• This topic has 45 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What focus sized car should i buy for £3k?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Don’t need anything spectacular, just economical and reliable.

parkesie
    Free Member

A focus 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

A Focus ?

🙂

crofts2007
    Free Member

Rover 45 diesel. comfier to drive longer distances if you can live with the image.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Lol. Focus definitely on the shortlist!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested a Chrysler Crossfire yet? No? Ok then a Focus.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rover not a good suggestion, esp as they no longer exist. So dealer support / part would be an issue. Astra’s are reasonable, or fur ultimate reliability perhaps a Toyota or jap car?

fivespot
    Free Member

Focus it is then 😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

Golf – get some reliability from the fatherland – everyone say heil!

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

br
    Free Member

Rover not a good suggestion, esp as they no longer exist. So dealer support / part would be an issue. Astra’s are reasonable, or fur ultimate reliability perhaps a Toyota or jap car?

You are spending £3k, whatever you buy will never see a dealer.

And because they no longer exist there value has plumetted, consequently the scrap/dismantling yards are full of them = plenty of spares.

But just buy a Focus.

imnotamused
    Free Member

if I’m going to be bullied into a focus sized focus then, what engines have good reliability records or any to avoid?

parkesie
    Free Member

1.8 petrols are a good giggle could just about get a st170 if your feeling a bit nuts. The diesels are a good strong motor. No major dramas with any so long as theyre looked after as with any car.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Avoid anything below 1.6 they’re truly gutless! Personally I’d go 1.8 zetec or the 1.8tdci – look for fsh!

parkesie
    Free Member

If you want to get something a bit quirky but good value for money maybe a citroen c4.

bigbloke
    Free Member

The diesel engines are a good bet as they were a joint project with PSA (peugeot/Citroen) so are TDCI in Fords and HDi in Pugs/Citroens they are well proven units but look after them properly as with most modern diesels.

Not too sure about the petrol engines, father did have a 1.6 (iirc)Cmax which felt a little underwhelming, may have been a 1.8 but not sure.

Think also Pug 307, Citroen C4 , Renault Megane or Seat Leon?

Speshpaul

With the focus be careful with the smaller engines, on paper the 1.6 might look cheap to keep, but on the road the mpg isn’t very good for a little engine, 30-33mpg. The 1.8’s are solid, infact the whole zetec duratec range of engines is solid.
    My brother has 2.0l Ghia petrol and he see 38/39mpg week in week out.

the 45 is a nice car, there are parts out there, the main problem with the Rovers is the head gasket on the K series engine, find one thats had the head done and then done a 10k and it should be alright. The ZT’s are nice.
    But so are Focus St170’s 33k will buy you one, and they a are cheap to live with.
    But then you could have a Civic type R, might need to spend a little more………….I’m not helping now am I:-)

Golf, if they float your boat, personelly i don’t see where the extra money goes.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Interesting that the 307 and Focus share the same diesel engine. I drove a 307 HDi hire car once, ragged it and still got 55mpg and it had plently of guts.

Seen a 07 pug 307 1.6 hdi for 5k with 50k on the clock. Will go take a look at it.

Speshpaul

“Think also Pug 307, Citroen C4 , Renault Megane or Seat Leon? “

Pug yes, C4 maybe, Megane……..run run away!! I know some traders who simply won’t take them in on a px any more. terribly unreliable (prompt for someone who did 150k in “the” one that never missed a beat)

Seat Leon, i’ve got a 59 plate one outside now, goes well, but bits are falling off it, it rattles. Funnily enough a lot of those bits have got VW logos on.

Olly
    Free Member

I was told, by my garage (not one who sold me the car, or even sells cars)
    that PSA engines went to the dogs around 2006 with the advent of the 12 generation DW engine (1.6HDi)

for a relaible engine, they STRONGLY reccomended changing back to my 2L 206 estate, but only if I could get a 2L one specifically
    its a bit tractory, and slow (90bhp) but easily pulls 55mpg combine, 60 on a run, and the engine will keep going long after all the wheels and doors have fallen off.

great for bikes.

my current one was privately bought for 3995, with 35k on the clock. (barely run in on a diesel)

my previous was bought from a Peugeot dealer for 5k with 28k on the clock

new one is identical, other than being silver/blue depending on the light (a pretty girly colour, so have named it Daisy)

Speshpaul

A car dealers dream! You just found another £2k 😆

Olly
    Free Member

incidently, the car i got rid of was a 307SW 1.6HDi.

it was fast as death, quiet, and smooth, but it was built from the inside out.

the cabin was LOVERLY, but the mechanicals underneath were a freakin nightmare.

had it 4 months, and spent 600 quid on it.

hence why i changed back to the 206.

its VERY reliant on its computers and “clever little thingys” which would be great if it was a more expensive car, but they have all been built down to a price (and not a very high one)

(indeed spesh paul, but it was 4 years ago, and a younger car)

belonthium
    Free Member

VAUXHALL ASTRA, RENAULT Megane, SEAT Leon. but I think astra is the best choice

Olly
    Free Member

Duffer
    Free Member

Can’t believe there’s only been 1 and-a-half votes for the Golf! Someone even voted for a Citroen, for crying out loud!

