Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What Free Video editing Software?
  • Houns

I'm a total beginner when it comes to this. I used my ContourHD camera for the first time yesterday but the editing software that comes with it is fairly limited (as far as i can see).
    I want something easy to use, all i want to be able to do at this stage is put clips together and whack some music over the top.
    Oh whilst I'm here, what's the general consensus toward hosting websites? YouTube or Vimeo?

Thanks

plumber
    Free Member

windows movie maker

well I like it anyway

nickjb
    Free Member

wmm for me too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

iMovie on the mac is good. I think videos look better on Vimeo personally.

Houns

Hmm i may be doing something wrong, i tried that yesterday and it didn't work. The video files are .MOV Do i need to convert them? (see told you i was new to this!)

_tom_
    Free Member

Windows Movie maker in Vista onwards isn't bad, it's absolutely shite in XP though – so slow!

As for uploading to the web, the best format is h.264 in a .mov shell. I don't know about WMM but when I export from premiere or avid, I choose "quicktime movie" then the codec is h264. Can get screenshots if that'd help at all?

Crell
    Free Member

There's quite a lot of discussion on the Vholdr forum, and the MOV files can be a pain when editing due to the current versions of quicktime and their codecs.

It's not free, but sony vegas (the cheap(er) one) is popular. I have it, but to be honest if all you are going to do is crop the vid then the free software is OK, and that's all I do to my vholdr vids. It's useless at playback though.

For playback have a look at Splash Player lite. Really nice piece of software, low memory and CPU, and lets me just about watch HD on my Ion equiped Netbook (which is no mean feat).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What Free Video editing Software?’ is closed to new replies.