Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What Gas BBQ?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know, sacrilege. I have a very cool charcoal bbq – Son of Hibachi which is great for picnics and camping, but Mrs_Bandito would like a big gas one for instant garden cooking fun. And who am I to argue if she’s cooking for me?

Any recommendations for manufacturers, must-have features, and good value bargains?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Weber q series, the one with temp gauge. You won’t go back.

alpin
    Free Member

No gas bbq. Heathen.

May as well hold your meat over the gas hob in the kitchen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As much as I used to think that I’m converted, the Australian way works

flatfish
    Free Member

Got a Weber Spirit 310 last week and its been great, no regrets.
    MiL has the same.
    BiL is across from California atm, they do loads of BBQ cooking and they were impressed with the Spirit too.

bigblackshed

Weber or Outback. Spend as much as you can afford.

sam_underhill

No, that’s not how gas bbqs work (well, not good ones anyway).

The gas heats a metal diffuser hood thing over the top of the flame. The fats then drip onto this and smoulder / flare – just like a charcoal bbq. The only think you miss out on is the actual smoke from the burning coals.
    Don’t get me wrong, I think I prefer a charcoal bbq, but the convenience of gas to use at the drop of a hat means that I use one much more often.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Another vote for Weber Q

ratherbeintobago

We’re looking at the two-burner Weber Spirit ATM, as the three-burner ones are *enormous*.

(Gas convert after buying a gas portable barbecue).

theotherjonv

The E210?

I just bought one 6 weeks ago. Very impressed with it compared to my previous ‘no name’ 3 burner. The quality of the build is chalk and cheese, with some really nice (useful) touches like the disposable drip tray that channels grease away (I used to get big flare ups on my old one)

The cooking size isn’t that different, TBH. I did a barbecue for 8 on it with no issues; the only downside really is that if you get pro and want to do big joints on it low and slow, using the two outside burners and standing the meat in the middle isn’t possible. I have yet to try it on this one, will be meat on one side with the other burner going and hoping to get some decent convection going.

ratherbeintobago

One of my brother’s mates has got an E210 and rates it very highly too.

Only things it doesn’t do that the bigger ones do are the lack of a Sear Station (whatever that might be) and the lift-out grate for woks etc.

DezB
    Free Member

My eyes water at the very thought

theotherjonv

lack of a Sear Station (whatever that might be)

Small section of the grill with tightly spaced burners for getting a quick hot bit to give you those burnt marks.

I can get burns on my steaks easily enough using the standard burners, TBH. Or – blast them with a plumber’s blowtorch right at the end of cooking for added black bits.

bigblackshed

Moar burners are moar betterer. Less cold spots / more control.

jonnyrockymountain

weber q, and keep your fingers crossed we get some half decent weather to use it?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

No gas bbq. Heathen.

See original post:

I know, sacrilege. I have a very cool charcoal bbq – Son of Hibachi which is great for picnics and camping, but Mrs_Bandito would like a big gas one for instant garden cooking fun. And who am I to argue if she’s cooking for me?

Weber FTW by the looks of it….

alpin
    Free Member

Haha…. 🙂

Also got a Hibachi. Good little grill. Just wish I had tightened up all the bolts before using it for the first time.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

A Weber Q has worked well for us for years now. Think of it as an outdoor grill that you don’t have to wash up – we used to use ours for fish/steak/sausages pretty much all year round.

dantsw13

John Lewis own brand here, after much shopping around. Mine is a 6 burner with a large reversible griddle. About £500 IIRC.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What Gas BBQ?’ is closed to new replies.