Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What frame to buy advice opinions please
  • kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Hey dudes, basically decided today that im going to buid a new bike . My current trek is full of decent gear , xtr, hope hubs brakes etc etc but it lacks in the travel department! !

So the idea is to buy a frame an switch everthing out from my old bike!

Anyway I want something with atleast 120mm travel on rear but not to downhill orientated as I do alot of xc stuff.. so a nice happy meduim 😉

So if you had a max budget of about £350 (2nd hand ebay) what frame would you go for??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Old Heckler

z1ppy

Prophet.. in true STW fashion, as I own one, even so there ace & very adjustable.
    You can run a shorter i2i shock (190x45mm) for 120mm travel or a longer (200x50mm) one for the full 140mm joyous-ness.
    1.5 headtube means you’ll never be troubled with by sourcing a 1 1/8 fork in the future (seemingly an issue for some now).
    Should be able to pick one up, way within your budget and the two frame shock positions (XC and FR) means you don’t have to run it in the FR/slack position… but please do, it’s so much better that way.

Conan257
    Free Member

Buy my Titus FTM Carbon!

On a serious note, it’s a very nice, lightweight bike with decent travel and upgrade-ability. Well worth the pennies.

chrisdw
    Free Member

stumpjumper!

campkoala
    Free Member

Apparently You need a far larger budget!

I’d surmise that the vast majority of cyclists have an interest in good kit and lust after the bikes the pros ride. Whether or not they choose, or indeed have the means to afford such bikes is largely irrelevant. The whole point of this thread is to discuss the merits of those frames, so it strikes me as a little bit odd for someone that has no experience of carbon would dismiss the opinions of someone that owns and has ridden enough to be able to discuss their relative benefits or shortcomings with some authority.
    But you take 6hrs to ride a trail centre, so you’re clearly a novice.
    At the end of the day, we’re all big kids at heart and we love shiny new stuff. I get a lot of pleasure from knowing I ride a bike that has won, several top level racing events, and I’m not ashamed to admit I get a lot of pride when other cyclists come and ask me about my bike.

if this is the sort of advice to expect here.

Oh.. and apparently I’m gay too.

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

It gona take me all night to look up each frame you have all suggested individually ha ha..

Conan have you got a link to a sale thread??

Was just looking at this on ebay, anyone know what theyre fetching??

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121207687152

Keep the suggestions coming guys 😉

Conan257
    Free Member

I haven’t at the moment, but feel free to email me (check profile) if you’re interested.

Probably a bit naughty of me to mention it on here 😛

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not sure that quoted post is quite right ,
    Don’t think any of the people I know with high end bikes know anything about the pro side of the sport
    Let alone who rides what and for who

Anyway second had I’d say a stumpy there are loads out there so should be able to find a good one

Do you want 26 or 29

kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Will do conan pal, but in all honesty will prob be in a few weeks! Need to do some xmas shopping firat ha ha

Orangeboy- yeah the stumpy seems a good shout my mates got one and its an awesome machine for the $$$ I will be going 26er

Conan257
    Free Member

Works for me, I reckon I’m actually looking to get rid at the end of the month.

chrisdw
    Free Member
    kenztwinturbo
    Free Member

Looks a good frame that an a good price, what travel on rear does the stump run??

chrisdw
    Free Member

120mm I believe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What frame to buy advice opinions please’ is closed to new replies.