• This topic has 37 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by COZZY.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What full suss trail bike – max £2200 ?
  • COZZY
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new bike in the January sales on interest free…

Limit set at £2200……..

general all round trail centers and beyond.

Some are crazy money bikes out there I know… so what recommendations please ?

Thinking of the Whyte T130 ?

(I have an FSR now and have had a Yeti 575… I want this one to be THE one and bring big smiles when I open the garage and cock a leg over her…)

Bregante

Still some Trigger Carbons left in medium at Paul’s. That’s where my money would go. Edit: may be pushing your luck waiting til January tho…..

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5688/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-CARBON-2-27-5-2015

Bargain at £2k surely.

COZZY
    Free Member

That’s a lot of bike.. that lefty fork still freaks me out though………… but I’ve never tried one…

TheFopster
    Free Member

Canyon Spectral? I’m still waiting to see if they are doing 29er version again this year. Canyon UK don’t seem to know, but if you want 27.5 then it’s a lot of (very good looking) bike for the money…

deviant
    Free Member

Loads about, the direct sales models are the obvious choice but can be tricky to get test rides on.

Giant Trance it’s available at that price, lovely lightweight frame and incredible DW/Maestro link rear suspension that actually firms up under pedaling.

Spesh Stumpy can be had at that price.

Trek Remedy is available for less than 2k now it’s end of season.

Nukeproof TR, the shorter rear travel one makes an excellent trail bike.

Genuinely so much choice and so many good bikes, enjoy…..pick the one you like the look of the most or can get the best deal on and go for that one, you’ll be happy either way.

shifter
    Free Member

Seen a few 27r Processes about and ads on here for them at reduced prices.

SirHC

As Deviant has mentioned above, Giant Trance makes a very good trail bike.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/trance.27.5.2/25011/90561/

Climbs well, descends well, a very good all round bike. Can’t fault mine.

StuE
    Free Member

Rode a Trance for a day in Spain,cracking bike,keep looking at these
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-trance-27-5-1-2015.html

Leku
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bird Aeris is another choice.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Camber Evo would be the sensible choice.

Harry_the_Spider

Trigger and enough spare cash for a new suit and, a kilo of monkey nuts and tram fare home.

pnik

Lapierre seem to do some solid kit at about that pricepoint, i know a couple of happy zesty owners.

COZZY
    Free Member

I will miss the good deals as im looking for a 3 year interest free shop – and no shop does this on sale bikes – so it will have to be a 2016 bike on a zero interest deal – so ill miss those crazy ar$e discount deals unfortunately… like the look of the mondraker though

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Evans in Sheffield are having a warehouse clearance. Definitely some good deals to be had.

DrT
    Free Member

Why do you need interest free credit. Would a bank loan + big discount on a sale bike not be cheaper than full price bike with interest free loan?

kerley
    Free Member

Would a bank loan + big discount on a sale bike not be cheaper than full price bike with interest free loan?

Exactly what I was thinking. Especially with interest rates so low.

COZZY
    Free Member

Barclays have like 22.5%………..interest crazy……..

mboy
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new bike in the January sales on interest free…

Bike trade doesn’t really work like that… NOW is the time to get the best deals from bricks and mortar shops, as all the 2016 stuff has either arrived or is imminent, and there’s still some 2015 bikes on the shop floors. By January they’ll all be gone!

Thinking of the Whyte T130 ?

You won’t go far wrong there… They’re a fantastic bike, even better this year as the S model at your price point has now gone 1×11 too…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Try sainsbury should be better, problem with personal loan is you can probably borrow 10k at 3.5% but 2.2k is not a great number for finance companies. That’s why v12 is actually pretty good!

RustyNissanPrairie

I got a Santander credit card with 0% for 18months on purchases then bought a £1600 Jekyll from Pauls cycles. Am looking to sell my old bike and pay a chunk off it, the rest is spread over 18 months.

marcfoy89
    Free Member

MTB monster are selling lappiere Zesty 527 just over £2k ATM a grand off serious bike for the money!!

scuttler

Bird Aeris.

Second the use of a new (not to be used elsewhere) interest-free credit card to avoid limiting your options.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why do you have to wait until January if you’re getting interest free credit anyway?

slimjim78
    Free Member

That’s a lot of bike.. that lefty fork still freaks me out though………… but I’ve never tried one…

Single sided forks and swingarms are good enough for 200kg+ plus motorbikes – they are plenty good for 30kg bicycles.

Dont dilly dally, get the best deals now whilst you can

COZZY
    Free Member

i was only waiting until January as our company allows us to buy back some free holiday sat xmas so this was going to go towards it.

Thanks for all advice. Will look into credit card although the wife will freeeeeaaakkkk the **** out …………

COZZY
    Free Member

the Whyte T130 has the 1 x 11 mboy… never rode 1 x 11 – doesn’t this run out of gears on the flats and downhill ? – it just looks like it would ?? (is it good in all gear options also for chain angle ? – im an old shool triple warrior currently sorry on an old 2007 fsr)

leftyboy
    Free Member

T-130 Works rider here and love it. The only issues I have with the 1×11 are the lowish top gear (solved with an oval 34t ring) and the high replacement cost of the transmission. I’ve done ~900 miles on one cassette and am on my 2nd chain.

Overall I’d not want to ride anything without 1×11 as it works superbly and is simple to maintain.

HTH

COZZY
    Free Member

Cheers leftyboy

dezza53
    Free Member

Check out my ad, specialized stumpjumper Carbon, 1x 11, top spec, little used, open to offers.

tony24
    Free Member

how about a whyte m109s with carbon wheels keep £1000 in your pocket 😆

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whyte-m109s-carbon-wheels-very-good-condition-last-chance-1100

mboy
    Free Member

never rode 1 x 11 – doesn’t this run out of gears on the flats and downhill ?

Yes/no/maybe. It’s highly subjective.

Running a SRAM 10-42 cassette you get a 420% gear range, you then just pick your chainring size to prioritise whether you have a super low crawler gear, or retain some top speed. My first proper MTB, a 1990 Marin Muirwoods, had a triple chainset (28/38/48) and a 12-28 cassette, which equates to a 400% range. So a modern 1×11 setup has a wider range than an old school 3×7…

There’s plenty of people out there that have been running 1×10 with an 11-36 (327% range), or even 1×9 with an 11-32 (291% range) happily for years too. Hell, some people even ride Singlespeeds!

The point is, only you can decide. Last time I had a triple, I only used the 11/13/15 cogs whilst on the big ring when I was on road, pointing downhill. A situation where I’ll happily freewheel to be fair. So I’ve got a 30T ring with the 10-42 cassette on my 29er, which gives me a usefully low winching gear (though at times I’ve wished for a 28T on some steeper climbs) and a top gear that’s still totally redundant off-road anyway.

goldenwonder
    Free Member
    Bregante

I’m amazed how so many of you sellers are offering interest free credit! 😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m amazed how so many of you sellers are offering interest free credit!

Not a problem, 99% deposit & the balance in 6 months time. 😉

COZZY
    Free Member

Goldenwonder I’m interested in your cube.
    Send me an email on kevin.collins@diamond.ac.uk
    As I can’t see your e mail.
    Cheers

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What full suss trail bike – max £2200 ?’ is closed to new replies.