no hair …

Precisely why we used to delight in sending one of our crew cut sporting mechanics round to the chemist for 10 cans of cheap and nasty hair spray when we ran short 😀

richmtb

I used to feel ever so slightly daft buying (the cheapest possible) hair conditioner to use as open cell wetsuit protector, with a no2 haircut

You think thats bad, I persuaded a mate that KY jelly was the best lubricant for a carbon post as normal grease is bad for carbon!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What glue for handlebar grips ?’ is closed to new replies.