Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What free internet security ?
  • peasant
    Free Member

Norton has just run out, is it worth getting free one before buying.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I use AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall both of which are free. They have kept my computer safe (touch wood). I was very pleased with the recent AVG upgrade as it seems to do things a lot quicker now with less fuss. I expect there are other good free ones but I’ve prefered the above to ones I’ve paid for. I had McAfee once which was total rubbish and it cost me loads.

singletracksurfer

avg is great

Drac

MSE

Avast

And enjoy removing the evil that is Norton.

bobblehat
    Free Member

+1 Avast Antivirus Free Edition

nuke

+ 1 MSE

hilldodger
    Free Member

I used to be one of the ‘aything but Microsoft’ crowd, but just replaced ZA with windows firewall and avast with MSE – laptop boots up quicker and runs faster so well pleased to get rid of the freeware and go with the big M 😉

ratadog

+1 for AVG and Zone alarm
    Looked at microsoft \security essentials for a netbook running Win7 starter and it got shirty and would not load. May have been because it did not like my choice of browser – Chrome. Went back to AVG and Zone alarm and no issues.
    Use Malwarebytes as the malware hunter for regular scans as a double check.

Me, paranoid – no I just have children who will follow and link given half an opportunity.

Best solution has been to abandon Windows and use Ubuntu/SUSE on one computer but unfortunatley that gives certain issues with compatability with work/school.

Cougar

MSE. Just make sure you fully remove Norton first (there’s a tool on Symantec’s website).

You might want to try searching the forum for more info – this question has cropped up weekly for at least as long as I’ve been here, so there’s a fair bit of info to be had.

I just have children who will follow and link given half an opportunity.

That’s what restricted logins are for. You might want to look at OpenDNS too.

Or, y’know, educate your kids or keep them off the Internet. (-:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What free internet security ?’ is closed to new replies.