The Focus is nice enough, but personally i just don’t like Fords. For me, Golf every time. Get yourself a nice 1.9 TDI (with the 6 speed box ideally) and you’ll not regret it.

belonthium
    Free Member

I dont like ford too, I agree about golf!I forgot about it =)

Speshpaul

Olly, that wasn’t for you (its always about you isn’t it 😀 )
    The thread started about a focus for £3k now he is looking at a pug for £5K, and the salesman hasn’t made him a cup of crap coffe yet:-)

imnotamused
    Free Member

lol – 3-5k ish 😆

Well spotted, even I missed that. Money to burn yee haaa!

Olly
    Free Member

oops, sorry, i am quite self centred its true.

RE the golf:

i was looking for one, but for the money i had (4k) i could get a 35k 206 or similar, or a golf that wouldn’t be lower than 100k. (unless it was borked)

just tooooo overpriced for what they are (though not denying they are nice)

parkesie
    Free Member

a bike friendly alternatve maybe.

SKODA Roomster 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

duffer + belonthium

Sense at last!

In my now rather lengthy experience Fords are o.k. only coz parts are cheap!! – Vauxhall are terrible and all French cars ‘surrender’ at about years 8-10 when niggly faults appear; usually electrics, windows, etc etc

So after 25years on the road my advice – buy German or Swedish

Little experience of Japanese stuff barring a hideous little Toyota Corolla in OZ which managed to shed a lot of body parts along the Pacific Highway

Have a soft spot for SAAB’s although they’ve been victim until recently of GM modification -they’re still terrific cars; I’ve had 4 of them; totally solid, reliable and dependable

crofts2007
    Free Member

1.8 tdci focus.
    Have done 65k in less than 2 years, company car, drive it hard and get 40 to 45 mpg.
    Could apparently do 50 mpg if I drove it like it was my own.
    Avoid the 1.6 tdci as there has been documented engine problems.
    Rover reference from my previous car, fits your description.

“Don’t need anything spectacular, just economical and reliable.”

Did 70k in three years, ran until about 165k on the clock and as said, plenty of dead ones around for donor parts.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one suggested Skoda fabia or Octavia yet.

Bregante

If you can live with the image, I’d say a corolla diesel. Owned by the blue rinse brigade. Rock solid motors.

Edit: Apart from the one tankslapper had. Not sure whether the Oz ones will come from the same factory as uk models. We had a few at work for years and they really were a great little car. We’ve now got a few of the Auris too and they’re just as good.

mudshark
    Free Member

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Try telling that to the Puma I just had MOTed, 10 years old and only thing I’ve done is change the cam belt.

SKODA Roomster

I’m getting one – the sensible, if possibly slightly boring, choice.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Puma? Jeez!! 10 years in a ‘hair dressers’ car! Raaaaaaasspeckt!

clubber
    Free Member

Very happy with our 06 Focus LX 1.6 which has been faultless from new other than:

– AC leaked from new which would have been easily fixed if the dealer hadn’t been completely useless 🙄
    – Power steering hose came loose at 2.5 years. Easily fixed under warranty.

Comfortable, reliable decent to drive and planning to keep it a while yet. In fact happy enough with Ford to have also bought a Mondeo which has been great too.

mudshark
    Free Member

Puma? Jeez!! 10 years in a ‘hair dressers’ car!

I think it’s more an ex-hairdressers’ car surely – no self respecting hairdresser has been seen in one for years! It’s great and I will miss it.

Northwind

I’d second the comments about smaller engined Foci, I have a 1.8 TDDI- hardly a mighty powerplant- and my dad has the 1.6 petrol and the difference in drivability is enormous. The 1.6 is pretty rapid once the engine’s spinning but the low down power is poor, it’s like a motorbike engine. Quite a lot of fun on the open road but for nadgering around town it’s not so good, and the mpg isn’t great in the real world since if you want to make progress you need to rev it a lot. Heavily loaded it’s quite hard work too. Still, lovely little car.

My own TDDI is older and a bit more sheddy 😉 But it goes, it stops, it has a boot so vast you could almost fit another Focus in it, and it’s pretty small for its capacity- I’m not sure if it’s best in class but it’s up there, the full-width boot and no boot lip are both a big deal I reckon. Back seat legroom isn’t great but otherwise I’ve not much bad to say about it.

The TDs do have a wee bit of a rep for DMF failures though, on higher miles. At 110000 miles it’s feeling a bit baggy but still works better than some other models do with half the miles.

Both of them need a 6th gear mind. And don’t buy a silver one, you’ll park it in Tesco one day and never find it again. From out my window I can see 20 cars, 14 are Foci of some description and 11 are silver :mrgreen:

Last thing, I’d have gone for a Mondeo and I think they make more sense, but the extra size literally meant one won’t fit on my driveway. But you get more there for your money IMO.

colande
    Free Member

I can only comment on my car but no one has mentioned a 306 pugeot,
    I’ve got an 306 estate with a gutless non turbo 1.9 diesel engine,
    but I calculated it doing 50mpg,
    very cheap insurance group 4,

it’s been ok reliabilty wise i bought it 2nd hand and only had to replace consumables tyres,brake pads discs, cambelt etc, in the last 2 years.

as a small estate its pretty massive inside

Neil-F
    Free Member

Mazda 3?
    1.6 is a decent lump, dunno what the deisels are like but they are a nice drive and handle superbly. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What focus sized car should i buy for £3k?’ is closed to new replies.