Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • what fork travel is the summer season designed around ? and 456 or ss ??
  • firestarter
    Free Member

thinking of one or other of these . what sized forks is the ss designed around and which is best the ss or 456 ??? thinking of a 456 with 140mm forks on

Chase
    Free Member

The initial idea on the summer was to run a shorter fork however most people seem to run 130/140mm on them. I have 140mm Pikes on mine. It wanders a bit on climbs but really comes into its own going back down.

If you want a play bike then go for the Summer. If you want a regular trail bike that’s not as slack up front go for the regular 456 (4,5 or 6″ fork – hence the name).

The Summer is a bit heavier as the tubes are plain gauge.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers mate. its a tough one as i want a play/trail bike lol

Chase
    Free Member

To be fair then, either will do. Maybe let the colour or price sway your decision instead as there really is very little in it otherwise.
    PS. Mine is a trail bike really with the fun thrown in when it’s needed – I’m 5’11” and went for the 16″ frame for those saddle down moments.

I would imagine most of the old threads on here got lost when the forum died so have a look here…..
    http://singletraction.frankencrank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2444

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Summer is a fun bike, I have 130mm forks and a big stack headset and highrisers (the head tube is quite short). I’m 5’10” and went on recommendation from Chase and others for the 16″ which, for someone who is used to longer top tubes, I haven’t found too short. It looks nice aswell in a natural finish.

firestarter
    Free Member

just realised the link was singletraction lol i went round stainburn the other day . tough course 😉 it was better on the 5spot than my old anthem but what i found odd was it was even better on my mates hardtail 😉 looks like a 456 is the way forward . cheers

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, my hubby’s just got a 456 and he loves it – definitely a one fun bike! Enjoy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘what fork travel is the summer season designed around ? and 456 or ss ??’ is closed to new replies.