Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what gear ratio for long steep climbs
  • oreetmon
    Free Member

as above, time to change my 1×9 set up and want to go back to a 2×9. getting a bit older and fatter these days and would like to make the climbing a bit easier on the knees. what gear ratios would help me out.
    cheers.

chilled76
    Free Member

Surely this is a purely subjective question. Totally depends on how strong and fit you are and how long and steep the climb is.

Personally only running 2 chainrings with a 9 speed block I would run 22 and 32, with a 11-32 cassette at the back. But as I say that would be my personal choice. I’d imagine some people would never use a gear as light as 22-32 and some people would want a bigger large ribg at the front due to the places they ride being more open and faster than my local joints.

br
    Free Member

A granny ring?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try some deep squats and lunges to build up/maintain leg strength dont let age bother you, on the plus side if you build/maintain your leg strength you may keep the fat away !

johnellison
    Free Member

Surely this is a purely subjective question. Totally depends on how strong and fit you are and how long and steep the climb is.

^This.

The only “correct” ratio is the one that you can spin comfortably to get you up there!!

epicyclo

what gear ratio for long steep climbs

It’s always one with 50% less gear inches than your lowest gear.

curvature
    Free Member

I would use a 53 up front running a single ring with a road cassette at the back.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

One that works.

There’s no magic gear.

Just like there’s no magic tyre, no magic tyre pressure etc etc etc…….

tang
    Free Member

In the main if you are riding long rides with long climbs often(and poss a trail full suss) just wang a triple on or 36/22/bash. No need to suffer! If fitness dictates otherwise start shedding rings you don’t use. Plus when the 9sp stuff wears out you can use the big ratio cassettes on offer with 10sp and start the dilemma again!

Rorschach
    Free Member

32/16

oreetmon
    Free Member

chilled, tang, rorsch, thanks for the advice 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what gear ratio for long steep climbs’ is closed to new replies.