• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What FSA headset should I be buying?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I’m looking for a reasonably priced (standard) headset and want to go for FSA because they have a fairly positive reputation, plus the rest of my finishing kit is also FSA :-). There are a lot of models, but the FSA website gives SFA information about them.

What headset should I be looking at for MTB use – ideally it would have decent bearings, decent seals and not be too expensive.

So far I have seen the following reasonably priced FSA headsets:

Orbit Xtreme Pro
    The Pig Ball-Bearing
    Sky Pilot
    Xtreme Cartridge
    The Pig DH Pro
    XLII
    Orbit MX
    Orbit X

I mean, WTF are there so many?!

clubber
    Free Member

Orbit XL2 – can be got for £20ish and mine seem to be pretty much bombproof.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Xl2- excellent product

brassneck

XL2, not touched one for 4 years, still fine, replace a bearig for £7 on the other after 6 years – only changed the bottom one, back to out of the box smoothness.

MRanger156
    Free Member

As above – Merlin Cycles have them for about £22.

aldomac
    Free Member

Orbit Xtreme Pro, the dogs danglies! Used on 3 bikes over 3 years and no problems.

mboy
    Free Member

Orbit Extreme Pro

£90RRP

Under £20 if you're savvy and buy on ebay! Seriously! 😀

Coleman
    Free Member

Defo XLII – great value for money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

avoid anything thats too good to be true, you wouldnt beleive it but there are fake headsets about (or possibly OEM ones and overly dramatic distributors).

Either way my S8 with stainless steel bearings and extra seals had corroded and siezed withign 3 months.

Replaced with FSA MX based purely on its looks, I've got the catalogue for the FSA/Cane Creek/TH Industries factory somewhere, most of them are just a different combinations of bearing/cup/race/seal.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

XL 2 every time. Got them on three of my bikes, they're reasonably cheap, tough and do the job. They also seem pretty easy to install. I've had one fitted to one of my bikes for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it. I've been tempted to buy more expensive head sets but can never quite bring myself to do so when I know an XL 2 will do the job just as well.

alanf
    Free Member

Picked up an extreme pro on ebay for 25 quid last week.
    Not ridden it yet but the write ups are glowing!

sv

Second the 'too good to be true' purchase. Bought an 'S8' and the bearings moved around in their cups and yes they rusted too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What FSA headset should I be buying?’ is closed to new replies.