Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What Full Susser (AM end of XC) – Orange 5, Lappierre Zesty etc….
  • Frodo

So I’ve been riding Hardtails all my life and never had the urge to get a full susser and tbh been quite happy ….and then the arms race started!(and I’m going to get a windfall from selling my car to re-join the company car scheme).

I’m actually thinling not just about the technical ability but also comfort for long XC rides too.

So I was offerred a Lappiere Spicy by a work colleague for £800 little used. This seems good but its a bit more bike than I was bargaining for. I want something that I can climb and decend on for long days.

Having never ridden a full suspension bike what am I looking for? Is the Spicy actually a good climber and decender or would the zesty be a better option.

I’m tempted by the orange 5.

Thoughts, opinions and downright biased plugging all welcome.

Ta, Rich

pipiom
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Tallboy (LTC if you can afford it and like 29ers) it’s a weapon!!!!
    Or alum version if ££££ are limited ( frame only option if you want)

slackalice
    Free Member

What’s your budget frodo?

In the time honoured fashion, I’d heartily recommend the FS I have as my requirements were similarly the XC/AM variety, with more bias to the XC. It’s the PYGA 120 650b. Built mine last year for £3.5k ish.

Frodo

Budget up to £3k, less would be better obviously!

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep, it would be possible with some judicious parts purchasing. For example, the various deals on SLX group sets etc. 🙂

Enjoy the process! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your thinking 5, look at the Santa Cruz Bantam & Heckler. You could squeeze a Tallboy Lt into that new. Second hand might yield better value.

althepal

575? Climbs well, loves the downd. Obviously I have one.
    Was looking at the same criteria as you when I got mine a few years ago!

kimbers

kona process 134

alibongo001

I have a rather lovely 2012 18″ 5 from the Hope factory you could have for £1800!

SLX / XT drivetrain fox shocks and forks. Oh and hope everything else!

alibongo001

Sorry double post, it is nice but not worth mentioning twice!

hughjengin
    Free Member

I know its a bit Ford Mondeo, but I rather like my FSR Carbon Stumpy 29er.

maxtorque

One good thing about the Spicy/Zesty is that they are (until 2014 models) the same frame for each, just in different colours and with different components. As such, i can run my zesty on light wheels/tyres, with a light 140mm fork and have a great climber, that sits at around 11kg. Or, i can fit a 160mm fork and shock, big up the wheels and tyres, stick on my dropper post and have a bike that still climbs ok, weighs around 13kg, but can hammer down an “ALP” at a decent lick.

slackalice
    Free Member

^^^^ Good point well made. Same size wheels too. Good option for you OP methinks 🙂

Frodo

Now that’s interesting. It’s a 2010 spicy 216. If the frame is the same as the zesty I could get the spicy for 800 and invest in some new lighter forks. The domains look a little heavy and hardcore for my intentions.

??

razorrazoo

If you’re OK with 26 wheels I’ve seen a few Turner 5 Spots around at cracking prices considering the original price as another consideration. Great bikes for AM/Trail use. Climb really well and good on the downs too (DW link), suit a 140/150 fork well but can be build up with bigger. This said the Lappy at £800 sounds tempting (depending on age – not sure myself but IIRC some of the older ones had cracking issues so may be best to do some research).

fazanders
    Free Member

I took the plunge with a new Zesty 527 recently and not looked back since. Climbs, rolls & descends really nicely. Initially wasn’t sure about the feel of it all but after a couple of rides and getting my eye in with it I was suitably impressed. No faults with it thus far! (long may that last) 😆

kudos100
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for a spicy unless you are downhilling or riding lots of rough terrain.

Zesty would be a better bet. Have a gander at a few different bikes and try and ride a few.

mrben100
    Free Member

Have you considered from the Trek Fuel Ex range?

I love them and I don’t care who knows it. Sorry, I’ll get my coat.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Frodo I don’t think the ’10 models were the same frame so that won’t work.

chestrockwell

I’ve had 2x 5’s and now have a 5 29. All have been ace, all are recommended. I’ve tried plenty of other FS bikes but none that I’ve liked better so I keep going Orange. Oh, and they hold their value better then most if that’s a consideration.

Frodo

One more thing …sizing. I ride a 16″ hardtail does this equate to a 16″ FS frame? Seen a 5 demo bike reduced by £500 but 17″?

tmb467
    Free Member

Mate of mine has a large 2011 Zesty on ebay for about 1300

email for details if you’re interested

EDIT: ignore this if you’re on a 16″ HT

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d look at a Canyon personally, model depends on what wheel size and travel you want, hard to do better for the money.
    As much as I love my Zesty I wouldn’t buy another now (apart from maybe the electronic suspension version if money was no object) and I certainly wouldn’t buy one second-hand

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Having never ridden a full suspension bike what am I looking for?

Demo days. Seriously.

Full suss bikes are all pretty good these days and if you’ve never ridden one before you will probably be impressed with whatever you get. They can also be very different though. Some people love the Yeti ASR5, whereas I didn’t. Lots of people love an Orange 5 yet lots don’t.

I don’t think you’ll go too far wrong with any of the modern 120 – 150mm travel machines, but some will suit your riding style more than others and the sure fire way of picking which is which is to demo some.

Personally I’m very happy with my Transition Bandit, but I tried a small handful before picking that and had a frame of reference from previous FS bikes I’d ridden.

duffrider
    Free Member

I would recommend riding getting as many test rides as you can under your belt. Demo days at trail centres are great if you can get to them and they usually offer a discount if you put a deposit on a bike on the day.

Test rides from bike shops are a next best. You can still get a feel for sizing, climbing ability ( if you throw in some hills) and even trail like performance if you can ride it down some steps…..Just don’t take it back to the bike shop muddy!

I plumped for my first full suss after years of riding HT only last year. Tried fives, Fuels, Remedy, trance and ended out going for a Norco Sight 650b.

Finding the right bike is all part of the fun…..enjoy!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for a Yeti 575 ( and yes, I do have one!)

I went from an XC hardtail to a long travel hardtail to a 575. My main criteria when I bought it was an XC all day capable bike with longer travel and all round ability. A lot of my riding is XC, but I’ll do the odd trail centre, and go to the Alps once a year, so I wanted something that would do it all. The 575 is an excellent choice.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty is a great climber and descender, I found it a bike for everything I needed from CX to Val Nord.

wolfrider
    Free Member

Theres a demo at cannock chase this sat n sun. Spesh trek lappierre orange santa cruz whyte and yeti are all there. Its being run by leisure lakes.

chestrockwell

One more thing …sizing. I ride a 16″ hardtail does this equate to a 16″ FS frame? Seen a 5 demo bike reduced by £500 but 17″?

The 17″ 5 used to be the same as the 18″ but with 1″ off the seat tube. I’d have thought you’d be ok though.

brokenbanjo

Got my first full susser last year. Got a Norco Sight. 140mm of fun, fun, fun! Don’t know why I see so few about, because they are a really good bike.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What Full Susser (AM end of XC) – Orange 5, Lappierre Zesty etc….’ is closed to new replies.