Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What fun car with a towbar (or that can carry a bike easily)?
  • damitamit
    Free Member

My Mitsi FTO was written off this week, so time for a new (impractical) car…

Any suggestions?

Up to 5k (thou possibly could go more if I really like it)

So far have pondered MX5 mk1, BMW Z3, S2000 (thou not bike friendly)

mchlptchr
    Free Member

MR2 Turbo plus roof rack.

Easily get a good one for that money.

240 bhp, rwd, Toyota reliability and biker friendly!

My rack takes about 2 minutes to fit/remove.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

S2000 for grunt, MX5 for the best drive, Z3 not really in the same league.

I had an MX5 Mk3 and had no problem with a bike on the back.

Personally I wouldnt look at Impreza’s. Likely to be ragged and not that much fun to drive. Ok fast and grip like mad, but that stupid levels of grip actually makes them a bit dull. At least MX5’s and S2000’s do break loose when you try.

damitamit
    Free Member

Interesting… Any pics?

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Not on the work PC! Can send later though.

Picked mine up a few months ago for £4K

56,000 miles, completely standard and just imported from Japan so no rust/corrosion at all. Driven about 2,000 miles since then and absolutely love it!

Had to get the rack from Japan also (about £130 i think) and just stuck a couple of cycle carriers on.

There’s usually a few nice ones on the Pistonheads site. I’d try to avoid anything with loads of mods though.

damitamit
    Free Member

Looks nice mchlptchr, love the stock look.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

That one isn’t actually mine, but it does look exactly the same.

I’d second what FunkyDunc says. MX5 is a lovely drive but slow (especially if you’re coming from an FTO), S2000 has a great engine but is quite expensive for a good one.

Don’t be put off by the fact that the MR2 is an import. Insurance isn’t too bad (i’m 27 and pay £600), parts and servicing isn’t an issue (same engine as Celica GT4). Cars from 1993 (rev 3) onwards have much improved handling and more power than earlier ones.

Not sure what else there is if you’re after 2 seats and rwd.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have one a rack that goes on to the rear rack on my 1990 Mk1 Eunos. can’t find an image online but puts the bike upright mounted by fork and rr wheel. Pricey new (if available!) but works well, rack rated to 35kg so can take 2 bikes if nec.

I’ve not got a 20mm adaptor on it yet and sometimes I put it in the passenger seat in a bike-bag with forks compressed with a toe-strap.

Early boxsters can be got for £5K, worth a look? Not sure if there’s as nice a solution as above.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Didn’t realise you can get bikes on a Boxster.

Definitely worth considering.

damitamit
    Free Member

MR2 is nice, but seems like could be potentially a lot of hassle (like the FTO was sometimes).

Currently thinking a MX5 mk1 with a towbar, seems to be lot about so more to choose from, reliable, cheap and a little quirky. Quite like the hard top versions.

Don’t think you can put a towbar on a S2000, so bike carrying would be a problem.

Or I could just get something more sensible like a mk1 Leon Cupra…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£5k surely only gets you a Boxter, and not a Boxter S?

Ive never driven either, but apparently the Boxter is under powered, but then again as above so is the MX5 but power doesnt matter if a car drives so well.

Edit – Why MX5 with a towbar? I quite happily got a full sus on a boot rack on my MX5. Can you actually mount a tow bar on an MX5? I would have thought its just the body work and then a nice big void to the rear axle, at least a Mk3 is, just like many other decent sports cars.

damitamit
    Free Member

Just thought a towbar would be easier. Supposedly you can mount one on a mk1, but not a mk2, mk3.

Is it just strapped to the boot rack? or are there mounts?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Towbar is better, easier and you can do so many other things with it. Like tow stuff, or fit a bumper dumper…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just a normal bog standard boot rack.

(just a random pic off the net)

tall_martin

What about an integra typr r? £5k should get you an ok one and bikes fit in with the rear seats down.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2800881.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3104846.htm

damitamit
    Free Member

Integra is a possible.

Also thinking Celica T Sport. 190bhp and you can fold the rear seats.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I looked into racks a lot when I got my Eunos. IIRC a tow-bar will go on a Mk1, but there was something odd with the legals – about the car not being rated to tow stuff. I imagine a tow-bar rack would be a neat solution though.

Nite the Mk1 boot is tiny – I use my boot-rack a lot, esp. on trips.

TheFlyingOx

MR2 Turbo plus roof rack.

Easily get a good one for that money.

240 bhp, rwd, Toyota reliability and biker friendly!

My rack takes about 2 minutes to fit/remove.

So much this. Not sure about the “too much hassle” though. They’re bombproof. Mine went pop because of seeing how much I could eek out of the engine whilst keeping the standard headgasket, turbo, etc. That just meant when it was rebuilt, it was done with a bit more strength. Leave it as standard and they’ll run forever.
    Mine was cheap on insurance too. Lots of mods (+40% on top of standard power) all declared and it was still only £500 fully comp. That was me at 29 with 1 years ncb.

davidjey
    Free Member

What finally killed the FTO Amit? Did the rioters burn it?

damitamit
    Free Member

Yes, they were frustrated at all the JDM cars on the roads in the London so torched it with a bottle of cognac!

Nah, the small dent made by neighbour was going to cost 2 grand to repair so they wrote it off. Could get it fixed but my insurance is running out soon and I fancy a change!

Hmmm, MR2 with a roof rack. What do people think of the uk market non-turbos?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3089713.htm
    and
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3098370.htm

gee
    Free Member

I ran an S2000 for a year or so, they are awesome. The 9000 rpm limit is mental. Bike rack fits on the boot easily (Hollywood one).

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I had an S2000 with a Saris Bones RS rack. Worked very well i used to stick the wheels in a wheel bag on the passenger seat for longer or more spirited drives.

Still have the rack somewhere, which i would sell with if you were interested.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What fun car with a towbar (or that can carry a bike easily)?’ is closed to new replies.