• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by poah.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What forks to replace/upgrade Fox 32's?
  • dirkpitt74

Hi all, currently got some 140 travel Fox 32’s on my recently built Nukeproof Mega TR 26’er.

I got these as they were cheap at the time.

Thing is I could probably do with something a bit more substantial as all my mates laugh at me for having weedy XC forks (not strictly true as I have no mates….) but they do chatter a bit (the forks that is…).

Budget is probably Max £200 and will be used, so what could I upgrade to?

Thinking something min 34mm and and 140 – 160 travel. Have heard good things about the X-Fusion Slant or should I just get some Fox 34’s?
    Would love a set of Pikes but don’t have the budget.

Thanks

Chris

gerti
    Free Member

I got a set of second hand (ex-demo) RCT 3 Pikes for £199, so it is possible…

gerti
    Free Member

Just spotted your username, a set of Pikes for £200 shouldn’t be a problem for Dirk Pitt 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirkpitt74

Haha cheers Gerti – I’ll confess to being a massive Clive Cussler fan, ex-diver and an Engineer.

I must look in all the wrong places for parts. Like the £50 deore brake set that everyone seems to get lol.

Northwind

TBH just about anything is stiffer than a long travel 32- it’s an XC fork stretched way too far. So you’re starting from a pretty low benchmark and even a Revelation or similiar would be a noticably upgrade, but still, if you want stiff it’ll be worth goign as stiff as you can I reckon

How brawny do you want to go? Mega can wear an old-model Lyrik well, and they’re ridiculously good value now, but it’s a big, hefty fork. I sold my last coil-sprung set for £200 IIRC, and I’d sooner have those than the latest Pikes tbf! They were awesome.

34s are tricky tbh. The early ones weren’t all that good and there’s some from the period of terrible divey CTD dampers (or rather damper setup). I don’t know how to tell the good from bad, I had a 2014 entry level 34 for a bit and it was perfectly decent tbh.

dirkpitt74

My 32’s are 2014 and the CTD damper isn’t too bad. So if I could get some similar age 34’s it wouldn’t be too bad.

How do the dual air Rev’s stack up?

Northwind

I like em, I had a ’10 Team in my ragley basically forever, I had it tweaked to perfection. But tbh on a mega, if you’re thinking “this fork isn’t stiff enough”, you probably want a bit more. And thing is, with the 34/35mm chassis stuff being so light now, the older Rev chassis looks a bit weighty for what it is. (I coiled my Teams at one point and I’m pretty sure they were heavier than my 36s!)

Daffy

My 34s are noticeably stiffer than the shorter 32s that I have on the other bike. Both 29ers.

dirkpitt74

Just spotted a set of bnib 150 world cup Revs with carbon steerer/crown for £300….

Not sure about the carbon steerer though.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Think the new improved 34’s were the 2015 model, they weren’t available yet when i got my spectral in 2014

nairnster
    Free Member

Revelations are 32mm as well though.

poah
    Free Member

save more money

Bucko

I also got a set of used Pike 160 RCT3 for £200 about 6 months ago, so much better than the Fox 32 they replaced. Keep your eyes open mate

mickmcd
    Free Member

If you want deore brakes go 50 notes I have some that came off a bike unused other than being built up

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Maybe some X Fusion Slants? Marzocchi 350s even though they are 650b.

dirkpitt74

Cheers guys.
    Would 650b forks mess with the geo too much?

@mickmcd
    I’ll drop you a message re brakes.

Daffy

650b forks will work fine, it’ll raise the BB a little, but slacken the head angle.

I used 650b forks on my 26″Mojo SLR.

Northwind

nairnster – Member

Revelations are 32mm as well though.

They are, but in stiffness terms closer to the original 34 than a 32. It’s not what I’d pick here but it’d be an improvement.

dirkpitt74

Sorry to bump this again.

Noticed CRC have some Manitou Mattoc Comp’s for £280 – so £250 including my BC discount.

The spec is wrong as it’s the MARS+ and only have Air, Low Speed Compression and Rebound adjustments.

Would these be an improvement over the Fox’s? Can’t seem to find any reviews of the Comp only the Pro’s.

Euro
    Free Member

When you say your 32’s chatter, what do you mean? I had a set (150mm) and thought they were terrible forks. They chattered too but they also flexed and twanged. The chatter was down to me setting them firm enough to not bottom out everywhere. They would bonce off every small lump in the trail but worked ok-ish on bigger stuff – apart for the flex and twang! Saved up for a set of Pikes and all was good.

No personal experience of the Manitous but they look alright and would be an improvement i’m sure. Second hand xfusion would be a good shout if funds are tight. Or save for a bit and open more options?

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of X-fusion forks, they feel super plush and well controlled. I’d defo buy again.

That said I like Pikes too and as others have said you can find a pair for £200 if you wait around

poah
    Free Member

Noticed CRC have some Manitou Mattoc Comp’s for £280 – so £250 including my BC discount.

The spec is wrong as it’s the MARS+ and only have Air, Low Speed Compression and Rebound adjustments.

Thats the correct spec for the comp’s, only the expert and pro get the dorrado air spring and the Adjustable HBO, LSC & HSC.

The lowers are straight not butted as well which is why they are so cheap. Really the pro/expert are the ones you want but the stiffness of the mattoc over the 32’s will be a lot better.

mulacs

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/marzocchi-55-cr-forks-20mm-2016/rp-prod128501

Marzocchi 55CR – a bit over budget but in the clearance sale so more off there and then more off with BC…. An absolute bargain if you ask me. Can be spaces down internally to 150 .
    I’d have bought these if I haven’t got some pikes on eBay recently, 245£ for mint 26 150 rct3’s…

Will have some150 RL Revs coming up shortly but I think they’ll not be what you’re after…

dirkpitt74

Never noticed the Marzocchi on CRC – they’re 170 travel though.
    Can they be reduced to 150?
    Bargain as they’ll be around £240 after discount…..

jkomo

I’ve got the mattock pro on that frame in 275 flavour. They are amazing, but have got so much adjustment, I have no idea what to do, I just twiddle around until I like it. The Comp has less adjustability, so should be fine. Esp. If it is the Dorado inners.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got the mattock pro on that frame in 275 flavour. They are amazing, but have got so much adjustment, I have no idea what to do, I just twiddle around until I like it. The Comp has less adjustability, so should be fine. Esp. If it is the Dorado inners.

The Comp at CRC don’t have the Dorado Air spring – it’s the previous MARS+.

Currently looking at the Marzocchi’s mentioned above.

mulacs

Marzocchi can be spaced down internally from 170 to 150 simply by adding a spacer to the internals, as can be seen here.
    Looks quite simple.

dirkpitt74

Thanks for all the help and advice chaps.
    Picked up a set of nearly new x-fusion sweeps on pb.

Will see how they compare to the current Fox’s.

Not sure whether to leave them at 160 or drop them to 140 to match current set up.

poah
    Free Member

drop them

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What forks to replace/upgrade Fox 32's?’ is closed to new replies.