Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What forks do I need?
  • porcaro
    Free Member

Building up a bike from scratch, I have a MTB frame, it’s a Merida carbon race frame and need forks, I ride trails and some on road as well. What do you recommend, budget £150 for a good used set. And what size do I need?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Same size as the frame.

wwaswas

80 or 100mm would probably be what the frame’s designed for if it’s a race model but worth checking – some newer ones may be 120mm

RS Reba’s or SIDs or some Fox F100’s would be a reasonable choice.

getting something light and with some compression damping control or a lockout for road riding.

you need to work out stack height of headset+ stem+ headtube + a few spacers if buying second hand to make sure the fork will fit the frame.

z1ppy

RS Reba’s or SIDs or some Fox F100’s* would be a reasonable choice.

getting something light and with some compression damping control or a lockout for road riding.

+1 Reba and (new) SID’s can be had from the classified for that amount of mone.

*Purely a personnal choice, I just wouldn’t waste my money on em.

porcaro
    Free Member

Forgot to say I will be using XTR V-Brakes on bike so forks need to accomodate those. Must admit I am confused by the sizes and what they mean. How do I know wether to get 80, 100, or 120mm? Should I base this on the size of the frame headtube?

z1ppy

XTR V-Brake?

Errr older Reba’s then… (not sure new SID came with V mounts and newer Reba’s definitely don’t)

How do I know wether to get 80, 100, or 120mm?

Look at the manufacturers website, as to what it orignally came fitted with. Though you usually can get away with 80-120mm on a short travel (XC) frame, unless it has very steep angle.

Should I base this on the size of the frame headtube?

Nope, but this, your headset, stem & spacers will make up the minimum steerer length on the fork you’ll need to buy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll want to stick to 100mm on that frame (ive got one)

its too steep with 80mm and its too slack with 120.

does the frame have V brake mounts …. mine doesnt !

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d say something like a Reba Team with V-brake bosses

porcaro
    Free Member

Yes my frame has v-brake mounts, when does your frame date from trail rat?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What forks do I need?’ is closed to new replies.