Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What frame and forks for the Lakes
  • brooess
    Free Member

Moved up North recently and as much as I love my 2004 Orange Five it’s pretty battered and I fancy something with a little more travel for the rocky stuff up here – I ride Lakes, Peaks and North Wales now.

The Five only has 130mm at the back and 140mm at the front. I like riding up as well as down so don’t want some downhill beast, prob something with 150mm F&R.

I’ll be moving all the bits across from the Five.

Alternatively, since I’ve just bought a new road bike and am supposed to be saving money to buy a house, would a Fox shock make that much difference? I have a Manitou Swinger on there right now…

Any thoughts?

allthegear
    Free Member

I have a Nicolai Helius CC. I think it’s perfect for the Lakes; just enough travel to make it fast & fun but not too much to make it easy.

Trouble is, it’s 140mm front and 130mm at the back…

Rachel

boxelder

Stick with the 5 for the moment. Unless you get something light, you’ll regret having to haul a big bike up the hills.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

New shock, respray and a few new bits,

The Five is a great frame for up here. I loved mine when I lived in the Lakes. Very hard to beat. I ran fox float 32 then talas 36 up front and a Rp23 Pro Pedal rear. 36/22 front chainrings.

Give it a new lease of life.

Pieface

There’s so much variety of riding in all those areas there’s no one ideal bike.

Stick with what you’ve got until you’ve made your mind up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What frame and forks for the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.