Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What frying pan
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

Looking for a new frying pan for an induction hob….. disapointed with peeling teflon that loses it’s non stick …. any ideas?

whitestone
    Free Member

We’ve got Le Crueset. The non-stick seems to be in place after several years now.

cranberry
    Free Member

^^ That.

rone

I was less than impressed with our Le Crueset (NS) set, and even less impressed with their customer service. Everyone has different stories etc.

Swiss Diamond or Gastrogus. There is another brand that is good too, memory fails.

Neither are cheap etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mine were hand delivered by an artisan start up in the middle of Dartmoor. They’re so much better than anyone else’s.

(Le Creuset, really.)

cranberry
    Free Member

Mine were hand delivered by an artisan start up in the middle of Dartmoor

Mine were hand delivered by an artisan start up in the middle of Dartmoor AND they listen to a new band your frying pan hasn’t heard of… so, Naaaaahhhh.

🙂

rone

Does he operate from a stone shack in all weathers? Cash only? Open from 1-2pm?

matt_outandabout

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Woll titanium novo.
    Been using them for more than 5 years, they’re not as new, but still in good shape.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

they listen to a new band your frying pan hasn’t heard of… so, Naaaaahhhh.

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

So which one of these will allow you to scramble eggs directly in the pan without sticking like shit to a blanket?

rossburton
    Free Member

We’ve a set including http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-classic-nonstick-frying-pan-28cm/p230720385, in which I scramble eggs directly in and washing afterwards takes seconds with zero effort.

(edit: link to the non-stick pan!)

molgrips
    Free Member

… and will last more than 5 or so years?

z1ppy

“disapointed with peeling teflon that loses it’s non stick …. any ideas?”

You heating your pan too much… it’s not teflon’s fault… don’t use teflon above 260 °C (500 °F) as it begins to deteriorate, and it decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F)

I read this while looking for our last frying pan, and our latest (generic) telfon frying pan has lasted well ever since, as I don’t overheat it.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s not teflon’s fault… don’t use teflon above 260 °C

So.. should I be sure to use my infra-red thermometer at all times when making breakfast?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a Berndes one that cost me about 90 quid, and lasted 7 years maybe? On it’s last legs now, I’m gonna buy cheap and replace regularly now.

hot_fiat

Do LeCruset do an aga- rayburn STWCurrentHandWhittledStoveOfChoice-mounted crane yet?

dyna-ti

The company Vogue is in use in near every professional kitchen in the land.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/pan-Frying-Pans/q01a5702.q60.1/Search.raction

Try here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My leCreuset pan has been shite from day one, only use it for pan roasting meat now.

z1ppy

it’s not teflon’s fault… don’t use teflon above 260 °C
    So.. should I be sure to use my infra-red thermometer at all times when making breakfast?

by all means, but either way, stop whining when you’ve ruined your own pan.

llama

Get 2:
    1. the cheapest non-stick you can live with – for stuff that really sticks
    2. a cast iron one and keep it seasoned – for everything else

welshfarmer

Feeling flush? Get yourself a Turk pan, hand forged from a single lump of carbon steel. My German Bro in Law is a top chef and he bought us one of these as a pressie as it is apparently the best (German) you can get and the favourite in the gastronomy industry. And it really is a fantastic bit of kit. Reckon it would survive a nuclear attack too 🙂

http://www.turk-metall.de/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=77&category_id=18&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&lang=en

Not easy to find an online seller but found this one and to be fair the prices seem pretty reasonable for the quality of product you get. We have the 24cm one.

http://www.cookplanet.com/manufacturers/pans-turk-iron-pans/hand-forged-pans.html

mattbee

We’ve got a gert big copper one. No idea what make but it’s about 15 years old & stuff doesn’t stick to it. Generally just wipe it out with a bit if kitchen roll while it’s hot as opposed to actually washing it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best pan I have by far is a big bastard heavy cast iron skillet, that has been seasoned over the years, and is now pretty much non stick.

