Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What gear cable?
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Bought some shimano sp41 outer, just need an inner cable, what do stw users use?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m using xtr right now because it came with the shifters. However, normal shimano stainless will be replacing it when the time comes.

cp

Shimano – cheap from merlin, ribble etc….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lovetoride
    Free Member

Can’t see them on merlin?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I get some good teflon coated inner cables cheap off ebay. A couple of weeks ago I got 10 Teflon Coated Goodridge ones for just a tenner. Not bad at all!

lovetoride
    Free Member

Getonyourbike – cant see any on the bay!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

dahm. I can see some fibrax ones from the seller that I got mine from but they’re brake cables. 🙁 Or just something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halt-Stainless-Steel-Slick-Inner-MTB-Brake-Cables-x-10-rrp-11-99-/220874517619?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item336d25ac73#ht_2434wt_954

lovetoride
    Free Member

They’re brake cables?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

doh!

lovetoride
    Free Member

Thanks, anyone used jagwire or transfil stainless steel cables?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

They’re all pretty much the same. As long as they’re stainless steel or stainless steel with a teflon/ptfe coating then you’re good. Oh, when your cables start to get a bit mucky, invest in some Rock N Roll Cable Magic, awesome stuff.

cp

On Merlin:-

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/MTB+Accessories/Cables/list.htm

I’ve found some of the cheaper cables (Clarks in particular) to stretch quite a lot – I had a few and had a mare with shifting, resolved by going back to Shimano.

SBrock
    Free Member

Thanks, anyone used jagwire or transfil stainless steel cables?

Yes Transfil always have done, get mine from ukbikestore, they are only £1.99, when I change my rear cable just reuse it for the the front.

They come in different diameters depending if you uses SRAM or shitmano

Never had any issue with stretching

lovetoride
    Free Member

Dunno why I didn’t see them first time when I looked!!!! Cheers!

iainc

xtr all the time – IMO they remain smoother for longer. Also have Middleburn Cable oilers which help

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What gear cable?’ is closed to new replies.