Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What Forks? (Light Freeride)
  • Steveo

I’m a couple of years out of date with what forks are available these days.
    I’m looking for a pair of light single crown forks that have about 7″ (170-180mm) of travel.
    I also want them to have on-the-fly height reduction adjustability like Marz old ETA or the Fox Talas systems.
    I currently have a pair of 07 Talas and although they are ok, I was wondering if there was anything better out there.
    Looking to build that mythical ‘one bike does all’.
    Thanks

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Coil totems are the king of the hill for long travel single crowns. Don’t think there is a travel adjust version of them though.

sofatester
    Free Member

When you say “light Freeride” you mean cross country with cake stops don’t you?

Steveo

I meant light as in weight. I will want to feel confident riding the fork off reasonably high drops / jumps, say in the region of 7′. I want to use this bike for everything I do, which does include some trail riding but mostly jumps, shore, dh and general fr.

sofatester
    Free Member

But still, there must be room for some cake in all that hardcore stoke inducing radness? 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zocchi Z1 freeride lites would seem to to fit the bill for light freeride

shinsplints

“Light” freeride as opposed to “Dark” freeride which you do at night.With lights.Which is kind of ironic.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

moon on a stick i reckon

everyone I know who has tried light forks for some of the more hefty riding has ended up breaking them. freeride requires springs, big heavy ones and not too much fancy gubbins. totem coil probably about as light as you’ll get

66 RC2 ETA probably is the only one i can think of with coil+travel adjust

mikey74
    Free Member

I guess Fox 36 Talas are the best light adjustable ones at the moment, although I have coil u-turn Lyriks and love them.

Steveo

yeah, thought it might have been a bit ‘moon on a stick’ but I was just hoping.
    Saves me a few quid at least.
    Cheers

simonm
    Free Member

you need to buy my Talas 36s Steveo 🙂

walleater

You can do 7ft drops on a rigid fork with the right tranny. Totems / 66s would be overkill unless you are hitting rough DH runs.

If what you want is a fork that will be not too OTT for long XC rides but stiff / strong enough for a trip to Chicksands or the like I’d stick with a Lyrik or 36. I’m living in the sickest, largest E-pen!s waving biking area in the world and only have a Pike this year.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

what Walleater said. except I’d look at an ’09 Marzocchi 55 too – apparently they’ve managed to sort out their problems…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah but walleaters real name is wallflower

walleater

LOL…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What Forks? (Light Freeride)’ is closed to new replies.