Cost me about a tenner from the local hardware shop.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a £20 cast iron frying pan. A bit around the sides is very nicely seasoned, but not the rest of it. Stuff sticks badly to it, then it needs scrubbing off, and then it’s not so seasoned any more somehow.

Tried all the advice on seasoning it. Best thing seems to be fry loads of sausages and nothing else.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I got an expensive one from Procook it was crap got a cheep one like £14 from Aldi so far its been great.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Since Teflon is the solid version of a chlorofluorocarbon, the thermal breakdown products are not exactly great.

Learn to cook properly and buy stainless. No dietary copper or aluminium, they take a good scrubbing if you do burn them, don’t need seasoning and after 20 years, my set of Stellars, whilst not looking new are still in great shape. By contrast, the mother in law has been through 3 sets of fancy pans in the same time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scrambled eggs though – that’s the nemesis of pans. Stainless not so good for that.

mogrim

Scrambled eggs though – that’s the nemesis of pans. Stainless not so good for that.

Yeah, but that’s what the microwave’s for 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Nooo.

My wife introduced me to fried scrambled eggs. In her family home they crack the eggs straight into the pan and stir it all up til it’s started to get a bit fried. Then the cheese goes on top as it sits to melt. Their pan though is a 70 year old cast iron one that never seems to stick.

I like to add the cheese and fry some more as I love fried cheese. But the only way I can get the eggs not to stick is to beat the eggs first then float them on top of an oil film and let the bottom half cook for a bit, omlette style – then start mashing it up. Which takes longer and generates more washing up of course.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Granted eggs are the stickiest, but I refer you to my comments about learning to cook. Scrambled eggs don’t need high heat, which is what makes them stick/burn.

molgrips
    Free Member

I refer you to my comments about learning to cook

There are much less insulting ways to make that point!

In the pans I’ve used, sticking does not seem related to heat. The oil film is crucial to success, because the eggs will stick to bare metal no matter what.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Apologies, it’s not my intention to offend. I’m a fairly plain and undiplomatic type. Sometimes I forget to apply my people filter to what I say and write.

lardcore
    Free Member

For frying eggs (scrambled or otherwise) i tend to use a cheap ceramic non-stick pan (from TK Maxx, where else?) which has a slightly grooved surface, a bit like old vinyl records. It’s surprisingly easy to clean.

The rest of all my cooking can be done in a carbon steel wok and a cast iron pan, with the exception of sour things like tomatoes that cast iron isn’t good for (food acquires a metallic taste). If I had a good stainless steel pan I could definitely skip the non-stick one.

petec
    Free Member

we have one of these. No stick, bung it in the oven, no manky bits of Teflon, clean with a scourer if need be (although normally just a quick wipe round works)

ransos
    Free Member

Scrambled eggs don’t need high heat, which is what makes them stick/burn.

Is the correct answer.

A good helping of butter, a very low heat, and regular stirring makes delicious scrambled eggs, that don’t stick even when using a standard, non-coated steel pan.

deadkenny
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member 
    don’t use teflon above 260 °C (500 °F) as it begins to deteriorate, and it decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F)

It’s also carcinogenic. Once it starts to deteriorate, I wouldn’t use it. Personally I’ve gone off Teflon cookware entirely due to the risks. Concerned me about exotic bird deaths from overheated Teflon cookware. The vapour that comes off from PTFE is lethal to them. While not instantly lethal to humans, given PTFE is a carcinogen, I wouldn’t cook with the stuff now.

Personally, good quality heavy ceramic pans. Not known to be toxic. Can get it up to higher heat safely than Teflon. Not so non stick, but with care you can avoid sticking (not so hot!) and cleans off easy anyway.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Totally agree with deadKenny. It’s easy to exclude it, so why wouldn’t you?

Cougar

It’s also carcinogenic.

No it isn’t. A chemical used in the process of making it is carcinogenic (it’s another acronym like PTFE, I can’t remember exactly), but that chemical isn’t present in the final product beyond trace levels.

If you’re avoiding it for environmental reasons then that’s fine, if you’re avoiding it because ZOMG TEFLON CAUSES CANCER!!!1! then you’re mistaken.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What frying pan’ is closed to new replies.