Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What frame for wife. Singletrack ladies suggestions?
  • Slacks
    Free Member

I want to build up a bike for my wife to ride. I have some 100mm rebas and a lot of parts to do the build. Just need to decide on a frame. Anyone have any suggestions? If she takes to it we can get something a bit more bling later.

0091paddy
    Free Member

How tall is she?

Slacks
    Free Member

5' 05''

Anyone ride a 456 with 100mm forks?

erny
    Free Member

Orange are making a Diva hardtail

Slacks
    Free Member

Orange don't seem to do frame only for the diva.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry but do you mean 5'5"? Does your wife ride regularly or is this a first bike for her? What sort of riding will she be doing?

Slacks
    Free Member

Sorry, yes its 5'5''. She doesn't ride at all at the moment (except her horse everyday). She used to ride alot when we lived in london. On a town bike. A sit up and beg thing.

I'll take her to do some bridal way bashing locally with some bits of singletrack linked in. Nothing too technical at first.

cinnamon_girl

If your wife is 5'5", that is my height too. I used to have a 16" 456 and whilst I have very long arms and long legs, I was far too stretched out so it had to go.

I have a soft spot for steel and so would suggest a Rock Lobster. Also there is a 16" Genesis steel frame for sale which I was very tempted with. Check the Classifieds, it is being sold by 'kinger' and he will happily supply you with pics. That will take a 100mm fork. There seems to be lots of happy Genesis owners on here and it got very good reviews in the bike mags.

Alternatively how about a 14" Inbred? I have an 853 singlespeed with a massive amount of seat post showing, it fits me fine.

Slacks
    Free Member

Cheer C Girl. I have a genesis frame which i really like. Wasn't sure the 16 inch would be small enough.

I think the 14 inch inbred will be favourite for the moment. Out of stock currently so will still keep an eye out for options.

cinnamon_girl

I had checked the geometry on the Genesis and it was fine for me. To be honest, i think second-hand is the way to go as you will obviously get better for your money.

I shall stick my neck out here and say that I have had quite a few frames over the years and would not go back to aluminium for a hardtail. Steel is far more comfy and you will feel less beaten up at the end of a ride. Let the arguing commence!!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Keep a eye on this guy on eBay, sells old Halfords stock. Sells frames for £25:
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/motov8-charity/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Picked my wife up a 16" new Carrera Vulcan frame, came out fairly light:

CheesybeanZ

Mrs beanz is 5'2 and rides a 14' 456 summer and a 14' mans orange 5 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What frame for wife. Singletrack ladies suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.