Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What full face lid for a small head….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Looking for a new full face lid for our alps trip. I normally wear a small or x small helmet, small feature and xs salomon ski helmet.

I seem to have a pin head, but my jaws seem a touch less tiny, so full face helmets in xs that seem to fit my head are a little tight around the jaw. Is this normal?

So far the bluegrass one I had fits my head, squashed cheeks though. 661 comp xs seems ok, but would prefer something a little ‘better’!? 661 evo carbon xs ok on my head, but again, squashed cheeks.

I know I need to just try them, but nowhere near me sells them and it’s a pain to keep sending them back. Not many people wear my size, so not had luck trying friends lids.

Anyone got any tips?

Simone

MSP

On my troy lee helmet instructions, it say that the cheek pads should compress by about 1/3 for a good fit, and that if you start to lift the helmet off you should be able to feel the skin of your scalp lifting slightly before the helmet slips off. So I do think they are meant to be tighter than many people expect.

Also the more expensive helmets tend to have alternative thickness cheekpads available, you could check for the helmets you fancy.

The TLD helmets do seem to have more size bands than most other manufacturers, and have class leading protection, but there is a weight penalty for that protection.

Tracey

I had the same problem and finished up after trying loads with a small Specialized Deviant carbon. Ideal for the days I need it in the Alps

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Sounds like I have a similar sized pin head. I have bluegrass, oneal, kali and 661 in xs. As long as the helmet isn’t major tight on your head I wouldn’t worry too much about squashed cheeks 😉

Speeder

TLD D2 – who cares about the fit, it’s how it looks that matters. ;o)

HTH

moniex
    Free Member

To be honest, don’t want to spend a huge amount as there is 4 of us and I only use it once or twice a year, just want something that fits well. Not really want to go over £100.

Had a spesh deviant, quite liked it but the retainer at the back was rubbish and hurt a bit.

Any you know of the have different sized cheek pads? The 661 carbon fits great on my head, but not just squashed cheeks but hurts my jaw (unless I don’t close my mouth when wearing it).

Simone

Rscott
    Free Member

I emailed you from the email in your profile.

mikey74
    Free Member

My Bell Transfer 9 is perfect for my small head, small.

chakaping
    Free Member

Try the urge down-o-matic in s/m.

The large one is more of a medium really so the smaller helmet must be really small.

JoeG
    Free Member

moniex
    Free Member

Tried the urge in s/m, my husband has one, far too big. Bluegrass xs best so far. Tempted to try xs troy lee and get some thinner cheek pads, not too keen on the price.

Anywhere that has a few to try on, I am in norwich. It’s a pain to keep sending them back.

Thanks so far for the suggestions.

Simone

senick
    Free Member

microcephaly ?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

my 661 comp is pretty tight, esp around the jaw and i feel this is a good thing. never been an issue whilst in use. Just a little bit harder to remove. I wouldn’t be happy if there was any movement personally tbh.

I tried the next size up too and was confident this design suited me after trying loads of other types on in the correct sizes. Although the next size 661 comp felt a little better off the bike, it was actually too big really.

During use, The foam may have moulded / compacted slightly too which I guess may be more effective if a little tight in the first place, rather than not very tight initially, then adjusting and maybe getting even looser. Just IMHO.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

also tried 661’s higher up the range but settled for lower one as it just felt a more suitable ( snug ) fit.

In my experience ( which prolly differs to others) non xc type helmets often feel a little on the tight side when off the bike anyway and when correctly fitting and when the straps are adjusted correctly etc. As long as it is not actually uncomfortable, just very snug, i personally find in application helmet is usually spot on.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

bell sanction.. smallest FF there is as far as I know

moniex
    Free Member

Thanks guys, tuns out I had one of the first deviants in the past (a 2006 helmet), so went to my lbs to ask about the deviant II after Tracey’s recommendation. Ordered in the last one in a small and it will cost me just under £50 :0)

Fingers crossed it will fit, if not my 11 year old who has a slightly larger head will have a new helmet.

Cheers guys!

Otherwise perhaps a bell one….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What full face lid for a small head….’ is closed to new replies.