Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • What gives you the hebegeebees?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been watching a lot of woodwork videos on youtube recently and I can’t help but feel uneasy every time someone starts using a table saw. Despite the fact that it’s all prerecorded and is 99.999% certain to end well I still feel like I’m about to see someone sever a hand. I’m ok using a saw myself it’s just watching other people do it that makes me feel very uneasy. Despite the equally exposed blade bandsaws don’t elicit quite the same reaction which seems odd.

What freaks you out, causes you to avert your eyes or otherwise makes you feel a wee bit queasy?

perchypanther
    Free Member

hebegeebees?

Phil_H

People putting in or taking out their contact lenses

richmtb

Reading about tables saws apparently as I was cringing thinking about it!

Spiders

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What freaks you out, causes you to avert your eyes or otherwise makes you feel a wee bit queasy?

Binners.

ajantom

You’re right about the table saws. I saw a piece of wood ejected from one recently that was going fast enough to go right through the apron the user was wearing. Luckily they’re quite tall, or they might have lost a bollock 😯

Also, Thicknesser/Planers. Colleague of mine, excellent DT teacher of many years standing literally took the palm of his hand off on one. Urgh. That was a lot of blood!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The heebie jeebies are only caused by one thing. Drunken guilt.

The feeling of the dread you get the morning after your works Xmas night out.

See also – the cider spiders.

shermer75
    Free Member

Actually no, these were the HeeBeeGeeBees (and yes, that guy in the middle is Angus Deayton)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yip Table Saw for me.

I once had to clean up a mess, then note all the safety gear/lack of/should have been there before a report was given to the then Heath and Safety Inspectorate for a claim made by an employee that … because he wanted to cut 20mm slices off a bit of 4×2 he’d remove all the guards and push the timber in with his hands..

And lost two finger off his right hand.

It was “interesting” sifting through the sawdust underneath to find both fingers..

👿

And interesting paperwork to fill in too.

Clean cuts I have to say, off for 6mths then back on light duties.. nice lad too.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Camembert and Brie

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Oh bugger, thanks to ajantom I’ve just added Thicknesser/Planers to the list of things that now freak me out. Literally shuddered picturing that.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Router tables and, weirdly, fresh Stanley blades.

Non-woodworking: raw chicken.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Hangovers

bikebouy
    Free Member

That goat pic ought to be removed…

😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Goat pic is nowhere near as horrific as

tiggs121 – Member
    Camembert and Brie

Delete your account.

sandwicheater

Toilet seat warmth in public toilets.

P-Jay
    Free Member

finding forks entangled by their prongs – goes right through me, I feel in it my teeth.

I can handle it now, but once when I opened the drawer in my kitchen and found the last 2 forks like that I freaked a little, banged the drawer open and closed a few times to free them and when that didn’t work I closed it and left it for a week to give them the chance to do the right thing. 7 days passed before I opened it again (I was working away 5 of them though).

I can close my eyes and seperate them now, if I have to.

shermer75
    Free Member

the cider spiders

😆

sweepy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk[/video]

Here you go OP, the fun starts at 4:20 or thereabouts

Beagleboy

Injections. I can’t watch anyone getting an injection, even if it’s a pretend one on the telly. As a diabetic, I stick needles into myself umpteen times a day, but I can’t watch anyone else doing the same.

Yuk!

finbar
    Free Member

Angle grinders. My dad tried to teach me how to use a big one on some scrap iron when I was in my mid-teens and it was bloody terrifying.

I can just about manage to use a 4″ one now without getting too scared.

brakes
    Free Member

first person shooter computer games where there is something going to attack you, it just hasn’t happened yet.
    notably zombies, aliens and the German Shepherd dogs in Call of Duty.
    Sends shivers down my spine every time.

jimdubleyou

Lladro figurines.

Freaky little weirdos.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Injections. I can’t watch anyone getting an injection, even if it’s a pretend one on the telly. As a diabetic, I stick needles into myself umpteen times a day, but I can’t watch anyone else doing the same.

Injections – but only for me, and only if I look.

I can watch anyone else get an injection, either on TV or in person. I’ve even given other people injections without so much as a twinge.

I’m perfectly fine with getting injections myself as long as I don’t watch it happening.

As soon as I look and see that needle piercing my skin, I freak out.

also, Scented Geraniums

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Chainsaws and freaky dolls.

properly put me on edge, I think if i saw a chainsaw operating freaky doll i’d explode.

cardo

Those you tube vids of people dangling and wandering around on top of massive chimneys and such like.. Makes my toes curl

colournoise

Phil_H – Member
    People putting in or taking out their contact lenses

This.

And these…

SaxonRider

Balconies. Not heights in general. Just balconies.

😯

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Milling machines. Ever since an apprentice who thought he knew what he was doing fractured a tool. We were picking bits out of the wall!

Long bits of swarf off a lathe as well.

tazzymtb

I used to climb very very tall stacks for a living. the fact that a big solid structure gets a “vanishing point” when look off the top of it and more concerning, the buggers dont half sway in a strong wind and get all sorts of internal whale song used to really freak me out at first.

Oh and old school steeple jack scaffolding with pegs and rope, that was a full on Fred Dibnah I’d rather not repeat. (luckily with modern HSE standards that would never happen today)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We were picking bits out of the wall!

Bit’s of tool or bits of apprentice?

fasthaggis

theotherjonv

Fingers. Have broken and dislocated many in my years playing in goal and keeping wicket, but the thought of it still makes me squirm.

sssimon
    Free Member

Frogs

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cows.
    Endless fields of Cows….
    Also, finding no loo roll left after a terrible ordeal at the pan face…

tenfoot

Those funny earrings that take up the whole earlobe, like what the youf wear.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Not a fan of bugs that would be the stuff of nightmares if magnified.

In fact there’s basically a wikipedia article of stuff I wouldn’t fancy watching!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_horror_films

Caveat – Treevenge sounds just awful enough to be fun

pondo

Toilet seat warmth in public toilets.

+1. I’d rather lose fingers on a table saw.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Chainsaws. Yet love an axe.

Spiders. But love all other insects.

I witnessed a schoolfriend drop his trowel blade he was heating in the furnace in tech.

He put the tings down and grabbed it. Bleeeeurgh

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What gives you the hebegeebees?’ is closed to new replies.