Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What front mech for 29er Scandal?
  • the00
    Free Member

I’ve been building up a new slot dropout Scandal 29er – and have tried two different front mechs, but neither fit very well.

The fisrt was a conventional front mech, which would work cos the bottle bosses were in the way.

The 2nd is a compact type deore (M530 I think), which fouls on the tyre in a big way.

I’d prefer to run the rear wheel as forward as possible, any suggestions for a mech that fits quite well?

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

what tyre?

dont have much to add as i haven’t done this to mine yet…

could you move the wheel in the dropouts to get some clearence?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

used a XT conventional on mine fine… but that wasn’t the SD model

riding buddy runs a top swing on his – i’d post a picture of it but fotopic is having issues….

hazeii
    Free Member

SRAM here, albeit on the geared version; as posted frequently a couple of years back, it helps to cut off any unnecessary bits.

I recall filing a bit off the clamp to fit around a bottle boss too.

P.S. that’s a 2.3″ tyre

Stoner
    Free Member

go here:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/northmalvern/ScandalFrontMechAlteration#

this is my photo log of modding a dual pull conventional mech for clearance.

the00
    Free Member

Cheers for the help guys. In the end I managd a very neat bodge to hold the axle back – I’ll maybe get a photo one day.

Essentially it’s an m6 nut at the front of the slot dropout, held in place by a zip tie. One each side makes putting the wheel back in a doddle!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What front mech for 29er Scandal?’ is closed to new replies.