Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What folding knife?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

I have a Swiss army knife, but all I’m needing is a single blade that I can open with one hand.

I hear good things about Spyderco. I like the look of Browning but the ones I’m finding are all locking blade, which is why my Gerber tool stays in the garage now.

Cheers

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s a shame Opinel don’t make a single handed opener, then I could recommend an Opinel.

Cougar

They’re locking, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Use?

epicyclo

I had a Gerber Buck knife for about 30 years. Good solid blade I could shave with. I massaged the action so I could flick it open. Originally bought it for pig hunting.

Stopped carrying it everywhere because SWMBO was convinced I’d end up in gaol.

Edit: sorry, it’s a locking blade.

Cletus

Should be something here

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/c-1-92-641/

Spyderco would be my choice.

piemonster
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Shave with a knife and then go hunting pigs with it ? Sounds like proper man’s business.

redthunder
    Free Member

The one I use is from 1943 that was my grand dads.

Just a blade and marlin spike for getting arrows out 🙂

MIne…

CaptainSlow

I have one made by Buck. Easy to open, locks open. Can be opened and closed very easily with one hand. It has a nice black rubbery type of handle so not slippery when wet.

Excellent field sport knife, very robust. Came with a belt pouch. The perfect one handed knife IMO.

zbonty

Excuse my ignorance. Are locking blade types illegal to carry? If so, what’s the logic with that? I mean people are just as kill-able with any type of knife aren’t they?

ontor
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance. Are locking blade types illegal to carry? If so, what’s the logic with that? I mean people are just as kill-able with any type of knife aren’t they?

The Uk has a torturous set of knife laws – we’re the most paranoid country in the world about them if I recall correctly. It’s sort-of legal to carry a knife that locks and/or is over 3inches if you have sufficient justification, eg. you’re going camping or fishing etc. It’s not ok to have one because they’re a very useful thing to have and the locking aspect is somewhat frowned upon.
    you can carry a sub 3 inch non-locking folding knife and be ok, it’s the reason I like the svord peasant so much – it’s max length and the tang is clasped in the handle so it’s essentially impossible for it to fold on your fingers.

CountZero

Spyderco Squeak. Lovely little knife, typically easy to open one-handed, using the hole in the blade, but it’s designed so that when you hold it, your finger fits into the choil behind the blade, so that it’s impossible for the blade to close on your fingers. There’s a pause built into the blade at 90 degrees when you close it, to make it less likely to accidentally close it with your fingers in the way.
    Nice stumpy little blade, just a really useful little EDC knife.
    Just to make it clear, it’s a non-locking blade.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Michael Morris does a nice friction folder which you can spec to your requirements. Single handed opening and, most importantly, a bottle opener.

http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com/

joepose
    Free Member

Have a look at the Leatherman skeletool cx, open with one hand and other tools too?

CountZero

This is the Squeak, while I’m trying to force the blade closed on my finger:

This is how the blade pauses while you close the blade:

Just about the nearest you’ll get to a lock-blade without it having a lock.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Leatherman Skeletool has a locking blade. Great knife though – the CX has carbon fibre insert and a 154cm blade.

Little Spydy or Benchmade – I think Heinnie has some UK specific non-lockers.

mark90
    Free Member

154cm blade

Definately not a legal carry 😉

Some nice knives on 5thElefants link, although guessing this might not be a legal EDC….

(clicky linky piccy)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What folding knife?’ is closed to new replies.