Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What fork for cotic soul
  • methers27
    Free Member

I have just got myself a cotic soul and I am wondering what fork people would recommend for:
    A) I go for fixed 120mm travel air fork

Or

B) I go for a travel adjust fork for 140-120mm but I’d want to run 120mm majority of the time

Thanks

methers27
    Free Member

Oh and for adjustable fork I was looking at 2014 revelation dp or fox talas, but I am open to suggestion

matther01
    Free Member

]null

]null

I have the 110-140 Talas Kashima RLC FIT shown here for sale. Done less than 80 miles if you’re interested?

tonyd

I had an older Mk2 Soul and ran a 130mm DTSwiss fork on it, thought it was very well suited. Personally I’d go 120 or 130 and forget travel adjust, but that’s just my preference.

joespencer33
    Free Member

I’m on 120mm floats and It doesn’t feel like I’ve got my head down really and haven’t wished for more travel yet.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ve tried various; reba fixed at 100, then 120 followed by revs at 140 then settled at 130. It really depends on what you are doing and personal preference. I’d have been quite happy to run 140 all the time but fine tuning thought the less is better for both slow tight and fast cornering singletrack but went for stiffer 20mm revs at a lower well sagged 130 for more stiffness and help with techy stuff. Based on that a 110-140 dp or something would be great or something like slants set at 120.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a theory: if you are towards the top end of the height for a particular size you are better with 100-120mm, if you are towards the lower end then up to 140mm.

Based purely on I’m 6′ on a medium (with a layback post) and find the front end wandery (sometimes even at 120) at ten best of times. My mates a couple of inches shorter and loves his at 130…

Currently got a set of 100/120/140 TALAS on at the moment (which I don’t like) but have a set of 120 floats which are much better IMO.

FOG

I started with 140 Revs but spaced them down to 120 which felt much better.

methers27
    Free Member

Interesting
    So what would people recommend for the fixed travel fork choice? Looking at 2014 offerings predominantly
    Has anyone used 2014 revelations with the dual position?
    How have people found the travel adjust on a soul to work?

xlaire
    Free Member

130mm for sure and you don’t need and won’t use travel adjust.

iainc

2014 Reba’s with 120mm travel on mine. Lush. Medium and 5ft 10.

jameso

I have some 20mm axle / taper steerer, black-box 120mm Rebas, Team or Ti? in black FS if you’re interested. 2012s. No decals as I swapped the 15mm lowers for 20mms. MIP. Got some 20mm f axle XT AM wheels to go with them also.. must make a proper FS ad list.

fathomer

120mm Rebas on mine.

tuffty
    Free Member

120 rebas on mine too. Love it.

sharkattack

I’m currently looking for some forks for my Bfe and not sure what way to go. I’m leaning towards 140-150mm travel. I’ve never ridden one before so I wouldn’t mind adjustable travel so I can get it dialled in.

Loads of cheap Fox 32’s available but I’m scared off by their reputation for weak dampers and constant maintenance.

tonyd

Pricey but I just treated myself to some DTSwiss XMM120s on my ASR5.

Be. You. Tea. Full.

deets

I’ve got some 110-140 Revs on my Soul and happy with them. I used to run them at lower travel and wind them out for descents, but now starting to run them longer and wind them in for climbs – depends what kind of ride your doing really.

I think the newer Revs and the Fox Talas are easier to adjust on the fly, but my old 2009 Revs require me to turn the knob about 10 times, which isn’t always convenient!

The bike’s great at any travel so not sure I could commit to a fixed travel fork. Maybe that says more about me than the bike though.

Scamper
    Free Member

Sharkattack – Went from my soul to the BFe and upped the artillery from 2010 Revs to far superior dual position slants. Had them at 130 most of the but on more downhill/straight line techy stuff at 160, although got caught out on tight flat corners a few times.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sharkattack I have twin position 150/110 Sektors on my BFe, they work very well.

