Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What frame to replace my scandal 29er (ss)
  • DrP

Alas, in cleaning it I’ve discovered the rear triangle is held to the frame at the seat stay by mud and luck…

I ruddy love that frame; cheap, cheerful, fast, and light…
    I’m on the hunt for a direct replacement (v2, medium, any colour!) but failing that, what should I consider?

It’s my xc race bike, bike packing beast, and general go-to bike.

I’d love something super fancy (air9 etc) but alas, I think cost prohibits that!!

Options? I run 80mm rebas – too feeble for rigid…!

DrP

wwaswas

Damn, I still regret selling that frame but I think you got far more use out of it than I ever would have 🙁

Hope you find something suitable as a replacement.

DrP

Refund due? Dodgy goods etc etc 😉

DrP

adsh
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Take a punt at a Chinese frame direct with the 20% off Ebay code that runs until 2200BST tonight?

Clink

Trek Superfly ss frameset. 650 frame and forks – bloody lovely (if you can get one). Great xc geo, light.

sandwicheater

Scandal V2 was one of the only frames I wish i never sold.

No help here OP, sorry.

adsh
    Free Member

^ I considered but some US forum complaints about the dropouts in real life use? Have you got one?

core

I was out on my Scandal last night, v2 large 29er. 16 mile ride, about 10 on road, the rest bridleway/green lane/footpath/common/woods. Set up with 100mm reba, xt 2×10, light(ish) wheels, 2.2 X King’s – what a bike, perfect for that job, fast, handles well, light, ridiculously good for the money, I honestly don’t know what I’d replace the frame with.

There’s usually a Santa Cruz XC 29er frame or two knocking about on classifieds/pinkbike.

The only XC type thing I lust after is a carbon framed lefty equipped Cannondale, but I’d be no faster really, and £2k worse off!

Clink

^ I considered but some US forum complaints about the dropouts in real life use? Have you got one?

Yep, not had any problems. You do need a 22mm (I think) spanner to move dropouts but they are solid. Stache comes with the same dropouts so parts interchangeable .

Clink

The new Ramin coming out has an ebb I think.

goss
    Free Member

Niner Sir9
    in that way you can keep the Rebas.
    my colleague has one and has never been happier(setup with a Lefty/Lauf/Travers Prong fork depending on the mood). I was on the verge to buy a frame myself!
    Niner just changed the colour scheme to gray but you might be able to get a 2015 version in red, green-yellow or white.

DrP

hmmm. nine’undred quid for the SIR9….

Will hunt ebay!

DrP

Gotama
    Free Member

I don’t know what size you are but someone was selling a Curtis xc9 on the classifieds recently if steel is an option.

Edit sorry, forgot about ss bit.

djflexure

There is a medium yeti big top frame on eBay – not that popular but I like mine. I have the ss dropouts – they were an eye-watering purchase

zippykona

Get it fixed?

DrP

i was looking into getting it fixed..it’s not my area of expertise, but seems to be either:complicated and pricey (re-heat treating..??) or easy and doomed to fail…

DrP

Squirrel

When mine broke last year (chainstay worn through by mud on a 2.3 Smorgasbord) I went for an Inbred. It’s OK. Nothing more than that 😕

swanny853

There was a santa cruz highball kicking around here recently- I think the only thing that wouldn’t carry across would be the seatpost. Tensionable dropouts are about 40 quid iirc.

alexpalacefan

Had mine welded by Vernon Barker in Sheffield.
    He reckoned there was no need for heat treating afterwards, and it’s still going strong a year later.

‘Twas only £50 too.

APF

swanny853

This one. If you buy it won’t be tempting to me! Less money and I’d probably already have it.

Droput are here

DrP

i’ve emailed for more pics…..
    Let’s see how the QOF year goes eh..!

DrP

epicyclo

Find another Scandal. Nothing compares IMO.

The only thing better that I’ve found is the Ragley TD-1 and good luck finding one of those.

jordie
    Free Member

I have a Mk 1 Scanny 18″ if you want it not looking for a lot of money at all. It was just to small for me.

