• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by davo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What full sus?
  • muggomagic

Currently looking at getting a new bike to replace my tired and abused 5 spot.
    Looking at the bikes mentioned below, do any of you have any opinions/experience of these or some that I might not have thought of?
    I have around £2.5k to spend.

Lapierre Zesty 514 – Looks like a great spec for the money compared to the others. Waiting for Evans to get some stock in so I can take a test ride.

Cannondale Rush carbon 3 – Looks to be VFM. Have ridden one and thought it was a great climber, seemed to lack something on the decents compared to the 5 spot (then most probably will)

Orange 5 pro – Not sure about the looks, test riding one next week.

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon – Bit more than I wanted to spend. Not sure about the own brand shock and the brain.

Oh and I’ve been told time and again to refurb the turner, but until I’ve ridden the ones above and any others suggested then this yearning for a new bike won’t go. I may ride them all and hate them or I might just click with another.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve got an Orange five and I love it. Sometimes people have doubts about spending that sort of money on a single pivot when there are all those elaborate suspension systems on other bikes. However, I think the balance and poise of the bike are so much more important and 5 is spot on.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Dirt said you need a short stem on the Rush IIRC.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Lapierre Zesty 514 – is a great bike and it’s baby brother the 314 has just been awarded bike of the year RUNNER UP by What Mountain Bike (This month)

Cannondale Rush carbon 3 – as you said is a great climber but it loses all of it’s feel when you are making a decent.

Have you considered the Trek EX9 or Giant Anthem X1 (Bike of the Year)

muggomagic

Did look at the Trance X1, might see if I can get a go on one. Think the anthem is a bit too XC orientated with the SID fork etc.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The Trek is awesome!

metalheart
    Free Member

X1 definitely xc orientated.

Would have thought the Trance X(2) was more what you were after, no?

Are Merlin still doing their stupid crazy deals on Commencals at the moment? A 5. something would seem to fit the bill. If they got your size they are £500+ off IIRC… (just looked at 5.5.1 which is £1750, ~£700 off!)

twohats
    Free Member

Dirt said you need a short stem on the Rush IIRC.

Dirt say you need a short stem on every bike they test!

Maybe they should actually try riding some distance and hours on those short stemmed bikes…

Hairychested
    Free Member

You see, I did what they suggested with my Prophet and it’s a nicer bike now. Maybe they know about riding downhill?

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

How about a Chumba XCL or VF2? We can build full bikes of either frame for your budget. Also, depending where you are we have a couple of dealer demo bikes. The XCL frame is on special offer at the moment too!

XCL

VF2

muggomagic

What do you reckon on the trek remedy 8?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I just rode the stumpy elite at set 2 rise, and it was excellent – it doens’t have the brain shock, so is quite conventional, but it’s a fantastic ride. fast, sooo controlled, I loved it – I’ve got to give it back to work this week, but really don’t want to!

thefallguy
    Free Member

I’ve got a stumpy and absolutely love it, but we are all different and the only way to find out what suits you re geometry, ride handling weight size travel etc is to demo some bikes. It might cost £45 a day to demo a bike but if you’re spending a couple of grand it makes some sense.

coogan
    Free Member

Have had a 5 spot for over 4 years and its still going strong. Its dented, battered, scuffed and seen it all. And I’d still take it over all the bikes you’ve mentioned. Fabulous bike. Just give it a little TLC.

theotherjonv

Trek Fuel Ex

In the shortlist for bike of the year acc to WMTB for the second year running. Have had mine 4 months now and it is fantastic. Great looking bike too

muggomagic

Think I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the Trek EX9 and the Remedy 8.
    I prefer the look and feel of the remedy, but not sure about it’s suitability for all day rides? How does the Remedy feel after 40 plus miles of ups and downs?

davo
    Free Member

i had a 2008 trek ex9 and hated it. it was OK for covering big miles on fire roads and none tech bridleways. point it downhill over small drop-offs the rear tyre would bottom out on the frame. no mud clearance with 2.3 tyres on, and before anyone says why did i buy it then, it was a warranty replacement for my old trek liquid. i now have a 2009 orange 5 which if the best bike i have ever owned. it rides light climbs better than anything i have tested before and i have tested a 5 spot. the travel feels bottomless on downhill. get a test ride now!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What full sus?’ is closed to new replies.