OP to my mind the adjustable forks give you some flexibility for when you ride some longer more challenging downhills, most of the time you use the lower travel though

methers27
    Free Member

Jambalaya – that was what I wanted travel adjust for if I got it

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I had 140 Floats on mine, was perfect for me as it was my only bike. Wandered a little on climbs but the trade-off going down was worth it.

However, can see why folk would run 120, imagine it would be slightly sharper and a better all-rounder.

mintimperial

I run 110-140 Talas on mine, it’s grand. I run it at 110 almost all the time but I do like being able to have that little bit extra on occasion. I’d probably be perfectly happy with it fixed at 120 though, to be entirely honest.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I got some Velvet RL DLA forks on my soul which I am happy with, nice forks.
    If you get the normal Velvets you can run them at anyway between 80mm and 140mm (in 10mm jumps)

adsh
    Free Member

Raced took mine to the race Ash last weekend. It wears 120 rebas. Climbed really well without a hint of wander.

honourablegeorge

140 on mine, perfect

Northwind

I reckon if it must be fixed, 120mm is the best balance (I decided to build my Soda with 100mm as it’s a racier build, but ended up back on 120mm, couldn’t find a reason not to other than that it just didn’t seem thematically correct…)

U-turn suits Souls perfectly though, they’re not bikes where you need a climbing mode and a descending mode, but they are bikes with varied characters that you can bring out with different settings. Mine had the old 100-130mm u-turn revelation, absolutely made for it, even the graphics looked right.

methers27
    Free Member

I’ve read a few reviews where people say that an adjustable travel fork works well on a cotic even though they may be flawed on other bikes, I’m quite sold on a dual position revelation as long as they ride as well at low setting as they do on high

Northwind

Not sure about that. Never met a TALAS that impressed me, they’re always compromised. U-turn is a genuinely travel adjustable fork rather than a long fork with a “climb mode”, the fork works correctly at all lengths… but I don’t know if that holds true of dual position.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

If you have a bigger full sus then stick to some 100-120 SID’s or Floats, otherwise go for a travel adjust. That said i’ve never felt i needed more than 120 on mine…

donal
    Free Member

I have run a 90-130 u turn recon, a fixed travel rev at 140mm and 130mm, and a sid at 120mm. I felt 140mm was too much for 90% of the time. With the fixed travel forks at 130mm and 120mm you just set the bike up well and it climbed and dscended great. It was never perfect with the u turn, although it did allow me to play with settings.

The DP revs are also 150mm max. I would stay away unless the lower travel option works just as well as the longer travel option.

If I knew then what I know now, I would stick to a 130mm Rev (and I have 120mm Sid Rct3 which I am trying to sell to prove it).

metalheart
    Free Member

Another. Thing to consider about the DP revs, if they are 150mm they are too big for the Soul. Warranted UP to 140mm, if you want 150, get a BFe.

Over the years I’ve run my Soul with Vans (set at both 125 and 100), old Pikes (which I found too stiff for the Soul), the TALAS and the 120 Floats mentioned earlier. 120 Floats worked best for me.

I agree with everyone saying that travel adjust forks are great for working out what works for you, so if you can borrow or get hold of an old cheap set that would be ideal. After all it’s what you personally find works best that works best… :mrgreen:

methers27
    Free Member

Revs can be adjusted to max 140 but looking at this I think I’ll look for some 120 or 130 fixed travel forks then

donal
    Free Member

Methers27: If you are looking for some fixed travel 120mm Sid RCT3 (see my previous posts) get in touch. My email is in the profile.

leo72
    Free Member

My latest Cotic Soul build has a RS Sektor TK Solo Air 130 mm. My old Soul from 2004 has a RS Sektor Dual Position Coil 140-110 mm, but I always run it at 140 mm – even in all the climbs. Back in 2004 when I built it, I had my old Marzocchi Z1 Freeride 130 mm coil fork on it. It was a bit heavy but plush. 🙂

/Leo

alexpalacefan

There’s a guy selling some DLA Velvets on the classifieds that would be perfect.
    APF

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What fork for cotic soul’ is closed to new replies.