Clink

Try a Superfly 🙂

bentudder

I bought my Mk 2 Scandal as a stopgap while waiting for the Highball to come out, and never got round to buying the Santa. One thing that’s made a big impression on me is the forward centre on the Scandal. I have a Whyte 129 as a second bike, and the difference of 15mm in the rear triangle is quite noticable – not something I ever expected to notice, but it’s slightly ruined the Scandal for me, and it was my only mountain bike for over a year, and most definitely a great bike.
    One thing that’s worth noting is that the SC’s top tube is a lot shorter – certainly on the first gen Highballs. That said, a friend has run a Highball for a long time and loves his, and the SS dropout is a thing of beauty.
    Check the geometry charts (I think I have both the Mk2 Scandal and the original Highball somewhere) to make sure you’re getting a like for like.

Clink

Whereas a Superfly has a nice long ett … (I’ll shut up now!). 😀

Superfly ss

bentudder

zomg, Clink. That is a sexy bicycle.

adsh
    Free Member

Just occasionally STW is really, really good. I hadn’t realised how short the Highball was.

The Superfly does look very good – only thing and it’s minor is what BB? PF30?

adsh
    Free Member

double post

Richie
    Free Member

DrP
    I am looking to sell my Niner (SiR9). It’s set up as a SS at the moment but I have the rear mech hangar if you ever wanted to run it 1×9/10. It also has Rebas (dual air) but I also have the Niner rigid forks. Colour – red. Size 17.5 (I’m 183cm/6ft and it fits me like a glove). I agree with Goss (posted 3 days ago), it is the best bike I’ve ever owned but I haven’t used it for 2 years and so is gathering dust in the house which is a crying shame. I raced the 12 hour solo event at Newcastleton in 2012 and it helped me through to a very credible 5th in class (SS). Let me know on here or bell me on 07763 147413 if you want more info. 🙂
    Rich

zerofour
    Free Member

I currently ride a Reynolds 520 tubed Genesis High Latitude 29er singlespeed (was alfine) which I can recommend. My only complaint is the weight. I use it for xc and singletrack but my wheels tend to stay grounded. I am looking to replace it with something of similar geometry and comfort but lighter – yet to find anything though.

Clink

I am looking to replace it with something of similar geometry and comfort but lighter – yet to find anything though.

I’ll say it again – Trek Superfly ss 😆

GregMay
    Free Member

Similar problem faced me a while ago – I ended up on a Salsa El Marachii as I wanted the longer feel of the Scandal. I love it, steel one, but would really love the Ti one to drop some weight off it. Not that it’s too porky TBH.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DZcVDZ]Sunny Salsa[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/D2PSAB]Prepared[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

zerofour
    Free Member

Nice El Mariachi. I was looking at the Ti but it’s out of production – now looking at the Lynskey Ridgeline.

Clink

So DrP, what did you get in the end?

DrP

I got the cracked frame welded up again 🙂
    AND… Found another medium scandal on here, so bought that too… Just realised it’s such a great, good value frame, with a certain ‘je ne sais pas’ to it!

Currently riding the ‘new’ frame as ss (big bike bash) and leant the older one, and some forks, to a mate to also ride here!!!

Can’t keep a good scandal down!!

DrP

nuke

Good to hear 😀

Had my V2 29er from new and, whilst other frames have tempted me (Sonder frames currently causing my eye to wander), i just don’t feel its worth selling the Scandal.

Its the versatility of the frame to match my current cycling preference: had it first in standard 100mm fork XC mode, then went a bit more trail bike (100-130 dual position forks, dropper etc) and now its gone back completely the other way to a sort of 29er cross: fully rigid with 1.75″ tyres and salsa bend 2 bars…loving the speed. Great frames

PJay
    Free Member

If you like On-ONe, how does their Parkwood compare to a Scandal? It seems to be their current aluminium 29er model (there’s a titanium Titus Fireline for £610 which looks pretty swish).

Clink

^ good news! Sorry to miss BBB this year 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What frame to replace my scandal 29er (ss)’ is closed to new replies.