Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What gear ratio for SS 29er, ghetto tubelss query and any other tips?
  • Algore
    Free Member

I currently run a 32x 16 on my 26 wheel single speed. This year I am fortunate enough to have got myself a 29er as well.

So what gear ratio should I be running.

Also will ghetto work? If so what size inner tubes do I need to cut up?

Any other hints and tips for joing the big wheel world?

singlespeedstu

32:18 yes and 26"tubes.

Ignore the kidswheel loudmouth naysayers. 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

32:20 here for hilly stuff / winter mud. 32:18 for fast flowing hardpacked trails in the summer*

Not tried tubeless as I use tubes and Slime sealant…I know the weight is holding me back (but not as much as a Wok would!)

SSP

*ie holiday in Caliornia / Colorado!

singlespeedstu

Do not knock the wok.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

32 – 18 standard

32 – 19 or 20 depending how hilly

32- 16 for flat rides

Who called them Single Speeds?

keavo
    Free Member

33×20, all the time, usually hilly rides.

fontmoss
    Free Member

have been running 34:18 but bit steep last time went out and riding less now so prob dig out my 20t cog or find a 19 to make it closer to 32:18- which is a pretty ideal ratio tbh

emac65
    Free Member

32:16 for riding around Cannock suits me.Not ftd stuff,the betterer stuff ok 😀

robdeanhove
    Free Member

32:18 on a 29er is roughly equivalent (within tyre size difference) to 32:16 on a 26" wheeled bike, so 32:18 is a good place to start.

Earl
    Free Member

Slight hijack – Currently running 32:18 with upwards tensioner. Would 32:19 definately require a longer chain or maybe depending on the amount of tensioner deflection?

emac65
    Free Member

32:18 on a 29er is roughly equivalent (within tyre size difference) to 32:16 on a 26" wheeled bike, so 32:18 is a good place to start.

I heard that too but I haven't noticed much(if any)difference between running the same ratio on a larger wheel tbh…

Algore
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    When choosing my wheels do I need to go for more spokes to make them stiffer? As they are bigger than 26ers will having extra spoked stop the wheels from flexing on corners?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What gear ratio for SS 29er, ghetto tubelss query and any other tips?’ is closed to new replies.