• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What fork for SC Blur Classic (2004)
  • phutureproof
    Free Member

I’m contemplating building myself (slowly as I can afford/find suitable bits) a Santa Cruz Blur Classic (2004 ish).

Can anyone recommend a suitable fork? I’ve been looking at a second hand Fox 100 RLC.

Do you think a 4″ travel fork is about right on this frame?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to try it with a 120mm Float.

phutureproof
    Free Member

I can’t find a manual/geometry for this frame – you think 120mm would be ok then?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think I’ve only ever seen them with 100mm forks on so that probably is the safer option. I’ve got a range of forks available and have found with other frames that I sometimes prefer them with a slightly longer fork – e.g. my ’04 Enduro was only meant to use up to 125mm forks but I found it good with 140mm forks on.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Thanks for tips.

chickenman

Head angle is 71deg with a 100mm fork. I’m a naughty boy and run a 110-140mm Revelation on mine. Normally wind it to 110, but ride downhills at the longer setting: Slackens the HA by 2deg; I’ve never worried that I might damage the frame. It’s quite a long headtube and the increase in leverage can’t be that much (mind you I’m 10.5 stone and don’t do jumps/drops of more than about 3 foot).

Weasel
    Free Member

Got a SID Race on mine, but for general XC riding it’s fine.

aP
    Free Member

When I had my classic Blur, I started with pace 100mm forks in 2003 which obviously stopped working as soon as I went riding in the rain, changed to 100mm marzocchi marathon which were good, then a year later went to 120mm marzocchi marathons as the 100mm went onto my ss to replace the pace forks which were too unreliable – the 120s suited it really well. It was only when I wore through the rear chainstay in 2008 that I finally changed to a Spider FRO (which TBH hasn’t really lived up to my hopes for it). Even though it ended up being surprisingly heavy the Blur rode really well and never felt that heavy when riding it.

Russell96

U-Turn 100-130mm Revs on mine, just leave them at 110mm.

darrell
    Free Member

i’ve got Fox 100RLC on mine. I wouldnt use 120 or above. the old classic is designed for 100

aP
    Free Member

I rode my classic Blur with 120mm forks for 3 years without any problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What fork for SC Blur Classic (2004)’ is closed to new replies.